Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hot Rod Cinematic 2008

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. A road trip without incidents is not worth talking about and when it's over you don't have many memories. Now in your case many years down the road you'll be asking Joyo remember the cinematic of 08?????? Glad all turned out well>>>>.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sounds like a hell of a trip Ryan. Sometimes shit happens and I am glad that you have a good outlook on the situation. I have heard nothing but great things about that weekend so don't think that it was at all a failure. The people that were there would not have traded it for anything, and you bet your sweet ass they will be the first in line for the next one.

4. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

God, what a story. From the pictures it looks like you still put on a good show. It's all about the cars and the people anyway right?

5. Ryan,
    Most of us graybeards and anyone who has promoted an event have all experienced a week and weekend from hell similiar to your last week. (I Co-Chaired the James Dean Run for 15 years so I can tell you from personal experience things don't always go as planned and sometimes Mother Nature has no sense of humor).

Just consider it a test. A test that you and Joyo passed. You seemed to handle everything in stride. That is all you can do.

Trust me when I tell you 25 years from now you and Joyo will be laughing about the hell week you had back in June of '08.

I did not talk to anyone last weekend that did not have a good time. Knowing what I know today about last weekend I truely believe that everyone who cruised down to the Cinematic with us would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sue and I made several new friends, renewed some old friendships and our caravan was able to help another hamber on the way home.

You and John, with the help of your friends pulled off a weekend to remember for sure.

A person can measure his wealth by the number of friends he has. You Ryan are one of the richest people that I know.

If your next venture is reasonably close to Indy. You can count on the Indy crew to be there!!

6. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Thanks for hanging in there Ryan! Everything seemed to go to hell in a hot rod and I'm sure you went in the hole financially. I would have loved to have my car there but it's broke. I still had a good time chewing the fat with friends and picked up a few items at the swap meet.

Ace Brown and the Ohio Valley Boys were super!!!!!! They have a new fan here.

I hope there will be another Cinematic in the future. Ya'll had enough bad luck this year to last for years to come. Thanks for everything.

7. 31whitey

31whitey

man Im glad you and appolo pulled it off

all you guys and gals should be commended

but somehow, deep down, its seems like something bigger was at work here

best wishes for your bro that was involved in the atv accident

Whitey

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

When it rains it pours...literally. Everyone there had a great time movie or not. After the deluge we were re-organizing things under Robe's EZ up. I looked across the way and you were just sitting there under the tent taking it all in. You looked pretty beat and frustrated but there wasn't anything you could've done about the situation. But believe me, I didn't hear one person bitch about the way things turned out. All I heard was "Can't wait till next year."

9. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

I am ready to pre-register for '09. :D I loved it man. It's not often you get to fog up the windows of an old car at the drive-in any more. Ace Brown and the Boys ruled! The cars in attendance were awesome! and the people were extremely friendly! Not much like sitting around and harrasing a guy (killer-d) while he stripes all day too! Good luck fixing the car...... and don't worry, we got our money's worth!

10. Glad the trip worked out fine in the end, good to hear the damage to the wagon wasn't too bad.

11. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Despite all the problems, sounds like you guys pulled off a pretty good show. The people I talked to that were there said they had a great time. Shows what you can do when your surrounded by good people. Gary

12. Every time a see pics from the Cinematic, I get a big grin and remember what a great time I had. It was cool meeting folks and putting faces with the names that I've seen here on the H.A.M.B. Everyone that I met was so friendly that I felt like I had known them for years! Ryan, like I told you at the show, thanks for all that you do! Without a doubt, the best event that I'll attend this year!

Jim

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I wish I were there............... really!
    Reminds me of the time we crossed the state line into Alabama on horseback (from Kansas) and the sky let go. Rain for hours, beautiful black sky, boots full of water, cold, hungry, and a well behaved horse!

You'll look back later on this being a good time Ryan, I'm sure those that went do.

I wish I coulda been there!

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

no matter how crappy the weather was, or the un-planned issues..im still bummed i didnt get to make it there.

15. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Ryan, I just ask my wife if she would go back for a 3rd Cinematic. Her quick reply.... ABSOLUTELY! We had a great time, met some new folks, and BSed with old ones. At the end of the weekend I felt like I hadn't visited everyone enough. So next year I'll try harder..... :)

later, Bill

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

Ryan, you don't owe anyone anything. The price of admission was worth it just to hear Ace Brown and the Ohio Valley Boys. If all else went wrong, you nailed that part of the event.

I left before the movie because the son called and said our backyard was filling up with water. All's well as it didn't reach the shed or house but stuff happens.

I also learned how to fix my leaking Hydromatic and how easy it actually is and that was a bonus. Nothing could damper my glee that my car made it there. (even though it's only about 65 miles)

Just as a suggestion. Hit a few people up locally next year to take car of some of the stuff (stages and stuff) and let's do it again next year.

17. Damn.......makes my pig look like small fries (pun intended). Just remember, they will never let you live it down (all in good humor tho) !

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thia is the one that you will be talking about 30 years from now. Eventually it will become funny. It wasn't funny when it was going on but the nerves will calm down and it will be a landmark event.

19. autobilly

autobilly

What an "adventure". Situations like this toughen us and bring us closer together. What doesn't kill ya, rite? Imagine living through the depression and then the war, everyone in the same disaster boat together. Call it character building.

20. Ramblur

Ramblur

Yep, in the same boat here. Spent way too much time last weekend
    watching for updates.:( Look forward to returning next year.
    We got wet after the power went out at the 06 Hamb Drags and
    it never dampened the spirit so I'm sure the Cinematic was no
    different.

The wife and I headed out to our local drive in in the Hudson last
    month for our anniversary and scored these shirts.
    [​IMG]

BTW, are there any extra Cinematic shirts available???

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Like someone already said, with everything that went wrong I'm still disappointed that the wife and I weren't able to attend. Sounds like you were handed lemons and made some lemonade, can't do any better than that. I hope this doesn't make you rethink whether to continue this event. It's not far from being a "traditional" HAMB event much like the Drags.

Frank

22. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

I did not talk to anyone last weekend that did not have a good time. Knowing what I know today about last weekend I truely believe that everyone who cruised down to the Cinematic with us would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sue and I made several new friends, renewed some old friendships and our caravan was able to help another hamber on the way home.

You and John, with the help of your friends pulled off a weekend to remember for sure.

A person can measure his wealth by the number of friends he has. You Ryan are one of the richest people that I know.

I think this says it all about what you accomplished last weekend.
    Peggy and I had a great time and we appreciated everything you did. Just being around friends and going MothMan hunting was worth the price of admission.
    We'll be back again caravaning with the Indy crew and having more adventures along the way. Oh yea, I was the HAMBER who need the help..........
    A few pics of the memories................

Attached Files:

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Car events are all about building memories.........sounds like a heck of a time and how could you not have fun at a HAMB event.

Chris

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you put on an event...and either weather or just plain bad luck DOESN'T happen, then you are damned lucky...

IF you put on an event and people talk about it for years...then it was successful despite the weather and bad luck...

Above everything else...it's a test to see how big your balls are...and IF you take it in stride and end up joking about it...YOU'VE won...and so did your attendees...

R-

25. greg

greg

I couldnt make it but it still sounded like fun. But what a story!!!! Hope I can make it next year, since you have all your bad luck out of the way.

26. Deadender60

Deadender60

Murphy's Law...

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Life is full of hills and valleys bro.....
    your out of the valley.....

Keep calm and carry on.
    You have many friends.
    Hats off to all.

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I am not going to sugar coat this ... :)

1) We was not planning on going ( other committments )
    2) We would like to go ... in the future. ( my closed car being finished ... is a big factor )
    3) The cost of high fuel and the weather ... were most likey was a LARGE factor ... in the lower turnout :eek:

If it is any consolation ... every event I have been to this season and most all the popular vacation spots ... are suffering
    from the high fuel prices and increased costs.
    Add in the terrible weather ... and you have a recipe for lower attendance.

I sincerely hope that you have this event again ... in 2009 ... it sounds like a LOT of fun
    and we ( the wife and I ) want to go to it .

29. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

look`s like a great adventure !
    hope your friend heel`s up ok joyo

30. coop31

coop31

Ryan with all the problems you had it was a great show, thanks for all your hard work and dedication. We drove over 500 miles in the pouring down rain and some of the roughest interstate roads we have ever been on, thank god for rain-x and we would do it again today. Count on us next year. Also thanks for the pictures of our car you posted and the cool Speaker award.