Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Hot Rod & Custom Inspiration

For background, check here.

Got more inpirational photos or ideas? Pile em up fellas...

BONUS: How cool is this little Fiat? It was a service car for Ferrari and although smaller in scale, very similar to a '37 Ford. Too cool...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fiat.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	197009  

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
dabirdguy

Default Re: Hot Rod & Custom Inspiration

VERY cool.
I been toying with doing something like that with one of the Cabs I have in the barn. Was thinkng of making it into a camper for overnithg meets and stuff.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #3
sodas38

I have always found the 1937 Cord to be a graceful car. I think you could take some ideas off it as well.

The interior with respect to the gauge cluster may be a good cue. The idea may be as simple as using some diamond plate to replicate the look here:

And of course the side pipes that are visible and well know on these models and you could also get some inspiration from the grille:
Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
krusty40
Alliance Member

Thumbs up Re: Hot Rod & Custom Inspiration

Ryan - you are SO right; there's a lot out there that can be brought in to traditional rods and customs without becoming street rods and modern kustoms. Thanks for showing us what we can be if we think outside the kulture.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Mike Zenor
Old School HAMBer

Some French cuisine... 1939 Talbot Lago and 1935 Delage. Inspiration for a mid 30s Ford kustom, maybe?

Primates CC
Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
flyingpolock

It probably goes without saying, but the Delahaye lineup is just loaded with great inspiration... flowing lines, graceful everything, and those low headlights and tall grille look flat-out MEAN.... Consider the Delahaye's design cues when compared to Westergard, etc. Low, sleek, flowing....
And this Dodge I had posted before on a Friday Art show, but the inspiration ran the gamut from Jaguar to the Russian Gaz (side trim was inspired by their model 13... which bears a striking resemblance to a Packard...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	delahaye.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	197033   Click image for larger version

Name:	56a.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	197034  
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
oldandkrusty
Alliance Member

Flyingpolack, you have it exactly right. Delahayes are the best references when you need some design cues. They have it all. It's hard to think of anything bad about them.

Now, if you are thinking rods - use the Duesenbergs for inspiration. From their gorgeous bodies to the detail on the delicious straight eight engines, there is no better reference. Perfect, just perfect.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #8
ryangobie

Ryan, I've really love these entries. I think a lot of people feel the need to stay within this vaccuum of a predefined notion of traditional. You give just perfect examples of period items and stylings that would really set something off. I really like the finned drums myself. It's simple, can be found in the past and looks stunning. I'm glad you approach this with a designer's eye, an open eye, but an eye that knows when something would be too much.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Matt Franklin
Alliance Member

I love this post. Lots of fine design work out there.

I hope this isn't off topic, but I'm inspired by the Arts and Crafts style of architecture and design, particularly, the lamps of the 1920s. Most of the shapes aren't exactly right for traditional cars, but some of the styling cues, I believe, are right on. And the rich glow of copper and mica materials could make some awesome turn signals or dash lights. Imagine driving at night with your whole dash insert glowing and scaring the crap out of the guy in the next lane when he sees the illuminated crazed look on your face.

I've attached an image of some example shapes and here are a few more links:
http://www.craftsmanhome.com/lightin...able-wood.html
http://www.craftsmanhome.com/lighting/arroyo/list.html

And a source for mica...
http://www.ashevillemica.com/lampshademica.htm
(They have "sample kits" for $20.)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ArtsAndCraftsLamps.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	197063  

Last edited by Matt Franklin; 06-16-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
synthsis

did anyone see the R&M auction million dollar auction show on TLC the other night? the Talbot Lago went for something like 3.25 Mill. good gawd.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Paul
Editor

look at engine compartments of luxury cars from the depression era

Hispano Suiza, Pierce Arrow, Bugati, Duesenberg and others.

with various polished metals, brass, copper, aluminum, even hand rubbed and oiled steel
with rich paint colors,
and engine turned panels and castings

all parts functional and very nicely layed out
all obviously hand made
with a distinctly artistic eye
Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #12
cleatus

Does anyone know what car, either American or Euro, that would be considered "The First" to have full fade-away fenders - where the front fenders continue all the way to the back?

Westergard built a 40 Merc for Butler Rugard in the early 40s that may be the first car "customized" to have full fades, but what I am wondering is what car was - or may have been - the inspiration for this modification?

What MIGHT they have seen to make them think "hey, that would be cool on my car"?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
flt-blk
Old School HAMBer

No discussion of european cars can be complete without the Auto Union
influence. From road race cars to Land speed racing
Old 06-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
flyingpolock

Quote:
Originally Posted by '29MurrayTub
I love this post. Lots of fine design work out there.

I hope this isn't off topic, but I'm inspired by the Arts and Crafts style of architecture and design, particularly, the lamps of the 1920s. Most of the shapes aren't exactly right for traditional cars, but some of the styling cues, I believe, are right on. And the rich glow of copper and mica materials could make some awesome turn signals or dash lights.
Ya know, '29MurrayTub is on to something here... Consider both Arts and Crafts, as well as Mission-style design. Function first, with a twist of "how to make it look nice"... The Bahaus School of design offers tremendous inspiration, obviously.
Considering the mention of some killer dashboard illumination, while not European, imagine a Euro-inspired dash cluster lit Electroluminescently (say THAT five times fast), similar to older Imperials, early Chargers... you could pull off some serious deco-inspired looks with a little creativity. The right combination of nickel, chrome, and maybe even some brass would breed a kick-ass instrument panel... and even jusicious use of some engine-turned inserts...
Anyone considered looking to custom musical instruments for inspiration as well? Some of the stuff from Fender's Custom Shop are pure inspiration in more than one way, as well.
Great thread... It's gonna cause me MANY sleepless nights at the drawing board!
Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Ryan
Administrator

Actually, Auto Unions are prolly only 2nd to Ferrari for me as far as dream cars go... They were just out of the time period I was thinking about for this particular article.

I have a huge Auto Union article written up that I will roll with in a couple of months most likely...

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 06-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
Spaulding
Grenade Inspector

Check this out. Although far from a traditional ride, couldn't help but notice the similarities between the Alpha tail-end and the Foose built "Impression".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1954alphaTaillights.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	197085   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_7253%201_std.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	197086  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #17
Spitfire1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Actually, Auto Unions are prolly only 2nd to Ferrari for me as far as dream cars go... They were just out of the time period I was thinking about for this particular article.

I have a huge Auto Union article written up that I will roll with in a couple of months most likely...
For me Auto Union, beats out Ferrari. But I think I'm biased because I used to race around an Audi. Nah seriously, I think Auto Union had more of a flair for going out of the box on design. They lead the way for a lot of others designs. Don't get me wrong though, I love old Scuderia Ferrari's. Oh, I give up its a tie.

One thing I always enjoyed about older European cars is in their designing they kept that deco or simpler look for a longer period of time than American cars, and some never really gave it up. Ahem...Morgan.....or Austin.....Volvo's in the 60's....

Spitfire Fix-It Shop
Old 06-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #18
Bruce Lancaster
Alliance Member

Check out the whole spectrum of tech and style of the time period you like--aircraft, classic cars, locomotives, military vehicles, appliances. Check out museums and shows, roam the architecture-history-art-photo-design sections of a big bookstore, go to the library and read through Life-Post-specialized magazines, looking at stuff in articles, ads, etc.
And--for automotive stuff, if you are building to look like 1952, stop and imagine what a 1952 hotrodder would have seen in the junkyard, surplus store, newsstand, Sears catalog, etc.
B-29 bits in surplus? a dead Pierce-Arrow hearse at the junkyard? magazines showing sprint cars or Allards? Diesel locomotives replacing steamers at the depot? Sabrejets in Korea? What was on the menu for a rodder looking beyond the JC Whitney catalog??
Old 06-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
302GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus
Does anyone know what car, either American or Euro, that would be considered "The First" to have full fade-away fenders - where the front fenders continue all the way to the back?

Westergard built a 40 Merc for Butler Rugard in the early 40s that may be the first car "customized" to have full fades, but what I am wondering is what car was - or may have been - the inspiration for this modification?

What MIGHT they have seen to make them think "hey, that would be cool on my car"?
In 1933 Pierce-Arrow built 3 (?) Silver Arrow show car/prototypes with fadeaway design. Sidemount spares tucked into locking wells looks a little strange at first glance.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
cleatus

Thanks for that info, I'm doing a search of pics of that car now.
Anyone else know of any pre-war cars with full-fade away fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302GMC
In 1933 Pierce-Arrow built 3 (?) Silver Arrow show car/prototypes with fadeaway design. Sidemount spares tucked into locking wells looks a little strange at first glance.