Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-10 five speed behind a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cuzncletus, Apr 23, 2010.

1. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I want to put a T-5 five speed behind my Merc cranked 8BA. I have access to a couple of trannies. The first is supposedly out of an unknown year S-10 with a V6. The numbers are as follows:

532 in large block numbers inked on top of the case.

BW 13-52-066-981 R-2 cast in the case under the shift lever.

There's a tag with numbers arranged as below:

15627460 D1113

4352-92 122937

The aluminum bellhousing on this trans was cracked and heliarced back together. This has me a little worried but this trans is from an individual who had the same idea as me but never got it together.

The second is out of a 93 S10 V6. From what I've seen on the 'net these are better trans but have a Ford bolt pattern. Anyone out there with experience with this conversion?

Your experience will be appreciated.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Read the tech archive link in my signature line. Should keep you occupied for a bit and answer many questions - no doubt, you'll have more later though...

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

It sounds as though the bellhousing is made into the trans housing. If so, it's not a T5. On the T5 with Ford mounting pattern, there's a lot more stuff / info available for the T5 with GM pattern.

Bob

4. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

5. bellhousing does not matter condition since it won't be used with a Flathead.Search "T5 ultimate links" on here you'll find out all you need to know from "Flat Ernie".Most T5's used are from the late 80's 85-88' since they have a mechanical speedo cable provision,the 93' has electronic speedo control,pulse width modulated,so for it to work you need a conversion box,PATC sells em,they're not cheap though!.The 93' S10 trans is a World class trans which is stronger than the pre 91' Non-World class,but the non-world class should be fine behind a mild flatty.Cornhusker Rod and Custom is an Alliance vendor on the HAMB and they sell a complete conversion kit to mate a T5 behind a flathead,plus you get 10% off if you're an alliance member.