Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Stogy look’n good!
    In regards to the number as Chong said to Cheech when they were getting the low rider parked just right at the drive in movie “justa little more”
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    jakespeed63, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    As soon as this thing is a functioning road worthy tyrant. I’m going to ask the boss to spring for a fresh set of rears.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  3. Love those tyres!!! ;)

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sometimes I can’t tell if the problem is or isn’t spellcheck?

Stogy likes this.
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

$356.00e US currency. $26e more for 650x16. I want to stay with the 600s cause the cars I’ve seen with 650 seem to look too wide versus tall.

chryslerfan55, cactus1 and Stogy like this.
  6. Yes I looked into them for my Euro-styled tub! Kinda pricey! :eek:

Stogy likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Exactly why I went with 7.00-16 rather than 7.50-16
    The 7.50 are narrower and too tall looking in comparison

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That’s the opposite of what I thought about the Blockleys. They seem to get much wider for the 6.50s. Not so much for height improvement. I know the numbers and the specs appear to concur.

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You Shine...
    It's funny how things work out as I saw that 13c template way up while I was working on the artwork so yes have to bump it up a bit...I will get on that...

It is cool to clic on the thumbnail and the you can cycle through the 2 images and really see the chop effect...​

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@Stogy, the distance from the bottom edge of the belt line and the windows opening is 6”. The top of roof to inside is roughly 6” inch as well. The window opening towards the rear at its largest is 6” as well. It gets down to under 3 3/4” at the front before it begins to curve into the A pillar.
    Somehow I don’t think any of your awesome pics represent this accurately. I don’t know why though.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I try to capture the tolerances there is no method of measuring distance other than developing a comparison to the original pic and shear careful adjustment...there is some stretching/distortion of things...

You Fellas live and breath these Cars...you know them very well...I sure hope I don't provoke increased chop when it's not required...

I certainly understand how difficult it is to get it right...so I can decrease that height some more as I feel you find it not enough visually...I have to bump the 13c up a bit so I'll lower it at the same time...

The one other thing to keep in mind is you talked about keeping the windshield height to increase visuals in light of a heavy chop and that may effect chop perception...albiet the side 3/4 view has no windshield.

The 3/4 front view has not been additionally chopped since you mentioned 1/2" more either...with the additional 1/2 "off is the shield staying the same height?

I will try to distress the number a little while I'm at it too...

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fred Flintstone had The Great Gazoo...Shine's got Shocky...:D...he's handy for 2nd opinions and fetching tools and dropped nuts N' bolts...

Gotta have a chuckle every day...it's good for the heart...

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HB_B2_postV4.jpg

:rolleyes:...Upped Number/Class Referenced to Cardboard Template Outline Dropped Top down a wee bit more...again only a Visual Inspiration...but I will say again you have ALOT to look forward to as this will be a visually stunning Hotrod...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Me and Shocky love it! I don’t know if I’ll have enough under the hood to pull that off. Looks like it could go at least 150 on the Lakes.
    Thanks Steve.

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Awesome...That would be the Period MPH ballpark...;)...

I put the last image posted in the post below and if you click on the thumbnail you can cycle the 3 stages of changes to get a unique semi animated feel of the chop and other changes... again a most interesting glimpse fwd based on your current metal canvas...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ribute-to-gramps.983704/page-68#post-13261839

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My neighbors all may want to move with something as dangerous residing in such close proximity to their trugreen barriers protecting beige castles.

The only thing left is the easy part.
    Make it a reality.

slv63, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I can’t believe I never noticed the little guy in the photos til the last one lol

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a Furthur Lowering of the Lid...this included the Windshield, Bumped Up/Changed 13c and added Salt Lick Caped SuperShocky Mascot

I suppose I should explain the Turned Front Wheels...It's just a little Fishtail Action as it's broke loose just for a short reminder it's Going to be a Wild Ride...;)

HB_B2_postV6bc.jpg

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I’ve done the math and it’s going to cost at least $275 to make “Shocky”. A little extra to bring the creepy guy to life. Boy could he a be a spirit lifter to have clanking around the shop. Or would he walk rather softly and dampened?

slv63, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I'm confused. Are you thinking of painting scallops on the car? The weird streamer things get in the way of the look in my opinion. Scallops of any sort scream 1980's streetrod.

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well, @Stogy put those on there for artistic effect. They present motion onto the photoshop image. Notice that they stream off of or over the entire car. He calls them salt steam, probably cause the car is so damn HOT!
    I liked the first image he did this where you saw one above the drip rail and one above the belt line. It struck my curious mind and I thought about pulling the one next to the car by the frame up to below the hood side louvers reaching back into the door below the number. This would have meant six stripes in total.
    [​IMG]
    He never did a image like that but I thought it might be cool. I am not a fan of scallops usually but yes they have been applied long before the ugly 80s pastel rush. My concern is two fold. One I did not have this in my head when visualizing the bulk of this project. Two I’m concerned it would remove the remainder of 30s body style class or cancel out my thoughts that the car had seen some show circuit time. I told a friend the other day that with the stripes I would never want to drive it to a funeral or valet parking. Does this class concept resonate with you? I concede the number in the door pushes this boundary as well. Kinda like Al Czervik dressing in loud golf clothes on the greens of Judge Smails favorite country club.
    It’s all very complicated. I walk a fine line when dreaming of making old ladies flowers wilt and die as blast by yet receiving the key to the city in my finest brooks brothers seersucker suit while I gently rest my crochet mallet at the governors feet for inspiring such vast legions of the todays plastic youth. Mind you the the ones who did not wet themselves when Hubba Hubba blew out the remaining remnants of their imagination.
    I think the lead on these old Henry panels are getting to me

chryslerfan55, brEad and Stogy like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Agree on the lead part! Lol

I just think scallops take away from the body lines. You have put a ton of time into getting the look right why hide it with stuff it doesn't need? It's a hot rod, less is truly more!

Put scallops on a 78 pinto cause if you are driving one everyone is laughing at you anyway.

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Hey! I once bought a super clean old ladies base red Pinto after high high school for like $150. I put a 400sbc in it with a aluminum case glide I had laying around. I use to really be into sneaky street race stuff. I never got around to the cooling system, rear axle, suspension and drive shaft. I honestly don’t even remember what happened to it. I’m sure I pulled the engine and speed parts back out. It may have went to the crusher, too many beers, too many years.

chryslerfan55 and dumprat like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Berardini-Bros-1932-Ford-6.jpg

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...rd-404-jr-roadster-by-berardini-bros/681153#/

:rolleyes:...sorry they are anything but scallops more a form of Flames really and it's easy to relate them to salt or lake dust...

alot of the Hotrod world was bold and in your face...and drove from home to track loud as they were both visually and physically...

These are just art to provoke period thought...if it is incorporated I am honored...if not I am still honored but understand...but to be said it never was is an assumption...

I push those boundaries with history in mind...​

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    slv63, chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  25. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

My brother an I put "flames" like the roadster shown on his '38 in 1956.

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I may put them on there and have to pay Steve royalties. I definitely am thinking about it just don’t know yet. I mean the idea only came up a several days ago. I have a 50/50 feedback so far over it. In the end I’ll do what is best for the car to have the artistic imagery I require.
    Remember it has been evolving this whole time. It once was only supposed to be the old paint, 3.5” chop and half the amount of carbs. It is only a natural progression that it might windup with twice the paint job

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Berardinis Hotrod was running those in the early 50s so period wise too late but when were they or those similarly laid on racers...here's a great thread on them that still has some great material in it...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=20691

Again just playin the field and my intentions were to generate possibilities and interest...
    I'll let my dreamy Vintage Hotrod images rest for a bit...I do find the support for vintage themes very contentious at times and that's to bad because it is a place to embrace and appreciate them...

It's one thing to be an alien at a cruise night but it's really an eye opener when it's a site that reveres the past...

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You know black “salt steam” might look mean. I’m going to make the car look like a Henry Ford black paint is still under the 40s green/blue spray over. Then there is all the black parts like wheels, hood latches, lights, plus I’m worried the repairs to my trashed nickel windshield frame may warrant some rattle can black.

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine