Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The Blue Racer" B/SR #424 "A" Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hi All,....

I am trying to locate any information / History on this car. I just bought this 1931 A Roadster, Channeled on a 32 Ford frame after a 30 year nap in a backyard in a Detroit suburb. A friend of mine Dave Crane was able to tell me it was registered and ran at the 1964 NHRA US Nationals at Indy , he gave me a name and I am tracking that down but have had no luck yet. It came from the Detroit area and some of the local guys remember it running at Detroit Dragway and Motor City Dragway but can't remember any details, the engine mounts looked like Y Block and it was listed as having a 1957 Ford 312
    so that fits. If anybody has any info or knows a place to find lot's of photos from the 64 US Nats. please let me know,.... the Blue Racer wants its history back,............ Thanks

Attached Files:

• 00.jpeg
      00.jpeg
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    • 01.jpeg
      01.jpeg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 05.jpeg
      05.jpeg
      File size:
      40.9 KB
      Views:
    • 06.jpeg
      06.jpeg
      File size:
      44.4 KB
      Views:
    • 07.jpeg
      07.jpeg
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Man that thing is too Cool! So you are gunna restore it to it's previous racing glory right? Keep us posted on it's history and the build!:eek:

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

DON'T STREET ROD THAT DEAL, RESTORE IT AND RACE IT....!!!!!!!!!:cool:

4. brandon

brandon

try gassermadness.com or nitrogeezers.com wheres pro enfo.....he's from that neck of the woods......and he knows everybody .....hahha brandon

5. This is the stuff I love to see on here. Sorry I dont have any info to share, but please keep us posted on the restoration. Good luck tracing her past.

6. oldtin

oldtin

I've been checking out http://www.gassermadness.com but the b/sr class is not well represented, there is some 64 nationals images though. I didn't find any pics of the "BlueRacer" yet.

7. brandon

brandon

does the name Mc Combs sound familiar.....?

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

GEEZZZZZE Brandon !,

How did you do that ?, it took me two weeks to come up with that name ! And yeah that does sound familiar,....... what else do you have ?, I only found one in the metro Detroit area with no phone # , I sent him a letter with a SASE but haven't got anything yet.

9. brandon

brandon

loran mc combs was listed as the winner of b/sr at indy in 64....it was in the larry davis gasser book .....but no picture....figures.....chuck (pro enfo) might know something.......will look some more....haha thanks brandon

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wow,..
    Thats new info, I did know it ran at the 1964 nats but I didn't know it won thats just fantastic !,... And yes Thank You Brandon !

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great Score !

Glenn

12. 2manybillz

2manybillz

November '64 Hot Rod lists it as Loren McCombs, Detroit, Mich. - Ford - 13.89et no mph as winner of B/SR at the Nats. No picture and I don't see any other mention in the article.

13. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

What a piece of history, you sure have a winner there, I hope you take it back just like it was in 64.

Be-a-UTIFUL find!!!
    Scot

14. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

BDI,
    Nothing here but I'll ask around

CC

15. Church Key

Church Key

Here is a photo from Hot Rod Magazine Yearbook #4.

Attached Files:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a GREAT find! Welcome to the HAMB! U.S.Nationals class winner, you HAVE to restore that to its racing days. :D This is the 1965 AA/MSP winner the day I got it home, tracking a cars history is as much fun as working on it.

Attached Files:

17. brandon

brandon

is that a singer.....? brandon

18. brandon

brandon

norwood chevrolet...? hesitation....? tom dittmer ....anything go with the car.... brandon

19. brandon

brandon

try that again......52 mg....?

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, it was a Blown 392 HEMI powered MG-TD, here it is on June 28, 1964 taking Top Eliminator in Naperville Canada. Note the earlier rollbar. not trying to hijack the thread,just showing examples of the bits of history Harms Way will be looking fore.

Attached Files:

21. Now you know what the roll bar and exhaust looked like. Maybe that fellow that put the Hot Rod Drag Racing magazine together can dig through their archives for the original?

Great find and good luck with the roadster.
    Dan

22. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Try draglist.com ,and Wdifl.com places where lots of O/T hang their hats. keep the car original!!.:cool:

23. ambman

ambman

Wow! that's a cool score, if you don't mind me asking, how and where did you find your Roadster? I have an old Hot Rod I found in a garage in Wyandotte Michigan but that was in 1983, I'm amazed that stuff is still sitting around now.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, that story must be a good one, a Model A roadster sitting in a yard outside Detroit in 2005! Sure gives us all hopes of finding something.

25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

37 kid ,you have some great stuff.:cool:

26. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

and it's not a rusty heap! Amazing! geat score.

27. I've always looked in every yard and behind every barn I can around here, but found nothing like that yet! Great score.

I did spot a circle track 'A' coupe in a junkyard in Jackson, MI. about 20 years ago. I was too dumb to do anything about it back when I was chasing muscle car stuff.

Steve

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

FWIW There was a local altered here that was a Singer. (Capitol Raceway in Crofton, Md.) He had a door knocker stolen from apartment 301 for a grill emblem. It ran a 301 Chevy.:)

Good luck with your search. It looks like you've got a good start.

29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Holy cow. It's amazing that the car exists mostly intact. Shouldn't be too hard to cook up a 312 that will run 13s again too. :D

30. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks for all your kind words and encouragement,
    I wasen't able to check out the post today because I was going throught the "parts pile" to take some suspension down so I could roll it onto the "strecher".
    I can't thank you guy's enough for all the hard work you all put into uncovering the background on this car. I will take more pictures of it in the next few days and post them. This car is in pretty good shape on the passenger side , but the drivers side makes up for it.
    This car came around in a wierd way, a friend of mine that hits all the garage sales was asking a lady about old hot rod stuff. This guy overhears him and tells him he had a old race car he bought in the 70's to make into a "Dune Buggy" but never got around to it ( I am thankful this guy had no motivation ) My buddy buys it for a couple hundred bucks,....
    then calls me. He jacked the price up to a obsene amount ( yeah really obsene profit margin ) and what can I say? it's mine. It was found just on the outskirts of Detroit under a awning on a padio covered with a tarp, bikes, barbaque,potted plants, yard tools and a wheel barrow, and the guy that had it knows nothing about it.