Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thank You HAMB and Hot Rod Magazine !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I wasn't going to post this, but some turn of events have happened I think some of you will be interested in regarding the Blue Racer(the 1931 Model A Roadster that ran B/SR),I had posted it on the HAMB a while back to see if I could get any information on it, Between the HAMB, Byrons Gasser Madness, and a lot of foot work I have just about put the whole history back together.

( Look under,...... "The Blue Racer" B/SR #424 "A" Roadster)

Hot Rod Magazine contacted me early last summer and said they had seen it on both sights and would like to come take some pictures of it, it's in the current issue of Hot Rod under the "Barn Finds" article,
    thats not really the big deal,...... but after the magazine came out I had a couple calls, one guy wanted to give me a 57 312 engine:D , than another guy called and asked if I still needed a Hilborn F.I. for it !:eek: Well the F.I. is as rare as chicken lips,... so I jump on it,.......

The UPS truck just left, and this is what was in the box, a complete Hilborn F.I. set up, with all the pills, fittings, Valosity stacks, Magneto with F.I. pump, valley pan, all the fasteners and a extra cap.:D
    I was told this has all been sitting on a shelf in a basement sense 1962. This was the biggest hurtle I had to overcome,... well the parts collecting is going full steam, I hope to get started on this car in the Spring.

One more thing, the original owner Loren McCombs is in Mi. on vacation, and is going to stop by next week,... said he had a box of stuff for me.

( Yes, the picture of the F.I. is on my wife's Oak kitchen table,...and No, I won't tell her about that:cool:)

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thats really great!
    a had a friend who bought a racecar with that FI on it...and the guy said...do you want this other one too? ...he had a brand new one sitting there for a spare!
    good luck on the project
    Zach

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Well if everyone is in the GIVING MOOD, I've got an old tall-deck DeSoto that used to be a "race motor" that needs its injection and magneto back. :D

Congrats man on finding that! You can't put a price on the visibility your project got from that article...

4. BigRed390

BigRed390

Lucky bastard!:D

Congrats on it though. Nice to know there are still people who care that much about old race cars.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

I just added pictures to the first post,.. if anyone is interested in some pictures I got From Loren McCombs that wasn't in Hot Rod, I will resize them ( if I can figure that out ) and post them later.

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...note to self...send Harms Way a Lucky Bastard card...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So......it will be at the HAMB Drags '08 then right???;)

Looking forward to reading the Hot Rod article. HAMB member GZ's roadster is in that article as well I believe.

8. WOW, WOW, WOW on that F.I. setup! Good for you.

9. harmsway,
    another good fortune hamb story. just goes to show exsposure can be a good thing. great project and good luck chasing the rest of the bits.
    Al.

10. brainfrz

brainfrz

Awesome update! Just read through the first post. What a cool find.

jon

11. Ha Ha, good for you man, way to go

12. Got that issue here at work and will be unavailable while I search for the article. Congratulations.

13. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

nice, congrats..

14. racer756

racer756

very cool, It great to see when some has a bit of good luck. Enjoy, as we know it can be fleeting....

15. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Dennis,
    As my old Dad would say, in his best Northern accent,
    "If thee fell in shit, Thy would come up smellin of roses"
    Lucky bugger!!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

16. I just love to here this kind of stuff. Thanks for the update, look foward to more. Most people would say you are lucky to have found that car. I think that car is lucky that you found it, and have the dedication to put it back the way it is ment to be.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, ya gotta love the Karma on this site. Nice going, man.

18. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Dennis

So you decided to post her...cant wait to get over and see it!!

19. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

WOW!! as Beavis said ..."I think I just innoculated".

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,.. as promised, I figured out how to resize the pictures I got from Mr. McCombs,... hope you enjoy them.

The first picture is in 1959 when he bought it as is from Ed Burns the original builder, the next three pictures are from '61 &'62,... the next three are from Indy in 64, and the last one is from Bristol 1966.

Attached Files:

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

So, when do you plan on having it on the road and attending the different events with it??

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

That all depends on when I have all the parts, I plan to start work on it in the spring, now that I have a detailed list of the parts that were originally on the car. As soon as work starts, I would be glad to post the progress on here if there is any interest.

In the meantime I am trying to finish up a Deuce chassis for a friend, drop a 455 into a 33 Buick to try to sell at K-zoo, finish up a Deuce roadster to sell in the spring (yes it's a glass car) & make major changes about my shop (which I will post if it ever happens, soon I hope)

23. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

that's cool

it's cooler that you are doing the car justice and putting it back

it's the coolest that people with the same passion you have are chipping in to help make this thing complete......

wow, me's grammar teacher thinks i's payed attenchion in class

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really nice to see all the proper parts coming your way, I know how it feels when a missing item turns up. Have you desided on what point in time in the cars history the car will be restored to? I'd go for a dead on as it won the Nationals look, don't improve anything or over restore it, just bring it back to as it looked. Is that trophy still with the original builder?

25. Congrat's on the Hilborn and best of luck in the restoration.

I know you're developing the history on this car, so the first NHRA Spring Nationals was held at Bristol in June, 1965. I went there right after my high school graduation and do remember seeing it run.:)

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks, and thanks for catching that I wrote "Bristol 1964", It should have said Bristol 1966 ( I fixed that on the post ), But the fact is that it was at Bristol in '65 but being on a Deuce Chassis the wheelbase was 106" (Model A's were 103") so they disqualified him from B/SR class and bumped him to "Altered", He told them he had just won the B/SR Class at the Nationals in '64 but the tech guys didn't care, He went home and added a second cross member 3" back ( Thats still in the car),.... went back in 66 and took the B/SR class, I am anxious to get this car done, but I want to get it right, and no I don't want to over restore it, with that said, I'm not going to rush this car, but I want to get it done before Mr. McCombs gets to old to enjoy it.

Thanks for the interest.

27. Burny

Burny

Sweet post...i'll be following the progress for sure...

28. Very cool news! Don't forget to update this after the x owner visits.