Register now to get rid of these ads!

the adventures of fur disco and the rebodied Speedster.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Jun 14, 2007.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

for the late night prowlers and insominaics out there, 3 weeks of midnight oil (and a one week brake to fly to NYC) i got the speedster going with the new body.

So last saturday rolls around and I finally get it running at 1500 (tech inspection for the endurance run stops at 1530, but they wait around)quick test run, indicated that the ebrake had stuck kinda on...due to the ensuing brake fire. get that and a small radiator leak fix. load the T up (that would be with a change of clothes, battery charger, and tools: not on a trailer) and drive down to Santa Clara leaving at about 1700 I arrive about an hour later. make it through Tech and finally stop and take a breather and a hot shower. After working on the car in the hotel parking lot.

Sunday the run starts and goes well with a drive from Santa Clara to Half Moon Bay via Mt. Hamilton and some amazinig roads (no pictures sorry) and back to Santa Clara. Red Beard did the naviguessing duties exceptionally well, and he didn't seem to complain to much...but it is hard to hear anything above that 4" pipe. Annika took a bunch of pics at the start and the finish, but I didn't take a singe one.

My cell died so I had to make an emergency run back home, so i packed the T up and drove home. I was a little tired and annoyed by being constantly chopped and cut off by annoying drivers, so I let the T stretch its legs for a while...the guy chasing me said I dissappeared (he was towing a trailer and backed off at 70) so I'd guess I was scooting down the road at about 75 or so, it would be a guess, but i was passing most of the traffic at that point, so it could be closer to 80. :D (now to bump the compression up from 45 psi static.) Sunday was fun, all together I put on about 250 miles of driving. man it felt great.

Sorry to everyone I have blown off, stood up, and not gotten back to over the past few weeks.

the worst part about having a bare metal body is that every walks up and says "is that a bare metal body?" and then they rub thier hands all over it. grrr.

probably going to paint her battleship grey, with either matching running gear or black, and leave the wheels this color red. the numbers will be cream, black and gold.

here are some pics of the car as she sits today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. funguynstc

funguynstc

very nice,i am sure what ever color you pick for this car will really be nice.kudos on your nice ride.

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a before shot for comparision:

[​IMG]

4. brewsir

brewsir

definately better AFTER!

5. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

thumbs up dogg... i mean doug..

6. jerry

jerry

The rounded body work seems so much more in character with the stle of the car. Love it!

So glad to hear that it's getting used for it's intended purpose! Drive teh snotout of it!

jerry

7. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

What are those wheels from?

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

they are an original set of aftermarket wheels made by Hayes.

9. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Lookin' good man, lookin' good

RRR

10. Oh man I'm so in love with that car! I want to build a speedster so badly it hurts! Ever meet a guy named Ed Winfield (I'm pretty sure thats his last name)? He has a yellow FOrd speedster that he racers at Laguna Seca and he HAULS ASS, coolest thing to see this little Ford blowing off bigger grand prix & Indy cars..... Post more pics please!!!

11. Here's The Golden Ford owned by Neil Tuckett (Mr T Model Ford of the UK). I love this car and it's even more impressive close up.... I think this picture was taken on the hillclimb at Brooklands.

[​IMG]

Here's a link for the full story;

http://www.tuckettbrothers.co.uk/thegoldenford.htm

12. tjm73

tjm73

If this is the car I think it is...it's pretty cool. I can't see the poics due to my works filters blocking photobucket (all I get are red x's). Maybe someone can repost one of the pics from someplace else that I can see. Otherwise I'll try to check it out from home later.

13. BTW - Fur Biscuit I love that speedster. Who needs anything more than that???

14. damnfingers

damnfingers

I've seen an aluminum colored paint that would look great on that body - still maintains the look of bare metal but gives it protection.

15. Really nice. I've been wanting a speedster for a while. Now, I REALLY want one. Nice work. Pass a hello on to your Ride Along Mechanic/navigator.

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

Love it. A speedster or early sprint car is on my to-do list.

17. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Nice work Doug!!! Is it over at Ernies? I thought that place was sealed up...

Dirty

18. brainfrz

brainfrz

Fur, great new body. we met at the blackhawk day, you followed my brake smoking Packard in that morning. Really nice work on getting that body along.

Jon

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Furbee........ sweet!

20. BigRed390

BigRed390

Very nice! I'll second everybody ahead of me.........I want one!

21. Terry O

Terry O

If you'd like to leave the metal bare, a lot of guys swear that the Gibbs penetrating oil sold by Dave at roadsters.com will keep it in great condition even with hands all over it. Check it out here:
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Nice, really nice job on the body!

Terry

22. redbeard

redbeard

Doug, that ride was epic.

the new body and grill looks really great,

don't forget to put the bubble gum in the radiator cap
    so we don't get sprayed in the face with hot water, hahaha

for those of you who have never ridden in one of these, be carefull.

it reminds of the story I heard about a city folk offering a hillbilly in backwoods
    a banana, the hillbilly says no thanks, city guy says why not? Hillbilly says I already have a taste of enough things I can't afford, I don't need to have another.

I have been bitten with the speedster bug bad, and can't wait to go driving again.

this run we went on was one of the best events I have gone on.

thanks doug
    see you soon

23. I could see that much fun,being very habit forming!:eek: Looks great,thanks for sharing that with us.

24. mcload

mcload

That car is a great project. I'm most impressed with the "can do" attitude in getting her done, running, and to the event. That takes a lot of sweat equity and dedication. So everytime I start whinning to myself that it's too hot to work on the car or start looking for excuses be doing something else, I am reminded of hard-core guys like this that walk the walk. These cars just don't fix or restore themselves.

Kudos to you Fur Biscuit! I'd seriously consider using the wheel color for the body as well, with some silver/chrome highlights. At least it wouldn't be the same old gloss black, though I would do the frame in black. Easy for me to say...not my car!

Regards

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looks good Doug-actually looks like a period piece-Nice-Jim

26. Flatman

Flatman

Nice!! What's that grill shell from? Maxwell?
    The car looks like it just came through a time machine....

Flatman

27. Looks great Doug, see ya at the Asphalt Invitational!

28. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Doug,
    the speedsters new look is really nice... great job!

Has Guido seen your car and is that dusty black '36 in the background yours as well?

29. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Sweet! Very, very, sweet! Speedsters were the first hot rods. To have fun with your car you have to drive it. Thanks for the pictures and ideas. Well it's out to the garage to work on the F1.

30. synthsis

synthsis

I love those wheels.