Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Anybody ever see the water tower in the shape of a catsup bottle? I think it was on Rt. 66 (Okla. or Texas?)
    Still a FEW cool place on the "pieces-of-route-66". I thought the huge power generating windmills were a cool site (for an old man who never seen'em before). Winslow, Arizona (stand-on-the-corner) Spray paint your name on one of the half buried Cadillacs in the Caadillac Graveyard in McAllister,Texas.
    Travel down A1A to Florida and be sure to take the ferry.(I guess its still there)
    6sally6
    PS. Everybody knew the most powerful fireworks were sold in Alabama. (M-80's and Silver Salutes). Very capable of removing several appendages if held tooooo long!

2. Sally, the giant Catsup bottle is in Collinsville Illinois. It was built in 1949. :) Ron...[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, i.rant, 392 and 7 others like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

NOPE!...There must be another one. Never been to Collierville,Ill.

loudbang likes this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

COLORADO ST. BRIDGE, PASADENA, CA

“In 1890, Valley Hunt Club members, led by Charles Frederick Holder, sponsored the first Tournament of Roses. The abundance of flowers, even in the midst of winter, prompted the club to add a parade before the competition, where entrants would decorate carriages with hundreds of colorful blooms. In New York, people are buried in snow,” announced Professor Charles F. Holder at a Club meeting. “Here our flowers are blooming and our oranges are about to bear. Let’s hold a festival to tell the world about our paradise.”

“More than a century later, the parade floats are a marvel of state of the art technology, all tucked away beneath flowers and other all-natural materials. Every New Year, visitors experience the beauty of the floral floats along with spirited marching bands and high-stepping equestrian units along the 5 ½ mile route down Colorado Boulevard.”

upload_2018-12-29_3-53-38.png
    Hello,

With the annual Pasadena Rose Parade upon us for the 130th time, the real thing looks as good as it does on TV. Colorful floats, bands, horses, all play a part of So Cal history. But, for the out of town visitors, as long as you are visiting the local attractions, drive over a few blocks to see the historic arch bridges of Colorado Blvd.

If you are one of the 100,000 people in the actual Rose Bowl, you may have already driven below the bridges to get to your parking spot prior to the game. But there are other ways to get into the stadium parking, so on the way out, try the historic bridge underpass for a very unusual view of a bridge. In Pasadena, there are plenty of things to see. This is one of the different attractions that can be experienced by driving your car/hot rod/cruiser/rental car/van, etc.

Jnaki

One year, my dad and I were at a Rose Bowl Football Game, in 1963. We had taken a charter bus from Long Beach to the game and afterwards, our bus driver started leaving the huge, parking area and got lost. He pulled over and told all of us that he is lost. (a Long Beach City bus driver, in the dark, in an area not familiar to him.) My dad told him to take the Arroyo Blvd. underpass road from the Rose Bowl and keep going to hit the real Long Beach Freeway or 710 as it is called, today.
    upload_2018-12-29_3-55-56.png
    A total bus rider(s) argument ensued and the driver was confused. People were saying all sorts of alternatives... When it was my turn, I spoke up about my dad's idea and the history behind it. We had family friends that lived a few blocks away from the Rose Bowl. We had visited many times and that my dad knew the roads/traffic around here. We took a vote on the bus.

Everyone on the bus voted to follow my dad’s 16 plus years of working/driving in the Los Angeles/Pasadena area with knowledge about which roads to drive in heavy traffic. We got home in record time and everyone thanked my dad at the downtown, Long Beach drop off point. (...even the Long Beach City bus driver thanked him.)

Rose Parade bound? Rose Bowl bound? Don’t forget to drive under this very cool and unusual bridge right in the middle of Metropolitan LA/Pasadena. Different people always see the bridge in different ways…

NOTE: Because this area had the first freeway built way back in those early days, the design was efficient for those old days. But, with the modern traffic, faster cars, impatient drivers, there are plenty of off ramps and on ramps that need extra care when exiting or entering. They are so sharp and short, not leaving much room to maneuver safely. Check the maps and just be careful.

upload_2018-12-29_3-56-33.png
    “The landmark structure, also referred to as the Arroyo-Seco Viaduct, carries Colorado Boulevard (then called “Colorado Street”), the major east-west thoroughfare connecting Pasadena with Eagle Rock and Glendale to the west, and with Monrovia to the east. It spans 1,486 feet and is notable for its distinctive Beaux Arts arches, light standards and railings. The concrete bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineers.”

5. Thanks { JNAKI }My dad comes over and watches the Rose Bowl parade with us every year. :)[​IMG]

6. jnaki

jnaki

MT. WILSON OBSERVATORY
    This road to the observatory, would have been perfect for Blues4U’s New Year’s Day cruise.
    upload_2019-1-16_4-40-59.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-cal-new-years-day-cruise-pics-added.1133368/

But, decided that the hot rods on this cruise, if chosen, would have run into the Rose Parade traffic outgoing or the Rose Bowl Traffic incoming.
    upload_2019-1-16_4-43-38.png

Hello,

Take the time to leisurely drive this stretch of Metropolitan Los Angeles and enjoy the scenery. Besides, it is not one of those roads for high speed, curving cutting corners style of driving. The reward is the journey AND the destination.
    upload_2019-1-16_4-45-32.png In 1967, sometime in January, we decided to go for a cruise up one of the local mountain roads to the top. Being accustomed to driving around in Los Angeles areas during all of our forays into the rock concert venues, we were familiar with the freeways and smaller county roads leading to whatever. When we started up the mountain road the weather was clear.

The 1965 El Camino was still relatively new and fun to drive. A full tank of gas settled the empty back bed area, to give us some stability going around the twisty bends. The wide Inglewood Redline Pos-A-Traction Tires and the mid-range of air in the El Camino rear air shocks helped tremendously. It was a cozy drive up that twisty road to the top of the Mt. Wilson area in the San Gabriel Mountains.

From the busy LA Metropolitan area to this serene drive and final, eerie, quiet area is definitely a contrast in locations. It was sunny as we left the Pasadena Rose Bowl area and half way up, were amazed at what was behind us. The whole city was under a blanket of fog. But, the odd thing was, the fog cleared up by the time we got to the top of the mountain at the Mt. Wilson observatory compound. There was still some winter snow packed into the nooks and crannies, but it was clear driving and hiking all around the area.

Jnaki

We were not on a speed run up the hill. It was a So Cal picturesque drive with comfort and serenity in mind. (after all, it was one of our “first dates” during the day.) A nice lunch in the crisp air at the top of the mountain road and trail was superb. No crazy drivers on this patch of So Cal, either up or down the road.
    upload_2019-1-16_4-46-50.png In 1967, this photo was taken
    with a 35mm Ektachrome slide film camera. It was taken from one of the million rest areas along the twisty Highway 2. This main road is from the downtown Pasadena Rose Bowl area.

FROM THE HOMESTEAD COLLECTION: upload_2019-1-16_4-48-34.png

A real photo postcard from the Homestead’s collection and dating to about the late 1910s showing the Mt. Wilson Hotel covered in deep layers of snow on a sunny winter’s day. The hotel operated for several decades and the structure was torn down in 1966.

“The accompanying photograph from the Homestead’s collection shows the Mt. Wilson Hotel covered with abundant snow sometime in the later 1910s. During the so-called “Great Hiking Era” from the 1890s to the 1930s, the San Gabriels featured a significant numbers of camps and resorts, including the one atop Mt. Wilson.”

“The mountain was named for Benjamin D. Wilson (1811-1878), a native of Tennessee who came to Los Angeles in late 1841 with the expedition identified with John Rowland and William Workman. Though he was said to have been interested in taking a ship to China after arriving in California, Wilson stayed in the area.”

“While the hotel has been gone for a half-century, the observatory is still doing its important work and the mountain is home to antennas that service many of our local television stations. Finally, lovers of the outdoors can hike to the top of Mt. Wilson from several trailheads and enjoy the atmosphere on one of the best-known peaks in the San Gabriel range.”

From a previous post:
    Hello,

One of the coolest drives in So Cal is one that goes up into the Angeles National Forest to end up at Mt. Wilson Observatory. All roads lead to La Canada/Flintridge as a starting point. The 210 freeway crosses the Angeles Crest Highway. Take this route (2) up to the end at Mt. Wilson in about 1.5 hours. It is not the time it takes, but what you see on the way up and once you get there. We did this drive a couple of times, once in our 65 El Camino and once in a 4 speed car years later.

Get ready to enjoy up and down shifting a million times for a very cool drive up a forested road to the top. If you are in a car with good sounds emanating from the exhaust pipes/motor, you are in for a great show/drive. But it is worth it, except for rainy weather. That could be a little tricky. We went up in December (one time) and there was snow on the sides of the road, but the road itself was clear and moist. It was a little slow going and cold, but worth the drive.

Coming down is a little hectic, like all mountain drives, but with care, you will be safe. What you see is what you get…and it is a good one.

Jnaki

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-2-9_3-30-4.png
    Dale’s Café/Diner in East Long Beach, on the border of Lakewood:

Hello,

Last week, I drove a hundred plus miles to get to the Historical Society of Long Beach in Bixby Knolls. I was presenting drag racing films to the Society for their Legends of Lions display. I needed to have some lunch, so I decided to do an old style memory tour.

The history of this area goes back many years. For me, it was part of our High School cruising scene and the first two years of LBCC. From cruising down Carson St. and Lakewood Blvd, to scrounging around in the big Douglas Surplus Yard weekly, playing football in the stadium, and visiting friends that lived near the golf course, it all has a special meaning. There were many hours total sitting in those booths in the diner from 1962-65. It is a short walk (.4 mile) away from the Long Beach City College campus.

The history of this diner:
    upload_2019-2-9_3-36-45.png
    The original, Lakewood Broiler near Douglas Aircraft and LBCC was a family restaurant/café. It lasted until the late 50s. It was the closest café/diner to the massive Douglas Aircraft Manufacturing Plant just across the street. This diner was on the the corner of Carson St. and Norse Way. It lasted through the years and was renamed the Sunny Spot Cafe/Diner sometime during the late 50s.

For us, The Sunnyspot Café/Diner was within walking distance from the LBCC campus. It was a quick drive to and from to save time between classes or for lunch. But, on days that had longer breaks between classes, the walk was very nice and relaxing. The sight of the football stadium, the planes/jets being built at the nearby Douglas Aircraft Company, and the myriad of cool hot rods and cruisers on Carson Street back to Bixby Knolls (right out in front of the café/diner) made this atmosphere fun, at the time, for us carefree freshmen and sophomores.

upload_2019-2-9_3-40-17.png
    During our stay at LBCC until 1965, it was called the Sunny Spot Café.

“Then, there's the Sunny Spot Cafe on 4339 E. Carson St., where to walk in, is like stepping into a pair of old slippers."

From local writer, Tim Grobaty:

“But for now, it’s the winner of the What’s Hot! Best Milkshake in Long Beach (and thereabouts), which is (egg roll please) Dale’s Diner!

We’re cool with that. There are a number of places that try to rekindle the somewhat glorious days of the 1950 s soda fountain/burger joint, including the leading runner-up, Ruby’s Diner, but with a little less tuck-and-roll and chrome and more full-on nostalgia of the local variety, including a couple of old Pike bumper cars transformed into little booths.

The Dale of Dale’s was Dale Pierro, from the Russell’s family of local burger-and-shake fame. He’s long since been out of the Dale’s business — he went on to open Dad’s Diner in Long Beach, and, later, the Captain’s Quarters in Park Estates (now diPiazza’s). Dale’s Diner has been owned and run by Art Garcia and wife Isabel for 17 years.

And shake expert Elizabeth Jones, who built shakes for many years at Russell’s, says Dale’s is the closest thing to the defunct Long Beach institution that was Russell’s. You will find Dale’s Diner at 4339 E. Carson St., in Long Beach at Norse Way. Dale’s Diner is a classic ’50s diner with all the accoutrements you would expect and plenty of classic comfort food. The service is old time attentive and the prices are reasonable.”

(Russell’s is/was another Bixby Knolls institution for all of us teenagers. The hamburgers were the best in the area. The bad thing that got in the way? It was just down the street from Grissinger’s Drive-In and could not compete with the aura of that gathering place. But, the food at Russell’s was a “date night extravaganza” at other times)

Jump up to the present times at Dale’s Diner. Walking into the diner was like “old home week.” The place looked like it did back in our old HS and early College days. But, it did have a new feeling, music, and décor to fill the memory banks.
    upload_2019-2-9_3-41-50.png
    The menu was awesome and had some tasty treats from mild to wild. The food was excellent. When the food was brought out, it felt like sitting in a custom 1957 Chevy Bel Air at a drive-in restaurant, inside of those green and white tuck and roll seats. (Sometimes, we actually drove over to this old diner location in a white 57 Chevy Bel Air between classes at nearby LBCC during 62-65.) It was then and now, comfort food at its finest.
    upload_2019-2-9_3-42-24.png
    Jnaki

So, for the last several miles to Bixby Knolls and an hour spent at the Historic Society for the Lions films, the rest spot for lunch near LBCC was a good idea. Not only did Dale's Diner have great food, but it is a historic spot in the Long Beach/Lakewood area. The location has a long history of one of those classic diners that are still holding tons of memories, from back in the early 50s, for the local folks.

Long Beach City College, founded in 1927, was first located at Woodrow Wilson High School in Long Beach. (my dad attended LBCC here and experienced the earthquake in 1933) After the earthquake of 1933 destroyed much of Wilson High School, the college moved to its present Liberal Arts Campus to Carson St. in 1953. The Viking Way name, as well as its counterpart, Norse Way near Lakewood Blvd, doubtless was a product of LBCC’s Viking mascot, “OLE” who made his first appearance in 1937

Dale’s Diner is located at the corner of Carson St. and Norse Way.
    upload_2019-2-9_3-43-4.png
    Note:

For those that remember the old Douglas Aircraft Company across the street, it has changed to Boeing. But the aircraft building areas on that side of Lakewood Blvd are gone and taken over by Mercedes Benz for their business. The area where the famous Douglas Aircraft Surplus Yard on Carson St. is obviously gone, the land sold and now is a huge, block long, outdoor, shopping center called the LBX or Long Beach Exchange.

It was a blast, walking around, digging through scrap aluminum, aircraft gauges, support beams, hoses, and stuff we thought we could use on our hot rods… Times do fly, but memories stay around as long as they can.

i.rant, LBCD, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  8. Junji, Thanks again for your post. It's about 32 degrees here in Va. today. So I enjoy your post of Sourthen California. Last week it was 70, Ron..... 20171224_090856.jpg 20171125_163858.jpg 20171125_173106.jpg

9. In 2016 I moved from MD to FL and found a few neat steps. South of the Border was a fun stop with plenty to see... FB_IMG_1550799468336.jpg 20190221_204938.jpg FB_IMG_1550799480992.jpg FB_IMG_1550799473008.jpg FB_IMG_1550799490480.jpg FB_IMG_1550799486179.jpg FB_IMG_1550799413603.jpg FB_IMG_1550799523614.jpg FB_IMG_1550799502775.jpg FB_IMG_1550799530380.jpg FB_IMG_1550799461331.jpg FB_IMG_1550799451107.jpg

loudbang, Lil32, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  10. Sadler travel plaza is in Emporia VA, if you are a nascar fan it's worth the exit off 95. FB_IMG_1550799427725.jpg FB_IMG_1550799413603.jpg the giant ice cream cone is a chain of twistee treats all around Florida. FB_IMG_1550799753612.jpg
    The McDonald's on rt17 around Winter Haven FL has nice arches but the building is modern FB_IMG_1550799767324.jpg the power lines on Rt4 near Orlando are Mickey shaped FB_IMG_1550799579743.jpg

loudbang, Lil32, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  11. Pedro's road signs on I-95 are almost as good as the old Burma Shave road signs. At Pedro's South of the Border, there's a store that has great Mexican blankets. They make great seat covers for your hot rod.

12. I had never been before driving down the coast. 100 miles of billboards had me very intrigued to say the least.

13. Not my photo but my dad used to drive us past the big hammer on rt 210 in Fort Washington MD. 20190222_205803.jpg

14. jnaki

jnaki

LAST REMNANTS OF A HISTORIC EVENT IN SO CAL 1939
    upload_2019-2-28_5-27-29.png
    Hello,

As part of the So Cal hot rod cruising scene, Alamitos Bay has provided plenty of spots for teenagers. The beaches are calm, the sand hot, and the huge car show in September as well as the floating Christmas Trees lining the bay are all part of the lore of cruising the streets in the 50s-60s, up to the current times.

As it has been exposed to millions of people over the years that have seen the beach, but, a mystery has always been part of this cruising scene. The Peninsula drive and beaches on both sides of Ocean Blvd provide quiet, solitude and privacy. As one cruises down to the end of the Peninsula from the famous 54th place and Bayshore Ave. beach, it can’t be helped but to see three lonely homes sitting on the expanse of white sand beach. Wow, a private beach? (Three individual homes for the very, wealthy people? Exclusivity within a public beach section of the city? Etc.)

The last time we were on that Ocean Blvd, we saw one being rebuilt. But, the other two looked like a throwback to the 60s, when we used to see them almost weekly on our extended hot rod cruises. At the time, we always thought that it was a private beach. There were some waves, but only during the radical summer swells from the South. (And, it only works if the angle of the swell comes in through the Southern end of the Long Beach Breakwater. The big breakwater stops all other swells from reaching this portion of the long…beach area during the rest of the year.

Jnaki

So, for it being a cool attraction, these are the last remnants of the 1939 hurricane that struck Southern California with some vengeance. It was the one and only result of the odd West Coast Hurricane occurrence. In the 20th and 21st centuries, no other hurricane has come this close to the shore. Sure, we have all seen the big waves, rain, and currents that come in from the South, but to be actually hit directly, by a hurricane striking the homes and beaches is/was a phenomenon.

So, the next time anyone is in town to take a hot rod cruise to one of the best beaches in the area, take a nostalgic trip down memory lane to Ocean Blvd. It will lead you to the lonely homes and to the end of the Long Beach Peninsula.( AND A GREAT STORY TO TELL THEM)

A part of So Cal history:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/so-cal-back-in-the-day.1017743/page-12#post-12470753 Alamitos Bay Peninsula

In 1967-68, I used to park the 1965 El Camino on Ocean Blvd near Dana Place, just two blocks from the remaining homes along the boardwalk. It was the location of my wife’s college apartment. The boardwalk along this section of the beach was a fun stroll at anytime of the day or night. We spent many hours on the sand and boardwalk during these college days.

The location was perfect as a swim in the ocean on one side, then across Ocean Blvd. was the calm Alamitos Bay for a different experience. At the time, from her apartment, we could hear the rumble of hot rods and cruisers rumbling down the boulevard towards the Seal Beach end of the peninsula. But, those lonely homes just steps up the beach, still stood like they did in 1939…
    Enjoy the So Cal history:

upload_2019-2-28_5-31-57.png
    “The five houses on the beach side of Ocean Boulevard are remnants of a group of houses that were built before a Category 1 hurricane struck the area in 1939. The houses you see today are the only ones that survived.

An 1895 map of the area titled “Alamitos Bay Townsite” shows lots along the ocean side along what was then called Peninsula Avenue. The map is signed by Llewellyn Bixby and shows the high tide line at the base of the homes.

The tropical storm was the only one to directly hit California in the 20th century, and the 21st century, too … so far. It had winds as high as 75 miles per hour and dumped over 5 inches of rain in 24 hours. There was so much rain that the Hamilton Bowl, the site of today’s Chittick Field, overflowed and flooded the surrounding area. The storm moved inland near Long Beach and did over $2 million in damage in 1939 dollars and killed 45 people throughout Southern California.

Back in 1939, the Weather Bureau of the United States didn’t name tropical storms, but that didn’t stop residents from coming up with colorful names like El Cordonazo or The Lash of St. Francis. The storm was preceded by a week-long heat wave that killed over 90 people. Beach-goers were on the sand when the fast-approaching tropical depression’s high winds forced lifeguards to close the beach. The next year the Weather Bureau opened a Southern California forecast office.

Shelly Reid said that her father, an oil man, built their family home a year before the storm in the 5400 block of Ocean Boulevard. When the house was built it was one of many along that stretch of beach.

Reid explained that when she was young, and the ocean was at high tide, waves would crash right under her house. She said her dad made sure the structure was protected by building the home on pilings buried 50 feet in the sand. She remembered the storm and the throngs of lookey-loos who came to check out the rows of damaged homes after the rain subsided.

Reid said growing up at the house she saw dredging in the Alamitos Bay and long pipes that ran over Ocean Boulevard depositing sand that filled the beach in front of her house. Some of the sand used to make the beach larger came from the bay, but much came from other sources like the mountains and Catalina Island.

Homes from Granada Avenue to 55th Place seemed to suffer the most damage. One of the reasons, as Poe explained, is because the boardwalk that ends at 55th Place was never completed. He said that homeowners in that area didn’t want a boardwalk in front of their homes. The wooden walkway, along with its seawall that is buried 15 feet in the sand, might have provided some protection if it was completed. The boardwalk is still there today – and it still ends at 55th Place

Poe said that in an effort to avoid being responsible for further damage, the city of Long Beach started buying the land where the homes once stood. There were a variety of lawsuits, but the city continued to buy properties as late as the 1960s. The homes that remain today simply refused to sell.”

15. Thanks again Junji. I looking fowards to our next trip to the west coast and, checking out some of the COOL places that you have posted on here. Also { greasemonky } thanks for your cool post too. My brother and, I made our parents stop every time that we passed, South of the Border also! Then our kids did the same to me lol:) 20170617_203518.jpg 20170810_123413.jpg 20170812_200214.jpg 20171013_124019.jpg 20171013_175214.jpg Spring is coming. So I hope to see more of your fun photos from along the roadside.:) Thanks Ron....

16. It was so nice out yesterday, so I took a few photos. This is the Strasburg mill. It was built in 1797. 20190311_123031.jpeg 20190311_104759.jpeg 20190311_103431.jpeg 20190311_103330.jpeg 20190311_104659.jpeg 20190311_104724.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-3-23_3-53-25.png
    Mt. St. Helens vnak photo

Hello,

We were on a road trip to the Pacific Northwest for some summertime greenery and different coastal view we have not seen for a while. Driving up the coast is always more fun than driving on the massively long I-5 freeway that runs from the Mexican border to the Canadian border at the edge of Washington State. Then crossing through some of the thickest forested areas on the West Coast to the I-5 was fun, dodging the barreling, crazy, logging trucks.

This historic site had been on our list of places to see up here. Even though, we had blasted past it, driving on the I-5 heading for the San Juan Islands several times. We got there early enough, so the massive amount of travelers were not there, yet. We got as close as possible and checked out the surrounding sites and outlook points. It was a walk from the parking lot to the main building and photo sites, so be prepared. "Walking, was the mode of the day..." We drove in from Castle Rock at the I-5 and it was a long, slow drive (about 50 miles and an hour+) on Highway 504 to the Johnston Ridge parking area.

It was tremendous as we drove up and started seeing the peak of Mt. St. Helens. Not that we like the single by Paul McCartney, but the song “Long and Winding Road” fits the Mt. St. Helens area perfectly:

“The long and winding road
    That leads to your door
    Will never disappear
    I've seen that road before
    It always leads me her
    Lead me to you door”

We did see some custom trucks and one old sedan trudging up the curvy road. But, for the most part, it was modern cars into the hillside elevations.

Jnaki

The next time we are on our way to the Pacific Northwest again, we will stop at Woodland on the I-5 and stock up. Then drive inland on Highway 503 for another hour or so to the viewing area on the South side of Mt. St. Helens. It is so massive and awesome that a different view is necessary. If you have a forest road, capable vehicle, there are some roads that will take you a little closer in a different direction.
    upload_2019-3-23_3-55-12.png
    After our cruise up to the north side of Mt. St. Helens and spending the whole day walking around, we drove back to nearby Portland, Oregon, for some rest and relaxation. (This trip up here was a Portland area only trip) One could not pass up the trendy, “Voodoo Donuts” while in downtown Portland.

upload_2019-3-23_3-56-20.png

18. Thanks for sharing Jnaki. Those photos are great. These crosses are along Interstate 81 here in the Shenandoah valley. 20190311_140722.jpeg 20190311_140838.jpeg 20190311_140825.jpeg 20190311_140655.jpeg 20190311_140929.jpeg

19. prpmmp

prpmmp

20. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,
    What a small world, just like a kid with your last name at my high school graduating class, there was also an older guy named ZOOK. How many Zooks could there be in the USA? That is a strange moment in time. We live in a wide variety of coincidences and wide spread facts everywhere.

Jnaki
    "Stranger things" happen all of the time. It was as if we get placed somewhere in the whole timeline of things in the world. Someone is playing a giant board game with us as characters. HA HA ! Nice travels in your sedan delivery. You do "get around..."

21. Thanks Pete and, Jnaki. I don't get around as much as I used too. Lol On the way home from the Westminster swap meet yesterday. I spotted this??? What ever it is, alongside the road. It was at one of those places that has yard ornaments and stuff. Can anyone guess what it is, or was? I thought it was Cool. Looks like something from outer space. Lol Ron... 20190322_123731.jpeg

22. Ron, it looks like a pressure chamber I saw while working at Ft Detrick. used for scientific testing. I'd want to put it on a huge chrome stick and paint a 4 speed pattern on it.

23. My dad just let me know that the hammer is gone now.

24. Natural bridge in Virginia, is one of the seven natural wonders of the world.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  25. Here's a cool swinging bridge that I visited today. Not as great, But a cool roadside attraction.:) 20190415_133251.jpeg 20190415_133338.jpeg 20190415_134329.jpeg 20190415_134715.jpeg

26. Cool stuff, Ron. There are some truly beautiful scenes in rural Virginia.

27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-20_17-49-35.png
    “Tobacco millionaire Abbot Kinney had a grandiose vision when he looked out at the marshland he had purchased on the Southern Californian coast.”

Hello,

Back in the cruising days 1958-65, we were always looking for something unusual as a destination. We had already gone to the P.O.P just down the way. We also had gone to park on the Santa Monica Pier as it was the only So Cal pier in our vicinity where cars were allowed to drive and park. Something fun and romantic always hit the spot for the companions on Friday/Saturday nights.

But, going down Highway 1 through Redondo Beach, El Segundo, Playa Del Rey, and the smelly mud flats where there is now, Marina Del Rey Harbor was new. Something attracted us to this funky area of beach frontage. The surf was not that good here, compared to other South Bay Beaches. But, it had a following. The Venice Beach area was always attractive to people that wanted to be off the beaten path and living in some unusual housing. These canals were man made and showed people of So Cal that California had similar canals of Venice, Italy.

“The Venice Canal Historic District is a district in the Venice section of Los Angeles, California. The district is noteworthy for its man-made canals built in 1905 by developer Abbot Kinney as part of his Venice of America plan. Kinney sought to recreate the appearance and feel of Venice, Italy, in Southern California.”

“By 1940, the remaining canals had fallen into disrepair, and the sidewalks were condemned by the city. The canal district remained in poor condition for more than 40 years, as numerous proposals to renovate the canals failed due to lack of funding, environmental concerns, and disputes as to who should bear the financial responsibility. The canals were finally renovated in 1992, with the canals being drained and new sidewalks and walls being built. The canals re-opened in 1993 and have become a desirable and expensive residential section of the city.”

“The residential district surrounding the remaining canals was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. However, in recent years, there has been extensive renovation work on many of the old houses, and many large, modern houses have been built."

"The water enters the canals through sea gates in the Marina Del Rey breakwater, and again in Washington Blvd. They open at low tide to drain most of the water and at high tide they are closed, trapping the water for about three days, before being refreshed again.”

“Kinney called it “Venice in America,” and set to work in 1905 to create a luxurious seaside resort that mirrored the famous gondola-navigated canals of Venice, Italy. Its purpose was twofold: to recreate the famous and unique Italian city, and to add his own American resort flair to the locale. For a while, his man-made canals were all the rage, with serene flower-lined shores and gondolas sailing under graceful, beautifully lit bridges–but alas, it wasn’t meant to last, and the spell was broken by the sudden influx of automobiles."

"Considered outdated and taking up precious road space, all but a few blocks of the canals were filled in and the remainder subsequently fell into disrepair. Eventually, they became perennial hotbeds for debate and discussion of much-needed urban renewal plans."

"Finally, after more than 40 years of being bogged down by political red tape, unsavory residents, and environmental concerns, the canals were finally resurrected to their previous quiet decadence, and are now once again a haven for those who can afford to live there."

"The canals provide a pleasant space, perfect for serene walks through dense, multi-layered landscapes, unusual and sometimes funky architecture, and during the right time of year, gaggles of baby ducks dutifully following their mothers through the shallow water of “The Other Venice.”

ABOUT THE CANALS
    Q. Can I rent a boat/canoe/paddleboard in the canals?
    A. The canals are a residential area and are not zoned for commercial activity such as boat rentals. You can bring in a boat from outside to the public boat launch; you might be able to find rental shops around the Venice Boardwalk (along with bikes, ocean kayaks, etc.), or just south of here in the marina.

Q. What kind of boat can I have in the canals?
    A. For starters, no motorized boats. Also, boats can be a maximum of 18 feet long, or a max of six feet wide; the combined length plus width can’t exceed 21 feet. Max draft: 2 feet; and max height above the water: 3.5 feet.

upload_2019-4-20_17-51-12.png

So, we come full circle to the present day hot rod cruising area and if it includes Venice Beach, please rethink that notion. Sure, it looks good on movies and TV, but so does internal surgery on those doctor’s shows. Recently, in November 2018, we drove down the coastal streets, bypassing the jammed inland 405 freeway, to see how the areas have changed since our teenage days.

In our teenage years, we used to drive right down to the beach front parking area and wander around the beach frontage. That was what a beachfront town was supposed to provide visitors, ambiance and a friendly place to have fun. (think Newport Beach or Laguna Beach) There were tons of cool hot rods, sedans, cruisers, etc. all over the place. Something was missing, but, for the locals, this place is funky, has fine art, social status, tons of mechanics/auto repair and attractions for visitors.

That November 2018 day, the streets were blocked and parking signs with $10/hour sign wavers beckoned anyone into a small, 6 car, concrete slabs for parking at $20 each. That did not look too inviting. There were unsavory looking characters and panhandlers hanging around, so from the other side of the front seats, the call (direct order) was to move on past this funky area.

Jnaki

Some drastic changes: There are more cars everywhere,(not hot rods and cruisers) the notoriety of the area has increased with “looky loos” and parking anywhere near the Venice Beach area is a board game, with your car and lives at stake. TV and movies have made this place, popular, but, not too friendly. The atmosphere was a total circus, so, it was not to our liking. Interesting? Perhaps for some, but it was not for us, nor 80% of the population.

But, everyone has their own way of looking at things. The old 1960-65 area was rather dark and foggy, setting the stage for a mysterious walk along the boardwalk or beachfront with the Santa Monica Pier just down the long beachfront. Today, it is “danger ranger…alert!”

Somehow, we cannot overlook the “cool attractions” provided by the Santa Monica Pier and its surroundings, including the Venice Beach Canals. After all, it is at the end of Route 66 on the West Coast. Be warned, though… if it is your “BAG,” then the boardwalk is waiting for your visit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  28. Anyone spotted anything cool lately? Virginia has some beautiful old Mansions. 1st pictured is Monticello. It's Thomas Jefferson's home in Charlottesville Va. The 2nd is Mt. Vernon, photo was taken from the Potomac river. It's the home of George Washington and, just across the river from D.C. Ron... [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    jnaki, Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  29. Here's a few photos I took of a tea pot, that I spotted on the peek of a roof. I thought it was kinda cool. I tried to zoom in on it with my cell phone. Sorry their not very clear.:) 20190415_133107.jpeg 20190418_145323.jpeg 20190509_192622.jpeg

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    pprather, Bowtie Coupe, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-5-26_3-23-6.png “NAPLES in Belmont Shore” Long Beach, CA
    “In 1903 Arthur Parson built the islands of Naples in the marshy Bixby Slough of the artificial Alamitos Bay, in the mouth of the San Gabriel River.”

“Parson's Naples Land Company called its plans the "Dreamland of Southern California", and projected that through the canals and under the high arching bridges, gondoliers will propel their crafts like those in the waters of the Adriatic under the blue skies of Italy. The project was completed in the 1920s, then rebuilt after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake.”

“Naples is a neighborhood of Long Beach, California. It is built on three islands located in Alamitos Bay. The islands are divided by canals which open into the bay. Most of the streets on the island have Italianate names. The center of Naples features a large fountain which serves as a popular meeting spot.”

Hello,

For as long as I can remember, this area of Belmont Shore was a pretty exclusive and somewhat isolated. Where else in California or the USA is a community built in 1903-1920 that included homes surrounding a navigable canal that connected to the bay and ocean? In our teenage years, we did row an 8 foot Sabot into the canals for some summer time fun. We also took an outboard-driven small boat on the canals, many years later. Both times, it was lots of fun seeing the homes and canals from a different perspective.
    upload_2019-5-26_3-26-33.png
    During the late teens and early 20s, a girl I dated, lived on The Toledo, a few houses from the Rivo Alto Canal. It was a fun 4 months into the hot, summer time activities. Anywhere I parked the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery or the 1958 Impala blended into the style of 1940s-50s homes. The almost daily routine was…go to the Alamitos Bay Peninsula beaches all day, swim in the bay, canals, and then before/ after dinner, walk around the main canal all around the unusual neighborhood. The before dinner walk always had to have a slobbering, lowered (California rake?), big, old Basset Hound walking around with us.
    upload_2019-5-26_3-27-35.png
    Jnaki

The overall atmosphere of the area is different than elsewhere. The hot summer nights had plenty of people taking strolls all around the canals and waterfront sidewalks. It was pretty nice and very open to creating a wonderful atmosphere for couples (or families). Businesses being what they are, brought a company that rents out an Italian type Gondolas for cruises in and around the canals. The tours come complete with a guy in a striped t-shirt guiding you or a couple during the day or night. It is most popular during the Holiday season with the homes decorated with colorful light displays. This business came after our time in Alamitos Bay and the Naples Canal days.
    upload_2019-5-26_3-28-15.png The Rivo Alto Canal heading West, to the Alamitos Bay waters and the Peninsula homes.

Latest news:
    "After another month of staging, work will start on the $15.7 million project. Phase 2 will include the walls of the bay entry to Rivo Alto Canal, which circles the center of Naples, and a section of the Corso Di Napoli. Phase 1 of the project was completed in spring 2015."

"The Naples seawalls create the canals that gave the area its name. Multi-million-dollar homes line the canals, with most including a boat dock. About 35 docks will be impacted by the repair project."

"The poor condition of the seawalls has been a concern for more than a quarter century. Construction began in the early 1900s and completed in the 1920s, with significant repairs after the 1933 earthquake, but there had been almost no significant work since."

"Land subsidence (sinking) caused by oil drilling and extraction caused significant damage to the seawalls, experts said. But that subsidence essentially stopped in the 1970s, when oil companies began injecting water back beneath the ocean floor to replace the oil."

upload_2019-5-26_3-34-50.png
    Seal Beach Pier top right… Belmont Shore Peninsula in lower middle area.

The only navigatable canal leading to a bay and ocean, within a residential neighborhood…So Cal.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-show-12-22-2017.1090359/page-3#post-12361634 Thanks, @LBCD

upload_2019-5-26_3-37-32.png

Narrow streets and lovely home with their own docks, fill Naples Island. Be careful when you drive there, or park. Walk the beautiful streets it is much more peaceful.
    upload_2019-5-26_3-36-53.png