Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Job #18, HA/GR, '12 build thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

HA/GR #18 '12 build thread.

Link to '11 build thread.
    Link to '10 build thread.
    Link to '09 build thread.
    Link to '07/'08 build thread.

Name: "Barn Job #18"
    Team: "Geezerspeed"

[​IMG]

Based on this .........
    [​IMG]

Engine: '60 225" Chrysler "slant" six
    Carbs: three HIF6 SUs
    Gearbox: '62 Valiant 3 sp.
    Rear end: '67 Ford 8", 4.62>1
    Wheelbase: 125"
    ET: 12.941
    MPH: 105.50

Records:
    '07 First mid engine HA/GR.
    '07 First running HA/GR, left coast.
    '08 Winner, 1st HA/GR (unofficial) "meet", left coast.
    '08 Quickest & fastest HA/GR, left coast.
    '09 2nd place, ANRA I & II Open Wheel class.
    '09 1st place, ANRA II HA/GR sub meet.
    '09 1st 12 sec HA/GR pass, left coast.
    '10 Most HA/GR parts breakage in one season, any coast. :rolleyes:
    '11 1st place, ANRA I, II, & III HA/GR sub meets.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Kiddies,

Well, all the Parade hooplah's finally wound down, so I guess it's time to get started on the new year. I've been having some fun in the garage the last few weeks, getting the Barn Job ready for the '12 season. I'm planning a lot more strip time this year, including finally getting to Mokan.

This winter's work ........

Moved front cage hoop forward to clear helmet better.
    (my LAST major concession to NHRA's eternally changing rules, if it isn't enough now, fuck'em)
    Relocated two cross members for better engine access.
    Moved radiator aft for better breathing & weight transfer.
    Rewired car completely & properly, replaced all my temporary stuff. [​IMG]
    Managed to get 25 more lbs out of the car in the process.
    Managed to get 5 more lbs out of the driver. [​IMG]
    Replaced stock iron flywheel with a steel one.
    Re-finished dash. [​IMG]

I'll get some pictures into the album (and a couple teasers here) next week.

Got a better rear end, but likely won't have it in by the ANRA Opener.

Also have a surprise later in the season. But y'all'll just have to wait. :p

Looking forward to April, and especially to Eagle Field in May. [​IMG]
    Anyone heard any more on Dragfest?
    The last I had was for May 6th at Bako, but I haven't been able to find any more on it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Dick you are making a lot of progress, I can't wait to see you and Bob Huberty (2-B) The MOKAN Champ, line up at MOKAN, maybe there will be a few more cars there. If Ryan would let the Automatic cars run HA/GR-A you might see a lot more cars.

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Joe,

I'll line up against anyone ..... with a grin. You know that. :D
    For me it'll always be the fun of doing it the old ways. :cool:
    It'll be a privilege to have my clock cleaned by 2b, I really like that car.

Also, I haven't forgot the cars & info you've sent me (just been lazing around, recuperating from the Parade ..... yeah, sure). I've been catching up to my customers, and my house & yard work (that wind thing was brutal here). I'll get'em all updated & added shortly, thanks for doing the legwork on'em.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

5. bobw

bobw

Sure good to see you working on the Barn Job. Especially cool that you are heading for MoKan. I think Rocky is bringing the HA/GR along with the Evil Twin. I'll be there with my HA/GRa. I don't mind running the regular dragster class, if that's the way is works out. The main thing is to meet you guys.
    My 2008 Rule Book shows the roll cage requirement that you are now making. So it is not that new of a rule. I didn't get a 2012 Rule Book so I hope there's no surprises in it.

Looking forward to the pics, now that you have recovered from float building.

6. Old28

Old28

Well Dick it is nice to see you back on the board again, that float stuff is about doing you in.:rolleyes:

I hope Danny V has that front bar in the right place on my ride or I will have to modify the front of my helmet to make it work. He has really helped me out during my recovery. Still hope to make the opener.:D

I will send you an updated picture when I get it home in a few weeks.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Bob, the 10 second cage rules've been there for quite awhile, they're in the '07 book that I built to then. At that time 12+ second cars only needed a roll bar, and I built in good faith, choosing 1 3/4" tube over the 1 1/2" required (as recommended in the original formulation of the class), and building a six point (rather than the required four point) design. Neither did we need arm restraints, full fire suits, nor several other things they've since saddled us with.

This class was originally targeted over 11.99 seconds (via the physics of the tire rules) specifically to avoid these expensive overkills, to keep it affordable and fun, the things folks like me want.
    NHRA has elected to completely ignore the fact of our tires and force us into the expenditures, professionalization, and subsequent demoralization, of their 10 second rules. Hell, even those among us that choose to miss the concept of the early '50s style of building & racing a garage car (and spend too much money, and use too modern techniques) are only buying one more second, running mid 11s. In raw physics that's still impossibly distant from 9.99 (the actual break called "10") with our engine, carb, fuel, and tire limitations.

I intend to enjoy the class the way it was meant, and they want to turn it into yet another "newstalgia" clone tailored for their TV bullshit version of what the sport was. You can readily see the vintage parts on my car, from the '53 fighter seat to the '31 front end. they well represent the early '50s style build I carried throughout the car. Even my choice of the odd slant engine (two valve, four main, over square, flat piston, pushrod, inline six) well represents the era. My entire car, engine work & all, was done by me in my own garage except for the valve seats, cam, and milling (and had I those machines? ...... well, take a guess). No custom pistons, rods, valves, heads, etc, nothing that wouldn't be at an early '50s strip.

Honestly, the single biggest reason I've knuckled under this far is to try to help Butch & ANRA. He's a great guy, he's done his best to help us, and he deserves far better than what they're doing to him.

I fully expect'em to continue their bullshit, with mandatory chassis certs, etc, added 'til they leave nothing of our intended class. 'Til we're just one more of their pathetically boring pastel plastic injection molded rolling jokes of what really was.
    No thank you.

Sorry for the rant, Bob, it's against the wind, not you.
    Still, it stands, I've indeed reached my limit.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Now, now, you know modifying a bucket's yet one more "NHRA no-no". :rolleyes:

It's good to be back, Sir. Thank you.
    I've made changes in my relationship with the float, good ones.
    Ones that favor my other hobbies, firstly drag racing. :cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Bako this year, and your car with you when ready (always good to see more nice work). :D
    I hope the work I've done will be acceptable too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Modified buckets? Hell if it was up to me I'd bring back open face helmets and push starts.:p

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sounds good to me too. :cool:

11. bobw

bobw

Dick, I totally agree with you that the rules are overkill for our cars. NHRA has neither the flexibility nor desire to make these kinds of judgements. Could be partially caused by their insurance carriers. The strictness on slow, open cars is out of proportion to the risks, in my opinion. I guess there just aren't enough cars of this ilk to warrant consideration.

I feel rediculous in a full Class 5 suit, with neck colar, arm restraints, full face helmet, etc. and be the slowest car at Test and Tune.

We need more Eagle Fields!

12. Old28

Old28

Dick, We have missed your passion for the class:eek:

Paint my skull bucket real nice and all they want to see is that you got 2005 or 2010 tag.:D

I will, I will, I hope!!! be at the opener with the car. May be me in the seat or a better shoe for a one race gig. Even if the car is not ready, it will be there for show & tell.:rolleyes:

13. bobw

bobw

Dick, some time ago you posted how you set up your distributor. I have been searching for an hour with no luck. I believe it was a manual advance/retard that you controlled from the cockpit. Are you willing to share this speed secret?

14. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

That sounds like aircraft trickory to me.

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not a "speed secret", just a convenience.

I run a locked distributor, but had a lever that could move it back a few degrees in order to start & idle easier when cold. On my HIF SUs I bypassed the "enrichment" (choke) circuits in order to have'em function as earlier pre-smog HS carbs did, this left me with a difficult cold start.

Unforunately it tended to work itself around slightly under vibration, so I eventually dropped it and put in a stronger battery rather than fight it. Now I just crank'er 'til she catches when cold.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Once in a while I do hop on a soapbox, don't I? :eek:
    Just ignore me at those times. My wife'll tell you how, she has it DOWN. :D

Ridiculous? Yeah, and I've even had a couple slingshot herders whine that all they think we are is "wannabe dragster drivers". I haven't a clue what to say to so deep a drag racing history ignorance by an actual nostalgia participant, all I could do was stare at'em in wonder. :confused:

Excellent, Sir. :D

Well, with the New'Dale now closed, I guess I'll have to look into Barona. I've heard both good and bad about it, but with Fontucky's back-pedalling we have even fewer choices down here.

Anyone at all heard ANYTHING about Dragfest?

17. bongzilla

bongzilla
    from londun

I'll be there with my HA/GRa. I don't mind running the regular dragster class, if that's the way is works out. The main thing is to meet you guys. [​IMG]

18. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

be where mokan or eagle field,how about some pics .if mokan you must pre register

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Likely Mokan.
    Minnesota, Kentucky, and Ohio each sport a London, with Conneticut having a New London as well.
    All of'em are far closer to Mokan than Eagle Field.

Also, Mokan's the only place it would be a consideration.
    Eagle Field's strictly grudge matching, we run whoever we want.

And yes, pics please. :D

20. bobw

bobw

I do believe Mr. Bongzilla lifted my statement posted earlier in this thread (post #5). As I have the only HA/GRa in the country (I made up the designation).:D

If I'm wrong, he can bring his bong, his zilla and his HA/GRa to MoKan and I'll race him.:p

21. Old28

Old28

Bob, Thats bad when the dude takes the word's right out of your mouth for a second run through.:mad:

I would not hold my breath for a "match race" at Mokan.;)

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Bored, and now surprised. :eek:

On a whim, I did a couple searches. There're 12 Londons in the U.S, in 11 states (2 in Alabama).
    If you add "New" to London there're now 25.
    Throw in Township, -derry, Springs, Mills, and Britain, and you collect 33 total, in 25 states.

Definitely more than I knew, or ever suspected. :D
    I mean, England has only one. :p

And not a one of'em spells it with a "U". :rolleyes:

Yep, a slow day today.

Glad there's only one L.A, or I might never find my way home. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  23. Old28

Old28

OK Dick, you have had a few days off to get back into race mode. Now we need pictures of the modifications you made to the car.:D

I don't read all that well, writing is not a strong point, but I am an ace at looking at pictures.;)

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, I finally got the album updated, sort of ........

I've added some pictures of the radiator relocation to the rear, the new front cage hoop, the moved gearbox mount, and the new wiring.
    I still have more on the "to do" list, and will add to the album as I get'er done.

But, here're a couple "teasers" anyway, see the album link for the rest ........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

For all of your "whining about wiring" it looks pretty good! Cage looks good too.:p

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, it came out lookin' better'n I figured it would. When the front hoop's on it's more of a PITA to get in & out though. You'll need a hand, and Kay won't be able to at all.
    Shitload easier when it's off however. :cool:

Said I hate wiring, didn't say I couldn't do it. ;)

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Starting to sound like someone with a Sharps. :p

28. bobw

bobw

I finally figured out how to view your pictures. All the improvements for 2012 are well thought out and nicely executed.
    I know about getting out being difficult. I had to cut a hole in my cowl sheet metal so I can grab the tube underneath and use it for a handle.
    Did you make the holes in the frame rails with a hand held drill motor?

You guys will be racing pretty soon. We've had such a mild winter I'm expecting a long, cold wet spring.

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:D

Best way, once you get into the album, is to hit the "slideshow" link (script, upper right), then hit the "stop" link (double bars, lower left), then the "full screen" link (four arrows, lower right), then the "show info" link (script, upper right). Now you can go through'em at will, using your left & right keyboard arrows.
    I'd set the posted links up that way but it doesn't repeat, just goes back to the album set.
    Perhaps one day Flick'r'll make that available.

Yeah, side handle hand held drill with Milwaukee hole saws. Shitload of hand filing to break all the edges, but the build's the thing for me, so that's just fun.
    'Course my wrists hate me afterward ........ :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Not on topic I guess, but I was pokin' around in my files, and rediscovered a '10 Eagle Field picture that I've added to my desk top rotation. :D

[​IMG]

Folks, there now follows a bit of good old fashioned internet drama. Should you wish to pass on it, please go on to the next page, post #49. :D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012