Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So Cal back in the day...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1stGrumpy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Hey, Westchester High - haven't heard that in a long time. There was a car club there "Eliminators 90+" Remember that?

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-9-20_3-44-13.png
    Hello,
    We have been going to the Newport Beach area for many years, starting in the 50’s with my dad taking us there for fishing from the shoreline and off of the pier. Then, we frequented the beach area during our 60’s surfing days. But, for all of the time spent on the beach, there was a little restaurant just up the street that was a major attraction for everyone. Our dad took the family there in the 50’s for a great seafood dinner many times. When he was in Orange County for some reason, he always stopped there for a fabulous seafood lunch or dinner.

We frequented the restaurant many times as it was in our cruising area of coastal Orange County. It is/was quaint inside and the food was superb. Fresh fish, breads and of course, the famous Crab Cooker’s Clam Chowder.

For all of you So Cal locals and out of state travelers. Here is some sad news. The world famous, Crab Cooker Restaurant in Newport Beach near the Newport Pier will be closed for remodeling until 2019.

Jnaki

We have eaten at the city of Tustin, Crab Cooker Restaurant and the food was still great. But, the atmosphere was not the same as the old Newport Beach Restaurant, by the pier. The pierside restaurant just reeks of old time memories/history as soon as one steps inside.

There have been many times that the street side parking was taken up with hot rods and of course, motorcycles. (ours included) We can’t wait for the remodeled version to open up again, sometime in 2019. Hopefully, it will retain the quaint red siding look that has been part of the lore of the “Crab Cooker.”

Note:
    “The original name of our restaurant was Seafood Varieties and in front of the restaurant we had large lobster and crab cookers. It took about three years for me to realize that nobody knew us by our business name, instead they referred to us as the place with the big Crab Cookers. Essentially our customers named the restaurant, and I was happy to change the name for them.”

“The building looks as if it was hand built, and the atmosphere to the place is just as down home. Along with history are the many memorable phrases: “Eat Lots a Fish,” “Don’t Look Up Here,” “The Main Thing Is To Keep The Main Thing The Main Thing,” and “Watch Your Parking Meter Baby.” Seriously though, watch your parking meters in this area. Bring your quarters and keep them filled.

Get there early; the wait times are sometimes high, and the seating is packed during peak seasons. Two locations; the second one is in Tustin. The Newport Beach location is within walking distance to Newport Pier.”

Announcement from the owners to all:

“To all of our Fish Eaters, we would like to announce the temporary closure for reconstruction of the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach will begin Monday September 3rd. Our last day of service will be Sunday September 2nd until we reopen in about a year. The Crab Cooker of Tustin at the Enderle Center will remain open to serve all of your favorite menu items throughout the reconstruction process.

Our founder Bob Roubian created the eclectic and unique atmosphere that makes the Crab Cooker special, and we are committed to carrying that on! When you visit us on reopening, be sure to look for the green clock on Newport Blvd and the front door that Bob hand carved along with the same spirit of service and the world's best seafood that the Crab Cooker has been happy to serve to Newport Beach since 1951. Be good to yourself and EAT LOTS A FISH!”

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-10-2_4-44-54.png
    Hey Sheldon,

Long time no see or talk to...it seems like forever. We probably met in 1962 in Long Beach at one of those plentiful drive-in restaurant hangouts. But, we did officially meet at an Early Times Pancake Breakfast in some park back in those early days. Thank you for taking me in and showing me around. I met a lot of nice people. This story was one that I remember from the HAMB in 2017. Back then, I was impressed with any hot rod you made, especially that cool tall T sedan.

After I got my drag racing films digitized in 2015, I began the search for old photos of our Willys racing back in 1960 at Lions. The call was put out in the HAMB for everyone to check their photo files and friends’ files for a photo or two of our Willys. Now, several years later, I am still searching and remembering those early days of hot rods in So Cal.

The digitized photos brought out a discovery of other color slides and photos that had been stored away for years. Most bit the dust in the million house moves we had over the years. So, I am still searching. Categorizing /cleaning up those old photos and editing those movies, seems like a never ending task. But, they keep the memories clear and active.

It is nice that you are still around, despite being 6000+ miles distance away. The internet and pm emails shrink the size of the globe tremendously. Even though we are “old guys” now, our memories never fade, if kept active. Hopefully, the photos and files history never fades, that is…

Junji Nakamura
    Old time, Long Beach hot rod/drag race/cruising history memory…

Jnaki on the HAMB

From 2017 HAMB

upload_2018-10-2_4-46-6.png upload_2018-10-2_4-46-19.png
    Hello,
    It wasn’t one big event, but a succession of events during that year I was just getting started shooting photographs for my collection and a possible photo business.
    The events were: The Early Times Breakfasts, The LA Roadster Club’s Father’s Day,Picnic/Show, and the Prowlers Annual Picnic in San Diego.

Early Times: Larry Wood, Sheldon Bardin, Steven Pennington, etc.
    LA Roadster Father’s Day Show: Jack Stewart, Greg Sharp, etc.
    San Diego Prowlers: Lee Bright, Fred Castro, Bruno Cirello, etc.

As a twenty something that had some history in hot rods, I appreciated that these guys were so open and willing to share their ideas and rides with me. They also gave me valuable information for my own hot rod knowledge and future builds. I am not sure why the late, Jack Stewart took a liking to me, (nice guy? Ha…) But out of all of those LA Roadster guys, (there were a lot of them) he took me all over the place to meet and talk with his friends. That was really something. Still, being an outsider w/o a roadster (40 Ford Sedan Delivery) kept me on the outside, just absorbing all of the cool, “Hot Rod” talk.

At the Early Times Breakfasts, not only was it fabulous food, but again, Sheldon Bardin took me under his wing. After he showed me his fabulous "T," we went all over talking to others with very cool cars and hot rod history. I met a lot of people with a lot of interesting builds and knowledge.

Finally, at the San Diego Prowlers Picnic near a lake, the setting was the same. Families all open to sitting around talking about hot rods and racing. To me, that was very cool and (still being an outsider, not in the club,) was one of the reasons this club has always been one of those that stuck in the back of my brain, all this time. The name “Prowlers” just seemed correct as those cars were low slung, menacing looking and outstanding representation of the term, Hot Rod.

Jnaki

These were not those big, 1000 car, national events, but local So Cal events that were at the roots of the Hot Rod culture and family life. Those friendships, memories, and lessons will forever stay with me. I have always been proud to be part of the So Cal Hot Rod culture. The small, friendly, Father’s Day LARS has turned into a giant show with national significance, but for some that is their cup of tea.

But, those were the places that I could see/hear the cars that were shown in all of the hot rod car magazines come to life, up close and personal. That was very cool.

Sky Six, Ron Funkhouser, GuyW and 4 others like this.
  4. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Jnaki, I always enjoy your responses, hope you will share your photos as time permits.

Thanks for all the great story's,

Scott Yanagihara

Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Golden Star Hamburgers, Long Beach, 55 years old and still going…
    upload_2018-10-20_3-29-57.png upload_2018-10-20_3-30-14.png
    Hello,
    The high school cruising days were winding down with the aspect of college or a job looming ahead. We had plans to work and save money for traveling before the long grind of 4 years at any college. So, when we saw a neighborhood place to hangout start up, we were happy.

For a couple of growing older teenagers, we loved the usual hamburgers and fries to supplement my mom’s cooking. This place was now known for Char Broiling the hamburgers, so, it tasted like those we made at home on the old barbeque set up.

Char-Broil was the latest thing. Just down PCH closer to our house, there was a fast food hamburger place that served fantastic burgers and fries, but the burger was flat grilled with oil, not char broiled. (a ketchup squeeze bottle with olive oil in it...squirted on the burger.) The new Golden Star place used a grill and let the juices drop on what we thought were barbecue briquettes. That created smoke that went right back through the hamburger patty.

It gave the flavor we have all come to love in our backyard hamburger cookout gatherings. If the afternoon West Winds came up from the ocean, we would get the smell of char grilled burgers to go along with the smell of fiberglass resin from the boating industry nearby. What a combo.

The best thing about this place is that it was across the street from the gas station where I got reclaimed oil for my first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was a few blocks from our Westside of Long Beach house. At night, if the activity from Bixby Knolls died down sooner than expected, we always knew of a place that had fabulous char broiled hamburgers and huge chunky fries for a late night, teenage snack.

Jnaki

Little did we know that this place, Golden Star Burgers would last so long. Years after high school, my wife and I were coming to my mom’s house for a quick visit. Since my wife loved the char broiled burgers, she wanted to surprise my mom. So, we stopped at the Golden Star for the other “best” item on the menu: huge foot long chili dogs, too. We ordered several char broiled burgers and several of these fabulous chili dogs for the impromptu dinner.

My mom was amazed at the food that we brought over. She loved the chili dogs, but could only eat half, the other portion of her meal was the char broiled burger. This style of food was not normally on her lists of dinner menus, but loved the new food. (a variety of fresh sushi, teriyaki steak and chicken was usually on the menu)

Every time my wife and I visited the Westside of Long Beach, the Golden Star was a destination. The neighborhood was changing, but the taste from this restaurant was still as good as ever. This place was around the main intersection of Santa Fe and PCH, near Mickey Thompson’s shop, too.

The Golden Star Burger Place was for us, a place to rest, relax, and park our hot rods/cruisers on the main PCH side of the parking lot. So, any of our friends cruising by could see the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and other times, the 58 Impala sitting in the parking lot. They have been making this fabulous food for 55 years and it is still going strong.
    upload_2018-10-20_3-31-36.png
    The Golden Star Hamburger place located on PCH going South towards the LB Freeway. The tower in the background is the remnant from the place of my first production line job: working at the Kit Trailer Company…for two weeks.
    upload_2018-10-20_3-33-16.png
    Yes, it was the staple of our surfing days, too. If we went locally, to the South Bay surf spots or at the Long Beach/ Seal Beach surfing areas. What young surfer did not like char broiled burgers and fries? Yum!!!

LBCD, Ron Funkhouser and 63fdsnr like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A first, for a long time coming: Yesterday in So Cal, it was a rainfall for the afternoon and all through the night. Temps are 48 degrees along the coast. So, that means Thanksgiving Week, a break from schools is always necessary at this time of the year. It used to be only Thursday and Friday off legally, from schools. Then as more families took off from schools on Wednesday morning to get to where ever they were all gathering for Thursday, a school day was missed. The hot rods and station wagons were given the once over and vacations were in tune.
    upload_2018-11-22_7-43-57.png
    Average daily attendance is usually how schools make their expenditures and budgets. If a child is missing a day of school, the school does not get any money (state and federal) that day for that child.

As the family events started proliferating like flies, more people missed that Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving Thursday. In 1960, Tuesday was spent shopping for our 5 day surf vacation in Baja. During this time of the year, the swells were just perfect for those southern coastal breaks. But, planning was essential.
    upload_2018-11-22_7-44-29.png 1963 Long Beach crew plus Barrymore… Leo H. photo…

Before we decided to take Wednesday off like everyone else, we used to leave right after Thursdays lunch/dinner. We would be in the Baja surf breaks by the late afternoon.(a late, 4 day vacation) Tradition aside, Thanksgiving Dinner was moved to Wednesday night, giving us plenty of time to store the left over turkey and head out in the 12 am traffic to Baja. (now, a full 4 day surf vacation)

Some times, we just could not wait for leaving on a Tuesday night. So, my dad would bring home a giant smoked turkey. Our coolers were full of ice and smoked turkey, good enough for a week’s worth of food or trading for some fat, New York cuts for a change. Sorry, no tradition lasts that long, especially during school months. (now, a 6 day vacation…in 1960… But, wait, why not just leave on the previous Friday night for a full 9 day vacation? Well, that was ok, as long as we got absence notes from our parents saying we were sick…after some finagling, 1961-64 were 9 day vacations.)

upload_2018-11-22_7-47-37.png
    James N. photo 35mm Pentax Plus X RESULT:The benefit of leaving So Cal early Tuesday night…empty, San Miguel Wednesday morning, 1961.

Jnaki

These days, schools have lost a lot of days during changing the “days off” schedules during this time. Now, most school districts have gone to “why not just let them have the whole week and we will not lose any money that way.” The absent days would be adjusted through out the extended school year.

P.S. With the early start days in August, who knows how many days the districts have saved. So, have a nice 9 day vacation after the grueling fall quarter. Break out the hot rods/cruisers and wagons, if there are any still left in high school…

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    LOU WELLS and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. old man hal

old man hal

Jnaki, I remember that place. They had great sub sandwiches. Just a couple of weeks ago I was telling my wife about that place and how good it smelled when you walked into the store. There were cheeses and meats hanging from the ceiling. If I remember right it was real close to Mickey Thompson’s shop which came later. On Santa Fe close to Anaheim St. Old Man Hal

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jnaki, LBCD and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey O,
    Yes, your memory is perfect. The combination of the Italian meats, the sauce for cooking, the actual cooking smells wafting all over the store was just made for mouth watering dreams. Mickey Thompson's shop was nearby and I am sure those guys remember going there for lunch or late dinners during those long, night time builds or prep times.

This area of Santa Fe was about three blocks from our house and my dad's friend had a pool hall across the street, near that giant building that made vitamins, Nutrilite? Weber's Bread was also down the street, who knew about wheat bread back then, it was tasty white bread straight from the oven.

The whole area was industrial and started with the original drive-in restaurant on the corner of Santa Fe and PCH Highway 101. The drive in restaurant was on the corner, right next to the giant Bill Williams Welding Shop. No one I have contacted seems to remember the name of that original drive-in restaurant.

Jnaki
    Thanks for bringing this back up as we were over there recently and the area is still industrial with a few new hot rod shops in that zone. Santa Fe Importers started my dad on great sandwiches, tons of Italian sauces, and giant meatballs. He got my mom to make her own giant meatballs with some type of Marinara Sauce for dinner. Now, I am hungry...

LOU WELLS, LBCD and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

SNOW IN COASTAL SO CAL?
    upload_2018-12-13_5-21-38.png It does and it did in 1932. But, of course, that was way before our time in So Cal. Our dad was around going to college and mentioned it once or twice…But for us, those days were like black holes…information in and gone in a second.

photo taken at UCLA in 1932…KCET

Hello,

In looking back to all of those years when we would go up to the snowy local mountain areas after a coastal, So Cal winter rainfall, there is/was a question that lingers: Does it snow in the So Cal beach areas? Ever? Like on the Eastern Seaboard? The West Coast of the California is relatively a warm desert climate most of the year from below the mid-valley areas. If it wasn’t for imported water from Arizona and Northern California, it would be almost like the Death Valley Area down in the Los Angeles to Orange County cities. So, the warm climate AND water make it a nice area to live and grow up. But, the stories continue with the question: Does it snow in coastal, So Cal?
    upload_2018-12-13_5-22-43.png Feb 21, 1944 City Hall building in downtown Los Angeles

But, as far as our own history in So Cal is concerned, I remember a “once in a lifetime” SNOW covering our front lawn of our Westside Craftsman house in 1949. It was a miracle as far as we were concerned. We had just moved here several months ago from our first Long Beach abode. This was our first real house. Of course, little snowmen popped up all over our yard and covered front porch. Since it was a surprise to everyone in So Cal, it was well documented with old photos.
    upload_2018-12-13_5-38-59.png upload_2018-12-13_5-39-12.png
    Jnaki

My dad must have taken some photos of the snow with his huge Graflex 4x5 Camera, but we have yet to discover those snow shots, in the photo archives we have searched. But, as you photo buffs know, it was not a point and shoot camera, but took a while to completely set up, including those popping out, flash bulbs.
    DOCUMENTED SNOW DAYS IN SO CAL:

upload_2018-12-13_5-24-5.png Irvine, CA 1949
    “Early one January, in 1949, heavy snow blanketed Southern California, surprising locals with the strangest weather the area has ever faced. The snowfall began on the evening of January 10, after a long rain spell in the midst of a wave of bitter cold. Over the next two days, the temperature averaged between 20 to 25 degrees throughout Orange County.”

“An overall average of two inches of snow hit, with greater concentrations in the Santa Ana Mountains and other elevated areas. Silverado reported depths of snow reaching over six inches. Irvine Ranch reached four inches of snow as the flatter areas of Orange, Tustin and Irvine all reached three inches on January 11.”

upload_2018-12-13_5-25-15.png LAGUNA BEACH 1949
    "This photo was taken by Marie Ayres of her new home at the intersection of San Remo Dr. and Temple Hills Dr. The date was Jan. 11, 1949. Marie built her home with her war widows pension and worked as the night auditor at the Hotel Laguna for some time. As her new home was above the highest water tank in town she would have to stop on her way home and turn on the pump to her house if she wanted to take a bath."

"She later married Tommy Ayres who owned the Chevy dealership in Laguna. For people who think this photo is a fake, notice Catalina in the background. The home is still there but no longer painted yellow."

“The hillsides of San Clemente, Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach were frosty white and local roads were closed due to slick roads and traffic accidents. Strangely enough, north OC beach communities, including Huntington Beach, reported warm coastal waters. Some locals flocked to the beach for a swim.”

“But for the children, it was like a second Christmas. Most public schools were closed. The snow melted away after January 13, as a sporadic rainfall brought things back to normal and the rare January Snowstorm of 1949 faded into memory.”

One last day that we missed: Up the coast where we were at Long Beach State College, it was very cold and cloudy, but the storm system must have been too low in the weather track and hit San Diego, instead. As the California/Pacific Ocean generated, storm systems go: Then it is onto Arizona and continues to take the Eastward track.

If this phenomenon was in the Midwest or East, it would have been put off as a normal occurrence. But, it was in mild, usually sunny, Southern So Cal.

DEC. 13, 1967
    The day it snowed in San Diego

upload_2018-12-13_5-27-25.png
    "The warming influence of the Pacific Ocean keeps the weather of San Diego relatively consistent throughout the year, with temperatures rarely dropping low enough to even support the white stuff."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dd464d85647bd00998dc451d095b7279.jpg
    Santa Monica Pier, 1922. If you drive out to the end of the pier (you used to be able to do that years ago) you could say that you were at the farthest western point of Route 66. The large building in the center is the famous Merry-Go-Round building used in the motion picture "The Sting" many years ago.

5163194586_2c46261dc7_b.jpg
    Looking South on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) toward Laguna Beach.

1945.12.DeDienes.RoadOutsideLA.05.jpg
    A cute kid sitting on the road on PCH, 1945. Norma Jean Baker.

11. jnaki

jnaki

Daisy Lane Parade Makes Annual Holiday Return For The 64th Year...

Hello,

Back in the early days of living in our 2nd Westside house in 1954, my dad found out that a neighboring street on the other side of the LA River (and the Long Beach Freeway,later) was going to have a six block long decorated, lighted tree row for the upcoming Christmas season. We were sort of novices for going to see the Christmas decorations.

We only went to one other place as little kids. We had already been taken to downtown Long Beach on Pine Avenue for their annual lights strung over the street (making it like a tunnel), so this one was going to be a new experience for us. (Down a neighborhood street.)
    upload_2018-12-19_4-2-54.png
    We were so happy that some big time (for us) Christmas event was going on just over the other side of the LA River. We did not know any families on that side of the LA River, but, met some during one of those times when the LA River was so full (close to the top) flowing out to the ocean. It was a big event during one of those 50 year rainstorms in So Cal. The river was so close to the top that we thought it was going to hit the bottoms of the crossing PCH bridge.

Then a temporary evacuation was issued for all of the Westside/Eastside homes near the LA River. (Daisy Ave. on the Eastside) Luckily, the rain subsided and the river slowly lowered its ravaging, flow height and it was no longer within two feet of the top. That would have been horrendous.

(Some historical facts: Before the freeway, homes, and the flood control berms were built all along the L.A. River, it was a wild flowing river bringing top soil down from back in the upper Los Angeles areas down to the ocean area in Long Beach. The whole area was called an Alluvial Plain...learned from a college geography class.

That constant flow over the million years made the area where we lived, laden with "super soil." We could throw any seed into our backyard and within a week, super size growth showed up and continued to grow without us doing anything. Of course, grass/lawn in front and back constantly needed cutting...pre-teen + teen permanent job. )

The original Daisy Lane, drive through, Christmas Tree route went right by my friend’s house and they always sat out in front to wave at the drivers and families in their cars. Listening to their stories later as teens, gave a whole new meaning to the lighted tree route. But, as the years went on, more cars started arriving and a traffic jam of sorts was being created.

Then during high school, we all took our hot rods/cruisers down the street with a car load of guys. Not many girls had their own cars during this era. So, when they asked nicely, we all jumped at the chance and they were given rides down this colorfully decorated street. (and across town in the Alamitos Bay Floating Trees area.)

Jnaki

As all good things go, the street had seen its heydays. The trees in the middle started to die out and when the water shortage was upon everyone, those trees died. The houses were still decorated, but as the residents got older and the kids moved out, those houses went dark, too.

So, the city has still been able to give the neighborhood some glory from its historical past. They sponsor a holiday parade down the street and everyone is/was invited. The homes are back in their element and the lights have been added and turned on for everyone. It is an old, small town feel inside of a large city by the sea.

If anyone missed the parade, it still is a fun drive in your hot rod or cruiser anytime. But, for us little kids, during those early days, it was a wonderful sight with the long rows of Christmas Trees all lit up and decorated. Some of those center median Pine Trees have grown to their maximum heights, a far cry from the 6 foot tall rows of Pines back in those early days.

The shiny, black Impala glistened with reflections of the colorful lights from the trees and neighborhood's decorated homes. It was a good thing the Impala always had a deep, dark shine from all of the Cadillac Blue Coral and Classic Car Wax products on that paint.

12. LBCD and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-12-23_3-46-27.png
    1962 Long Beach Press Telegram

Hello,

A friend sent me this ad from an old newspaper that was printed in 1962. That was the year I graduated from high school. Wow, 57 years ago! In looking back, times were fun back then with no worries about anything in our neck of So Cal. (The nation affecting, Missile Crisis was a few months after the Summer of 62.)
    upload_2018-12-23_3-47-41.png High school newspaper 1962
    So, we were having fun cruising up and down the coast, forays into Baja for surf trips and looking forward to the drive up the mountains to the annual “Gathering of The High School Kids”in the Big Bear Lake area, after Christmas.
    upload_2018-12-23_3-48-42.png upload_2018-12-23_3-48-55.png
    The gathering of the high schoolers in Big Bear was a tradition that started many years earlier, during the early 50s. (It was possibly, earlier, since our Long Beach High School started in 1909) But, during our years up there, we were able to get in some cool parties, long walks in the cold snowy weather, and a few drag races in the back woods straight away streets, when the roads were clear and dry.
    upload_2018-12-23_3-49-28.png
    We had never seen so many high school kids in one place. There weren’t too many roadsters because of the cold weather and threat of snow/rain. But, there were a ton of coupes, sedans and cruisers roaming the main drag, all day and night. All 5 high schools usually attended, voluntarily, of course, and the word of mouth spread like wildfire. (This might be a bad choice in California…sorry)

Jnaki

Life was easier then, but, history was about to whack us in the head several months later. Then, in the ensuing “Summer of Love” years, dribbled into the conflict years. Wow, what a time to learn to grow up and get along in society! But, we are still hanging around our neck of So Cal !

1932 Ford 5 window coupe with 283 $800: relatively affordable for a teenager.
    upload_2018-12-23_3-50-36.png

Ron Funkhouser and Irish Mike like this.
  14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

JNAKI...don't forget that the minimum wage was a dollar in 1962! You'd have to cut a lot of lawns or flip a bunch of burgers to save up $800.

jnaki likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Denis,
    These were just some examples, but, $800 does sound like a lot of money. Most of the time, we teenagers had at least half or more, then the lovely parents kicked in the rest. There was a 46 Ford Coupe with an SBC that was a little less, but the teenager had enough saved to buy it in running condition in his senior year. It was not an on the spot purchase, but a saved bank account over the years. (Just like what we do today for our teenage kids...save for car, college, condo or house, etc.)

If it was a second car like my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I had to scrimp, sell stuff: plenty of surfboards/hot rod stuff, and save from everywhere to buy that sedan delivery. No help from the old folks, this time. But, for most teenagers, it was a long thought out purchase money, saved in the bank accounts, spread out over the pre-teenage & early pre-driving years.

Jnaki

Ron Funkhouser and Irish Mike like this.
  16. Junji,
    I delivered newspapers on White St. in 7th grade. I had a route from Harris to Atlantic (West to East) and Alondra to Compton (South to North) Good times back then with Custom City and Service Center on the corner of Atlantic/Alondra......

Ron Funkhouser, flyin-t and jnaki like this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here are some prices for high end hotels in 1956:
    E52D1661-DDCC-4FC5-93E6-71FEFF00AE40.jpeg

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Long Beach hotels 1956

AD68A232-0E3E-4720-9402-D1B01BAE773D.jpeg

19. Man, this thread sure has gone "off topic" since I first posted it nearly 3 years ago, lot's of hijacking since then!

20. jimmy six... It is clearly "off topic" if you go back and read the original post. The question that I raised was "what were you driving in the early 60's" not asking about other things that may or may not of happened back then or what "Back in the Day" meant to you or others. I find it extremely rude when someone "hijacks" a thread to discuss subject's unrelated to the original post whether they are my threads or someone else's. If people want to discuss those other subject's, they should start they're own threads pertaining to those subject's. To me, "Hijacking" a thread is no different than people that come to the hamb and want to talk about they're rat rods or import's. Anyway's, that's my 2 cent's!

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

1stGrumpy...point well taken. By the same token, these were the places we drove our cars to in Southern California
    A1B59FAD-D2DF-4936-AD21-7EDD6C36861F.jpeg

Drove this car to 5959 Hollywood Blvd to interview for a job at ROD & CUSTOM in 1959

Stogy, jnaki and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. flyin-t

flyin-t

We're the same age by a year or two, do you remember the little wood boat that sat just inside the front door at Service Center, had a briggs and stratton style engine hooked to a little Berkeley jet drive in it? Every time dad would take me with him I'd drool over that boat.

23. I understand what you are saying, I have talked about going to the beach, cruising Bob's or In N Out myself but I didn't go into detail about the menu's or about it snowing in L.A. in 1946. I guess what irritate's me is that the original post has lost it's intended direction. I don't begrudge anyone mentioning cruising spot's and such but I think that if you were to go back to the my first post and then re-read all the following post's, after about the third page you'll see what I am talking about. Again, that's just my opinion. I do hope that everyone has had a wonderful Christmas.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Without places to go, (cruising) hot rods would just sit on the driveways and backyards of homes across the area. But, because we have some nice attributes, (weather, ocean, mountains, great cruising locales) hot rods and cruisers played a huge part of growing up in So Cal. What is not to like?

One of our favorite stores in So Cal was the Long Beach Army Surplus Store on Long Beach Blvd. For the local hot rodders, it was our go to place for all things military and surplus parts. Canteens, tent stakes, multi-use belts with hooks all over the place, green high top tennies, jackets, and old rectangular military green backpacks were all in the mix. In the days of low cost clothing that was rather stylish, green high top tennies were less than a dollar. Military aircraft instruments, lighted panels, gauges were all on display and functioning. (a lot of the supplies came from the nearby Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard on Carson St.)

The shop was right on the outskirts of Bixby Knolls and right on one of the main thoroughfares to the cruising grounds. Teenagers from all over shopped there for “different” stuff. It was one of the "hot rod" places to go for fashionable So Cal teenager clothing and necessary hot rod supplies. (surplus left overs or not)
    upload_2019-1-7_3-23-43.png 1959
    It was difficult to remember the store before high school. But during/after, it was a place to go for inexpensive clothes and stuff. In 1960, we actually found a small black tachometer with a light that worked well. The manager told us it came from an airplane, from the Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard. When we took it home and hooked it up in the Impala, the interior light came on and the dial numbers lit up quite well.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-speedo-and-tach.1126081/page-2#post-12817503

The small black tachometer fit under the lip of the 58 Impala dash, without drilling new holes. A small mount worked and the only thing that was slightly hampered, were the last 10 mph lettering of the speedometer…110-120 mph. The tach worked quite well and was not overbearing like the big chrome ones from Sun. Plus, no new holes on the red dashboard.
    upload_2019-1-7_3-26-3.png
    Jnaki

When the 58 Impala was stolen in 1964, on one summer night, besides the 4 Buick Skylark wheels taken, was this small, black tachometer. The bad guys neatly unscrewed the tach and cut the wires, leaving no scratches anywhere. Nothing else was taken, including the 5th remaining Buick Skylark Wire Wheel spare still in the trunk.

upload_2019-1-7_3-27-20.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/love-for-vintage-tachometer-design.938415/page-4

63fdsnr and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. Grumpy, A great thread! Just my 2 cents, What I think happens alot is, { because I know I'm bad for doing this too} I'll read the Title of a the thread, and not read the first post. {So Cal back in the day} I read that, and I thought of the hay day of rodding in Cal. I live on the right coast. But I'm fascinated with So Cal. and the west coast back in the day. We have visited Cal. many times. I've really enjoyed this thread. I started a thread called, { cool roadside attractions } hopeing to see some of these places, that I would like to visit. So If anyone wants to post any of these COOL places on there, they would be more than welcome to. The photos are of Rods that I pictured cruisn the PCH back in the 60s. And listing to the Beach Boys on the AM radio. lol ;) THANKS Ron...... [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    65pacecar likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-5_4-49-57.png upload_2019-3-5_4-50-10.png
    This Thursday (March 7th)will be the last day of this most unusual exhibit at the Bixby Knolls storefront, Historical Society of Long Beach. The exhibit opened in July of 2018 and made its opening event to coincide with the local refurbished drive-in restaurant. (shades from the past during the early 1960s.)

Hello,

In the era of 1958-68, hot rods were all over Bixby Knolls. Some were just cruising, others were out for a nasty, drag race or two. But, most teenagers tried to get into the two drive-in restaurants that were very prominent in this community. Grissinger’s was the place to go as noted in many threads here on the HAMB. Ken’s Burgers was the next popular spot for low cost food and the perfect spot to be seen on Friday/Saturday nights.
    upload_2019-3-5_4-51-32.png upload_2019-3-5_4-51-46.png
    Grissinger’s drive-in parking lot was usually the most fun place. But, if it was full and had a long line up of hot rods ready to take the next open spot, then the next best thing was around the corner. The huge gathering at Ken’s Burgers located on the next big street over in Bixby Knolls. (Long Beach Blvd.) This hamburger place was next to its namesake family restaurant, using the same parking lot connection.

The family restaurant had a tradition of dressing up without Levis and t-shirts in the mix. We actually had to wear a collar shirt or sweater to fit in the ambiance. For us, we were always in awe of the different, huge, mean looking, stuffed bears that were in the entrance lobby. First there was a huge, brown Grizzly Bear standing on his hind feet with the paws up, creating a “thing” that stood over us easily.
    upload_2019-3-5_4-52-39.png
    The only Ken’s Burgers photo in existence from the Historic Society of Long Beach.

Then much later, the same pose, but this time, a huge, white Polar Bear with the same snarl and paws up in the air. Those greeted everyone when going to dinner. But, we usually had the opposite side of the parking lot for hot rods and cruisers, while the 4 door family sedans with a bunch of teenage girls were in the middle area.

The neat thing about this “other” drive-in restaurant was, of course, the low cost burgers and fries. (compared to Grissinger’s) But, the parking lot was so open (to the main street) that anyone driving by, could look over and see who was there. SO, WHERE WERE YOU IN ’62?

Jnaki

One cannot talk about hot rods and restaurants unless one last place in Bixby Knolls is mentioned.

For the most unusual restaurant just down the street (Atlantic Ave.) from Grissinger’s, the parking choices was a major problem. The situation consisted of street parking on Atlantic, if one could find it and there was usually a smattering of hot rods and cruisers parked on both sides of the street closest to the restaurant. Why? Well, Russell’s was known as the epitome of a fabulous, hamburger experience. Comparing it to today’s, In and Out, Mc D’s and any other concoction, Russell’s would win hands down.

So, hamburgers and hot rods in Bixby Knolls was a thing that was showcased almost weekly, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. Teenagers all had the hot spots picked out for a Friday night hang out place. For the older folks, there was always the famous Welch’s, spiffy, restaurant across the street from Grissinger’s. I am sure they did not like hot rods in their driveway entrance. Ha! They didn’t!!! (But, yes, to a nice, blue, 1957 2 door Buick Roadmaster)

Russell’s: All of them in Long Beach, but now, all gone. The sad part about it is that they opened up their first store in 1930.

“The place only seated about 20 people when it was full and had a line down the block on most summer nights. Best Strawberry Pie I ever had. First peanut butter pie I ever had. Have never had a burger to match the "double butter burger.”

“I grew up in the California Heights - Bixby Knolls area of Long Beach in the 50s and 60s. Russells had the BEST burgers. They were made with Ritchie baby beef ---really high quality meat that was available back then. Ray and Eddie’s Market featured Ritchie (not sure if spelling is correct) baby beef.”

“Back around 1955 a Russell's hamburger cost a staggering 50 cents! Outrageous at the time for a hamburger! The burgers were made on toasted buns with their own dressing with lettuce and onion --- they were impossible to eat without a million napkins! It was after Russell sold the restaurant, I think, that it was expanded. Last time I was there, about 1997, the hamburgers were still made the same but the beef was not as tasty as the original. Still it was a really great burger! This might be the only burger place ever that did not sell french fries. They had hash browns! Very unique.”

“The restaurant was an old-fashioned lunch counter, with no seating other than at the counter. It was long and narrow, and you stood in line waiting for seats to open up. Food was awesome, especially of course the burgers. My mom and I would split an order of hashbrowns, and then if I finished all my food I could get an order of peanut butter pie. I've had it as an adult and it's disgustingly sweet, but when you're 10 it's the most wonderful thing in the world.”

1998 “Since 1930 Long Beach has nurtured one of the best hamburger and pie dispensaries on the Pacific coast, Russell's, now at 4306 Atlantic Blvd. When my parents discovered the place it had mostly counter seating, and not much of that, so customers could often be found leaning against a wall, waiting for a place. The original owner was so insistent on his own brand of quality control that when he couldn't get proper beef during World War II, he simply closed the restaurant, and let his loyal clientele wait hungrily for peace and his return.”

“Today, under new ownership of a more modern bent, the restaurant still has one of its outlets on Atlantic Boulevard, but with much more space and no more lengthy closings. The hamburgers remain as delightfully goopy as ever. The pies -- everything from apple to ollalieberry -- are warm and crisp and fresh.”

1992: “In a recent Zagat guide, Russell's was rated not only the best burger joint in the Southland but also the best value of any local restaurant.

“And the original Russell's, a vintage lunch-counter in a '40s-era shopping strip in Long Beach's Bixby Knolls neighborhood, is a fine place, with swiveling wooden stools and a national-park-style wooden lean-to over the open grill, a few hanging plants left over from the '70s and friendly waitresses who refill your coffee quicker than you can drink it. A framed review on the wall, from an early-'50s restaurant guide, stresses the quality of the pies."

"The wallpaper is a delight to the eye. Where some other locations of Russell's, especially Pasadena, suffer from faux-Olde Tyme surroundings and indifferent service--the pre-eminent duty of a burger-restaurant waiter is to get food to the table while it is still crisp and hot--the original is almost charming.”

“ Russell's understands the hamburger. It understands that the sum of the parts can outweigh the whole even when the buns could be better and the beef patties have the slightly liverish taste common to chain burgers. It understands that a sugary sauce can have its place. The baroquely garnished McDonald's burger, a Southland creation, got its start somewhere, and it was probably in genteel, '40s-era, hamburger lunchrooms such as this.”

“Russell's burgers first present themselves as paper-jacketed oddities--too tall to get your mouth around unless your name happens to be Mr. Ed; colored vividly as a soft-sculpted Oldenburg--and then as pungent, drippy monsters, the dry-cleaner's friend. (Do not despair; there is always the pre-moistened towelette.) Crispness comes in several layers here: the lightly toasted bun, just starting to sog; the slightly under ripe tomato slice; the thickly sliced red onion; the wad of fresh iceberg lettuce; the pickle chips whose rubberiness suddenly gives way with a crunch. The cheese, an ordinary packaged American slice, melts properly into the meat, becoming more additional richness for the sweet dressing than a separately discernible ingredient. No two bites are alike.”

NOTE: The owner of Russell’s Restaurant went on to open Dale’s Diner (Sunny Spot Café/Diner) in East Long Beach, near the old Douglas Aircraft Plant and Long Beach City College on Carson St. That is probably the reason, while attending LBCC, we liked going to Dale’s, (Sunny Spot Café/Diner, back then) old home week and those fabulous hamburgers.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-cool-roadside-attraction.1091473/page-22#post-12948818

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser and 63fdsnr like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-16_7-57-21.png
    "POP" (pronounced "pee-oh-pee"), as it was soon nicknamed, was a joint venture between CBS and Santa Anita Park. It opened on Saturday, July 28, 1958 with an attendance of 20,000. The next day, the park drew 37,262 which outperformed Disneyland's attendance that day.”

Hello,

This park was the go to place for us because it was near the coast and just about the same distance as Disneyland to the East. But, we all had been to Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm and the South Coast beach towns. This was a little different as it was located in the Santa Monica Beach area. When it opened, the rumors of a new amusement park right on the water in Santa Monica spread fast. Our friends took the hot rods and cruisers to the “park on the water” in droves.

The local high school girls liked going to a new park with new rides and attractions. The big complaint on several occasions was that their hairdos were being attacked by the consistent fog and moisture that lingered in the air. At least Disneyland was dry and warm. This new POP place was rather cold, breezy and misty. Sometimes, there was fog so thick that it was hard to see. But we knew of this whole beach coastline, during our North Coast winter wave search cruises. It was different than our normal South Coast waves.

Jnaki

The newness of the park wore off with the complaints, the cold, the moisture/fog and …it was not Disneyland. It became a hard sell on dates and the gathering of the teenagers on Friday nights. The bad thing was that after a visit to the late evening POP park with its ever present fog and salt air moisture, something was caked on the roof, hood and trunk areas. If a swipe was made, it simply crusted on your fingertip. The 25 cents spray car washes were popular on the way home to Bixby Knolls and Long Beach.

The beaches for surfing? Not our cup of tea. Farther down the coast in Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes were much better than these West facing beaches in and around the POP park areas. The park closed in 1967 and it was run down by then. It was a sad So Cal location history.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    LBCD and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-26_9-36-47.png 32nd annual Seal Beach Car Show

Hello,
    We have been going to this car show off and on for the atmosphere. In the early days, it was spread out, near the RR tracks, then limited to the short Main Street, then opened up to the pier area and all of Main Street, etc. It did not matter if we spent hours walking around, we knew the local restaurants would be packed, so we always had alternate place picked out. The Alamitos Bay Harbor restaurants are within a mile or so. The Sunset Beach/Surfside restaurants (Woody's Captain Jack's since 1965) located South of the city have been around and are still outstanding.

But, one thing this car show has going for it that very few can match. It is a long Main Street leading to an ocean front surroundings and the Pier. The weather should be slightly cloudy, with some sun, 64 degrees and a cooling ocean breeze in the afternoon. We used to call it the "afternoon blowout" as the winds blew out the waves in the Surfside/Seal Beach areas.

Jnaki
    The cars are some of the best in So Cal and continue to grow each year. A great coastal drive and car show all in one day's activity.

"The event is free and open to the public, with ample free parking again this year, at the Naval Weapons Station in Seal Beach, with pedestrian and shuttle access to the show from the Liberty Gate entrance. The show is taking place Saturday, April 27, 2019, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Main Street, in Old Town Seal Beach."

"This year the Chamber of Commerce is pulling out all stops to give our visitors, and Seal Beach residents the best car show in the history of Seal Beach. Again, this year, in addition to almost 550 classic cars, the motocycle show is returning to Eisenhower Park. We have a plethora of activities going on, and all of the great Main Street pubs, restaurants, and shops to enjoy!"

"We have five amazing local bands playing on three separate stages throughout the day. At 2:30 pm, please come to the foot of the pier, where we will award trophies in 29 different categories. And don’t forget to get your limited edition car show t-shirts, they sell out quickly, as well as posters, which usually sell out before noon! Come down to Electric Avenue and Main Street to sign up your car for the 2020 Seal Beach Car Show that will be on April 25, 2020. We see you all at the foot of the pier at 9:00am for the opening ceremonies including the singing of the national anthem and military honor guard, and words from our local elected officials."

Ron Funkhouser and Sky Six like this.
  29. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

It is a truly must see event.

jnaki likes this.
  30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

don't have any pics, sorry, but they had white house paint and 56 chevys in Indiana also, back in the 60s just sayin! :D:cool: