Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Living On...

This is a strange post, but one I've been needing to write for a few months. It all started to come down about three months ago. I got an email from a young man in his 20's whose father was a fairly active HAMBer in the early to mid 2000's. With his ...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
g-lover51

Default Re: Living On...

This post really has struck a nerve with me. Thank you for sharing it with all of us Ryan.
Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
williebill

I agree.The HAMB will be a huge historical asset in the years to come.This is a very special place.Thank you,Ryan.

Sell me your Appleton 552s...they look ugly on your car
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
G V Gordon
Old School HAMBer

This week I attended the funeral of my old scout master, a man who had a big influence on me and a lot of other young men. His son and I have been good friends for most of our lives. We were talking about how with didgital media so much what was saved from the past may be lost because nothing is hand written anymore. I hope this young man printed off his fathers posts and saved them.

The hand written thank you, letter, or card is still something most cherish. Modern technology is great but you can't pick it up and hold it, or fold and refold the note from 50 years ago that you carried for so long the words are barely legible.

Great story and a lesson on why we need to leave a written history behind.

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll go write a note to my grandson now.

www.vagabonds.cc

http://www.pinheadlounge.com/gvgordon

Are fake bull scrotums on Chrysler produced pickup trucks considered "Dodge Balls"
online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
JeffSled
Old School HAMBer

Location: A place where cars drive at the same height that they park.

What a great post this was,that is great.... he is getting to read his Dads old post's and gets to know a different side.This really makes you think,thanks for posting.

Friend's don't let friend's lay frame.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Dreddybear
Old School HAMBer

Wow. That's really a neat thing that happened. I suppose it would be like finding an old journal or something. I have to post more meaningful shit...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Yeah for real, this really hits home after losing my father in 2007 (when I was 25) due to a stroke. While my father was not a HAMB member and we never had any cool cars growing up. But he did take me to cars shows and cruise nights when ever I wanted to but never really forced me to dig the things he dug....by doing so he sparked my interest and I can see many of the same interests now that I'm a little older.

I can only imagine how comforting it is to go back a reread some of his father's threads and posts when ever he feels disconnected. I end up having to tell people about my father whether it's funny stories or things I remember from my childhood whenever I feel like I am losing touch.

If nothing else the HAMB has brought people together. Whether it's two guys who have become friends after lengthy exchanges of PM's and such, or a son and his now passed father seeking some connection on a level that was not made in the time they had together.

Thank You Ryan.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Midwest Rodder

That post got me thinking real hard about my father, I wish I could go back and lark more about him like this fellow did. Great post, thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
blacktopbuddha
Alliance Member

The HAMB is an incredible archive and immense asset. Posts from some of the most accomplished builders to newbs wanting to know what to look for in their first car make this place what it is. You really have to go beyond the day to day thread posting and search into the belly of this beast to get a true feel for it. To top it off, anyone with internet access could come here to read and see photos about traditional rods. No print publication comes close to having this access to our little chunk of the world. Ryan, what you started and continue to keep chugging along is invaluable. VIVA LA HAMB
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
DaveInc

NIce!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
hotrod1940
Old School HAMBer

You have gained a new found sense of well being as this is something that you didn't expect, but it is a fact.
How great it is, that something so moving and profound is a part of your legacy now. If you gained nothing more from this website, it is a good feeing to know that you have affected quite a few folks.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

It's always struck me as funny in a way how significant our basic daily thoughts can be when reveiwed a couple of years down the road. It always seems that after the "history" has happened for good or bad, you can see the thinking that led to the event unfolding. It is even more earthshaking to read the writings of those that can't speak for themselves anymore. I know that being able to tap into the knowledge and humor of those now gone keeps them alive on some level, even if just in memory. The first member here that comes to mind is C9...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
hotrodmonk55

Thanks man. I had similar feeling when I found some notes from my old man in the pages of an old hotrod mag. New insight into what he was thinking/doing when he was my age. My old man is still around thankfully and this makes me want to cherish all the time I can get with him.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
Langan
Alliance Member

Thank You very much for this post.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #15
ToddJ

This post really struck a nerve with me! I lost my dad in 2005. He was never a computer guy back then, but had I been able to introduce him to the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB, he'd have quickly become an internet junkie. I grew up listening to his stories of hanging out and building hot rods with his buddies, listened to stories of his heroes- Watson, Barris, Von Dutch, Winfield, and many more. He inspired my love of hot rods and customs at a very early age and I owe him a huge thanks for that. Thanks for posting this and Thank you for the HAMB.

Visit my Blog: www.tjonesdesign.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #16
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Wow, thats pretty heavy when you think about it.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
meatball
Old School HAMBer

Ryan,,just think how proud your kids will be many years from now when then "discover" what a truly huge thing you created for so many people...............
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

It's things like that that make one's day. And a reminder for me that I need to ask my sister about Dad's journal that he kept during the time he was in the Army Air Corps. I read parts of it when I was a teenager but it would really mean something now and I hope it didn't get thrown away by my brotherinlaw who doesn't like anything old being kept around.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
caseyscustoms
BANNED

awesome story.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
pug man
Alliance Member

WOW Ryan, great post for sure... I guess with all the post that we do on here about whatever it all comes down to the people. We all have asked each other about this and that and along the way have developed some friendships. What a nice legacy to leave behind.... THANKS.......