Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Living On...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

This post really has struck a nerve with me. Thank you for sharing it with all of us Ryan.

3. williebill

williebill

I agree.The HAMB will be a huge historical asset in the years to come.This is a very special place.Thank you,Ryan.

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

This week I attended the funeral of my old scout master, a man who had a big influence on me and a lot of other young men. His son and I have been good friends for most of our lives. We were talking about how with didgital media so much what was saved from the past may be lost because nothing is hand written anymore. I hope this young man printed off his fathers posts and saved them.

The hand written thank you, letter, or card is still something most cherish. Modern technology is great but you can't pick it up and hold it, or fold and refold the note from 50 years ago that you carried for so long the words are barely legible.

Great story and a lesson on why we need to leave a written history behind.

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll go write a note to my grandson now.

5. What a great post this was,that is great.... he is getting to read his Dads old post's and gets to know a different side.This really makes you think,thanks for posting.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Wow. That's really a neat thing that happened. I suppose it would be like finding an old journal or something. I have to post more meaningful shit...

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah for real, this really hits home after losing my father in 2007 (when I was 25) due to a stroke. While my father was not a HAMB member and we never had any cool cars growing up. But he did take me to cars shows and cruise nights when ever I wanted to but never really forced me to dig the things he dug....by doing so he sparked my interest and I can see many of the same interests now that I'm a little older.

I can only imagine how comforting it is to go back a reread some of his father's threads and posts when ever he feels disconnected. I end up having to tell people about my father whether it's funny stories or things I remember from my childhood whenever I feel like I am losing touch.

If nothing else the HAMB has brought people together. Whether it's two guys who have become friends after lengthy exchanges of PM's and such, or a son and his now passed father seeking some connection on a level that was not made in the time they had together.

Thank You Ryan.

8. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

That post got me thinking real hard about my father, I wish I could go back and lark more about him like this fellow did. Great post, thanks.

9. The HAMB is an incredible archive and immense asset. Posts from some of the most accomplished builders to newbs wanting to know what to look for in their first car make this place what it is. You really have to go beyond the day to day thread posting and search into the belly of this beast to get a true feel for it. To top it off, anyone with internet access could come here to read and see photos about traditional rods. No print publication comes close to having this access to our little chunk of the world. Ryan, what you started and continue to keep chugging along is invaluable. VIVA LA HAMB

10. DaveInc

DaveInc

11. You have gained a new found sense of well being as this is something that you didn't expect, but it is a fact.
    How great it is, that something so moving and profound is a part of your legacy now. If you gained nothing more from this website, it is a good feeing to know that you have affected quite a few folks.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's always struck me as funny in a way how significant our basic daily thoughts can be when reveiwed a couple of years down the road. It always seems that after the "history" has happened for good or bad, you can see the thinking that led to the event unfolding. It is even more earthshaking to read the writings of those that can't speak for themselves anymore. I know that being able to tap into the knowledge and humor of those now gone keeps them alive on some level, even if just in memory. The first member here that comes to mind is C9...

13. Thanks man. I had similar feeling when I found some notes from my old man in the pages of an old hotrod mag. New insight into what he was thinking/doing when he was my age. My old man is still around thankfully and this makes me want to cherish all the time I can get with him.

14. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Thank You very much for this post.

15. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

This post really struck a nerve with me! I lost my dad in 2005. He was never a computer guy back then, but had I been able to introduce him to the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB, he'd have quickly become an internet junkie. I grew up listening to his stories of hanging out and building hot rods with his buddies, listened to stories of his heroes- Watson, Barris, Von Dutch, Winfield, and many more. He inspired my love of hot rods and customs at a very early age and I owe him a huge thanks for that. Thanks for posting this and Thank you for the HAMB.

16. Wow, thats pretty heavy when you think about it.

17. Ryan,,just think how proud your kids will be many years from now when then "discover" what a truly huge thing you created for so many people...............

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's things like that that make one's day. And a reminder for me that I need to ask my sister about Dad's journal that he kept during the time he was in the Army Air Corps. I read parts of it when I was a teenager but it would really mean something now and I hope it didn't get thrown away by my brotherinlaw who doesn't like anything old being kept around.

19. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

20. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

WOW Ryan, great post for sure... I guess with all the post that we do on here about whatever it all comes down to the people. We all have asked each other about this and that and along the way have developed some friendships. What a nice legacy to leave behind.... THANKS.......

21. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

That is just to damn cool. Go figure. Love the HAMB. Slim

22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

wow...
    on many levels.

23. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Congratulations, Ryan...

You've found (and shared) a lot more than 'just another reason the HAMB is such a great thing'

24. Thanks

an interesting gift this family has found ... second hand by first hand account...
    alot like finding missing pages of a diary or journal.... oh wait it is a journal!!!!!!!

ya had it figgered alll along..

when is the HAMB FAMILY potluck weekend ?

how will divide up the meal menu?

I spend quite a bit of time with my parents that are in their mid 80's +
    seems in the longer road trips many of the stories they tell are repititous ... then out of the blue comes a gem that I had not heard before and know full well that I am the only one of my 5 brothers that have heard it ... and sometimes when talking with my brothers I know for sure they have not heard 80%of the repititious ones either..

how to capture that moment and how is this information passed on? ..

the art of story telling , legend making ,factual ,fiction......

thanks again for the daily adventure..

25. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

very good.....

26. bob-o

bob-o

That's so cool that this young man has gained some insight into who his father was (outside of being a dad) by finding and reading his old posts here. That's really struck a chord with me. I'm 27, and only started to really get to know my dad. I've spent my whole life wrenching and learning with the old man, but it wasn't until the last couple of years that we've become friends. I feel fortunate to have this time with him. And the Anonymous young man is at least fortunate enough to have this place to get to know his Pops a lil better. Way cool. Cheers.

27. I lost my dad in 2005. He loved cars and would take me to test drive new ones on Sundays,when I was around 9 and 10. He only had a few car stories,but they were pretty funny. We never bonded over cars,but did over sports. It's hard for me to watch baseball,football,and most of all,boxing,without him. After my mom passed,in 2002,he started telling me all about his WWII adventures. Pretty humbling,considering he was only 18 at that time.

That was a great story,Ryan. My friend,Mike LeNarz,has had a similar thing happen to him,because of the life his father,Dick LeNarz,had before he was born. Working at Bell Auto Parts,working on the Berodini Roadsters,and other fascinating historical stuff. makes you think...

28. Wow very cool! -great post

29. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Ryan..... thanks for sharing this with us. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished here. I can tell you I am proud to be a part of this. Viva la HAMB!

30. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

This one hit home really hard because I loved my Dad a lot and although he did many things with me in sports he really wasn't a car guy at all . His Dad was because he owned his own gas stations when I was young and always went there ever summer to live with them . Loved to watch the mechanic fix the cars and I would get to help with the pumping gas sometimes . I loved the grease and ever thing that went with it . I also took things apart just to see how they worked but couldn't get them back together just right to work again . Got into lots of trouble doing those things when I was very young but just had to know how it worked !
    My Dad really loved sports as I did back then but in the last 5 years before I lost my Dad , I really got to know what he really loved to do . I probably learned more about my Dad in the last 5 years of his life than the entire 52 years he lived . I lost my Dad when I was 29 years old to a heart attack . I saw him at the store waiting for my Mom in the car that they just came back from a long trip that he was very happy with because he was going to get a new place to work at . We talked for about 5 mins and told me he would tell me everything when they got home That was about 5 mins away from home . After an hour I thought they saw some friends and was just shooting the bull with them .
    No more than 5 mins after I said see you when you get home , My Dad had a massive heart attack and I didn't even know it . About an hour later I got that awful call at home telling me what happened . I got into my car and raced down the road swerving in and out of cars like I was driving a race . I know I was doing about 90 mph in a 45 mph road but I didn't care . Well I beat them to the hospital and waited till they got there . I saw my Dad as they took him off the ambulance and he was not awake . My Mom and I and some friends waited in a room by ourselves , so I knew it was real bad , and about 45 mins later the Dr opened the door and said " I am sorry ! We did everything we could " Then the door closed and I looked at my Mom in disbelieve . I gave my Mom a hug then turned and hit the metal cabinets as hard as I could cussing . Couldn't move my hand because I thought I broke it .
    So yes I know just what you are referring to but I didn't have a place like the HAMB to really find out what my Dad was all about . And yes as tears roll down my face typing this , after 29 years I still miss my Dad something awful ! I loved my Dad a lot and really respected him in what he did for a living . He was Minister/Preacher of a large church and still don't understand why he was taken away from my family at such a young age !

Great story and I am glad that man had a place to find out about his Dad and what he was really like !

Retro Jim