Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Job #18 - Build thread (please do not respond here)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

HA/GR #18 '07/'08 build thread.
    Link to '09 build thread

Name: "Barn Job #18" (Build photos link)
    Team: "Geezerspeed"

[​IMG]

Engine: '60 225" Chrysler "slant" six
    Carbs: three HIF6 SUs
    Gearbox: '62 Valiant 3 sp.
    Rear end: '62 Valiant 7.25", 4.10>1
    Wheelbase: 124"

'08 ET: 14.095
    '08 MPH: 93.14
    Records:
    First running HA/GR, left coast.
    Winner, 1st HA/GR "meet", left coast.
    '08 quickest HA/GR, left coast.
    '08 fastest HA/GR, left coast.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Neat stuff, whatcha got planned for a body?

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Looks like a rear engine job. Keep the pics coming. would like to see more.

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hey Old6, ain't compoopers grand? Thanks for the hambster seeds, hope to post some progress before the year departs.

5. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Very Interesting!

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, she's a middie. A bit longer than we wanted on the wheels at 138" the first season due to running a full length gearbox, but we're planning to shorten it (and the back of the frame) to 124" for next year (one of the reasons the master cyl. is forward of the rear end a tad).

On the body; we got some decent tubing for a cage that'll run from our toes to the roll bar (with back struts, just to cover all bets) as we're reasonably safety minded (keeps the wives a bit quieter, you know). The front two hoops will be hidden inside (and supporting) a simple wrapped sheet metal cowl. A flat nose plate of the heavier floorpan material and then a pair of side panels back to the roll bar and that's about it. Pretty straightforward stuff. We'll be mocking it up in cardboard first, so I'll add a couple shots of that when we get there.

Now that I know I have to "publicize" the album entries individually I promise to keep it up better. :eek:
    Is my computer ignorance level up to "half vast" yet? :D

ps. If we can wangle a trailer, we'll haul'er (at whatever stage we have'er) to Palmdale for the ANRA opener. With'er or without'er we're hoping to see some of you gentlemen (and your cars as well) there for the exhibition.

pps. There just may be another flattie six one ("bug" layout, not middie) abuildin' before long. :D No further hints from me.

Have fun.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We got the front wheels back today, Barn Job #18's now officially a "roller". :D Still with the temporary 13"ers on the rear but at least she's hit the ground. :cool:

Dug up a trailer of sorts so we'll haul'er along with us to Palmdale tomorrow for show & tell while you runners are, well, uh ................. running.
    We hope to be running for the June meet at Bakersfield. If not, then more than likely by the August one.

We'll update the album after the meet, hopefully with some nicer pictures than we've gotten in there so far.

8. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Cool beans,Keep up the good work. Have fun at Palmdale and take pics. No fun for us this weekend cold and rain.

9. thanks again for bringing the rig out to the sand-plex today.

your little hot rod is awesome, drew lots of attention and lots of questions. just what we needed.

see y'all in bakersfield!

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

You're more than welcome, alteredpilot, and we'll be there (hopefully running).

OK, got a few new photos into the album from Palmdale (and in actual daylight too) with more painted pieces and the front wheels on.

11. Man that thing looks cool and frightening, all at the same time. can't wait to see it finished.

-Pete.

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

A couple hard weeks worth of evenings at it and we now have the cage and steering in.
    Photos are in the album.

Onward, ever onward ............. :cool:

13. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Veeeery Clever,keep up the good work.

14. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looks Great......... See Ya in Bakersfield!

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy gentlemen,

It's been a bit slow lately but I added some photos of the clutch arm rework and our seat belt set-up.

Nailed down a trailer but don't have pictures of that yet.

Looking forward to Bakersfield.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

What with all the angst around lately I figured the Barn Job could use some skin for self protection (mine's already up to it). :D

So I indulged myself and spent a couple days doing the body and I really like the way it came out.
    I'll try to have some paint on'er for Bakersfield, but mostly I'm just trying to get'er running. Lots of wiring and hosing and such to go yet but all the mechanical linkages are in and adjusted.

Put some "skin flicks" in the album, but it was sundown and she's at the bottom of the driveway so I had to diddle'em a bit. I'll get some better ones soon.

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice diddle.......Damn, that thing is looking good.

18. recycler

recycler

Bitchin car guys! Can't wait to see track footage of it!
    Brad

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy gentlemen,

Our creation lives!!! Barn Job #18 breathed her first yesterday, and took her first few steps today.

We put in a lot of work getting'er ready for the Bakersfield ANRA and it paid off in spades.
    Basic paint, fuel system, exhaust, primary electrics and rear wheels (FINALLY). Put'er all together and tuned'er up enough to handle the show & tell and hauled'er up on her spiffy new trailer.
    Lots of odds & ends still to go but she now looks essentially the way she's going to look.
    Got to scoot'er back and forth a few times for the folks and had a ball. Now back to work for the home stretch.

I've added a few photos to the album of course, but will try to get some "in motion" ones before the next meet in August.

I've also recieved a short video clip of Tom pulling the car out and back at Famoso. I haven't a clue how to post it here ...... help?

20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

KILLER! Those cars are lookin great. Can't wait to see how yours handles Old6. I'm going to build a new car for next year and it will be a rear engine car. Keep me posted.

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

Have you determined the weight distribution on #18?

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We were allowed to roll'er out a length or two and back as part of the exhibition. The clutch sort of over bit a little :rolleyes: on a couple of the roll-outs, and we happened to notice that the weight transfer onto the footprint seems to be about what we were hoping for.
    The best part however is the throttle response from the SUs. Very quick, strong and rock steady on the build-up curve. Looks like she'll be a good pedal handled car, pretty much what we'd wanted. We believe it'll help offset the inherent traction handicap of a middie when pedalled properly (if we're wrong you roadster types'll have an easy round :eek: ).

We haven't been near a scale yet but the empty car balances out between #5 and #6 plugs, only a couple inches forward of our target (#6 plug). Don't know about "with driver" yet. We did leave a layout change capability in the design should we need to redistribute things a bit more onto the footprint though. I'll translate that into wheelbase percentages when I get some time this week (need to catch up a bit on the shop bench for some reason :D ).

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well it's been a bit since we've been able to work on'er but we finally got back to it.

The last couple weeks (and change) of thrashing's paid off. The car (and the trailer)'s ready for the most part. Battery box is in, windscreen on, barf can on, taillight on, most everything painted & lettered (still no nose art though) and trailer mods done and working nicely.

My buddy took a couple pictures of'er outside his hanger, so I added'em to the album and picked one of'em for the thread.
    We'll have more after Saturday, it's back up to Bakersfield.

Rand Man, we still don't have an accurate weight distribution yet but haven't forgotten.

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Yee haw.......ya be havin some fun now!!

25. 348chevy

348chevy

Why couldn't you cover the engine section with a T body from Speedway and look like Speed Sport. They had to run A/D not modified roadster. I've a picture of Red Greath in Speed Sport against a dragster out of Tulsa at MO-KAN in I believe 1962 and they are both smoking the tires and Speed Sport is sideways not lifting. Is that the way you going in, never lift, pedal to the metal.:D Roy

26. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

I missed this first time round . Slant sixes are the best !

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Finally added some more pictures of the last of the bits and pieces. We have the car ready to go, and we hauled'er up to Famoso (outside Bakersfield) to put'er through tech (and maybe a run in spite of our old belts). Oops, no dice.
    Seems in the forty or so years since I've been to a strip they've come up with a couple new rules. Thought I had'em covered (had the '07 book and all) but guess not, missed a couple like the "overturn" gas tank vent, etc. No problem, we'll get'em right.

Now for the bitching ....
    Also seem to've missed a couple big ones.
    Every "race dedicated" open car's now required to have a full double loop cage regardless of e.t.? Must've missed that in their book, must need my lens prescription updated.
    And if your rear's rigid then hell, it must be race dedicated. Can't find that in their book either but we were told verbally that's the way it is. No exceptions. Never mind what the same NHRA's doing right now elsewhere in the rest of the country, this is California.
    And the welding strictures now apply to all roll bars & cages regardless of e.t.? Never mind that their book states otherwise, this is ......... etc.

Sooooo, if we really want to run on our beloved "left" coast it looks like we'll need to rethrash'er a bit. Guess we just don't look modern enough for "the way it was". Maybe more sponsor stickers?

OK, pathetic whine over for now. Hell, I'll let a bit of time settle me and probably get back to it.

But if they ever ask us to dial in .............

28. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Now ya' know , stay at it !
    The Cassandra link shows a picture of a cool valve cover (blue / grey color) for the slant , where the oil fill/breather cap is located in that area that has always confused me : the fins (?) stop just before the fire wall , is there a logical reason for the factory design ?

29. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

I think you have a tech inspector who's writing his own rules. At least I hope I'm right. Wichita International Raceway went independent this year, like MoKan. I have three independent strips within fairly easy driving range now. Too bad I don't have a HA/GR

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Has there ever been a logical reason for factory designs?