Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loren McCombs reunited with his "Blue Racer" after 41 years

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I hope these posts don't come off as bragging, I get excited with this stuff and want to share it with other Rodders,

I got a call last week from Loren McCombs (and his wife Pat) the owner/ driver of the B/SR "The Blue Racer" that I currently own and plan to start restoring in the spring,....They were in Michigan visiting some friends and wanted to stop by, It was the first time Loren had seen his old race car in 41 years, He got a big kick out of it, He was poking around and telling me a lot of stories about several parts and pieces on the car,... I don't know which one of us had the better time.

As things started to wind down Pat said here these are for you,...
    It was Lorens 1964 NHRA Championship Jacket and the Plaque he got in the mail from NHRA along with a stereo album of the soundtrack from the 64 Nationals.

Again I don't want to bore anyone with this stuff, but this is just really cool to me, I won't post anymore about the Blue Racer until I start the restoration in the spring,... Thanks for your interest.

Attached Files:

Blue One and crashfarmer like this.
  2. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

That SO cool!! You are not boring me.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

4. that is awesome. ill bet it was great to get the lowdown on what and how that car was done. so many have been lost to time.

5. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

No boredom here! That is so friggin' cool. You've got the HAMBHistory Channel going. You need to record your interview with him and make it into a CD/DVD with pics of the restoration for the future.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hope you had a tape recorder going, that is some priceless material. That jacket is awesome! Keep the stories coming you braggart. :D

7. phat rat

phat rat

Very cool. Something that wouldn't happen if you tried. I'm sure that day will be a big moment in your memory

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Man, I almost fell asleep reading that..

NOT

Dude, that is friggin' awesome. Good luck with the restoration.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

That's about the only way to properly end a "barn find" story. I know yours wasn't EXACTLY a barn find, I'm refering to gettin the history FIRST HAND from the origional builder. It doesn't happen very often, you're one fortunate individual.
    Now, I've got one more reason for coming up to your place and checking out your stash first hand. I've been going to do it but life just keeps getting in the way.

Frank

10. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

thanks for posting!

little tid bits like that are what makes the hamb--GREAT!

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well if your ever up this way your more than welcome, I get down to the tri-city area a lot,...... let's grab a coffee one of these days.

12. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Boring? Hell NO ! Priceless is more like it. I wish there were more posts like this!

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, that is great!!... and even better after reading about it in the last issue of Hot Rod.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Malcolm

15. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Hey, my real name is Loren but i go by David. Pretty cool.

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thats not bragging.Thats just passin on some history.Thats goin to be a day that you will remember everytime you look at tyhat car.Thanks for the post.Post all the updates on the car.

17. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Great story. Good luck with the restoration!

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. But dont stop posting until the resto starts - keep going.

19. That is freak'n great when you can get the history from such a reliable source. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck on the restore!-MIKE:) :cool:

20. I used to watch a very fast sprint car racer with that McCombs surname at I-96 Speedway in Lake Odessa, MI years ago....any relation ?

21. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I Love sh!t like this...

22. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

WOW, that is just awsome. It's great that he passed on that history to someone who will carry it on!!!! I'm sure that was both a happy and a sad time for him (parting with that stuff)

I'm glad he saw the forsight to pass it on, so many more yrs can be enjoyed now with his memories.

So many times these things are left in familes that don't care or know anyone to pass it to.

What a Lucky fun day for you :p

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

I just wish I would have got to him before they moved out of Michigan,.. I almost choked when they told me they had two garbage cans full of trophy's they put out to the curb, because no one wanted them and they were always a pain in the neck ! :eek:

I am surprised this post came up again,.. But it was the HAMB that was responsible for the history coming back together with this car,
    Since these post's I have found a full out Y-block drag engine I am trying to deal on now,......

You can read more on this car at these two posts,.. thanks for the interest in it.

"The Blue Racer" B/SR #424 "A" Roadster
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81222

And
    Thank You HAMB and Hot Rod Magazine !
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204985

24. Does the jacket fit you?

25. Dennis, I just got done reading all three of your threads. Very interesting how it is all coming together. Please post all the progress on this restoration when it gets started. This is why I love the HAMB!

26. I always enjoy your posts, and look forward to more. We come from the same era in Michigan and so I always watch for your avator and read with interest.
    Thanks for the story

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks for the kind words,... I also look for your posts, Did you know a guy in Dearborn named Mike"Gator"Gados He was (and still is) a Pin Striper, the Cody Brothers, Jerry Kenny, There is a sight called thehotrodsofdearborn.com that has a lot of memories of old Dearborn/Detroit,... One of these days if I get my scanner working again I have some cool pictures from Frank Mack's photo album,.. from the old neighborhood,...... I will have to post.

28. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

This absolutely ROCKS!! Keep us advised as the project progresses.

29. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Real neat. Thanks for sharing.

30. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

very cool ! you need to sit down with him and get all those stories on video ! while you still can.