Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hamb Period Hotrods/Customs and the Art...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Sep 8, 2019.

1. verde742

verde742

IMG_3452.jpg [​IMG] In the little town of Longview, Washington, a ' 32 channeled sedan came to town in the mid '50's from Idaho. It had a Studebaker 289 engine, then with a change of owner, A Chrysler hemi, then another change of owner, a small block Chevy.
    After about 40 yrs of that ownership, it was destroyed in a garage fire. and the remains became yard art.

It is in the larger picture above the other. Sadly, Its the only picture I have of it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Hank37, Ned Ludd, 1947knuck and 3 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    1947knuck likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is sad...are these the same Hotrod?...both awesome and similar but the newer looking Top pic the section is lesser and raising the deck may have been part of it's many mods over the years and that bottom look could easily have been early 60s mods including additional sectioning.​

4. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Yes, I told Eric about the mods I wanted, and his first sketch hit the nail on the head!
    And then Eli English hit it out of the park in a very short time.
    I'm a happy camper. Thanks guys!

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hank37, wcben and 1947knuck like this.
  6. verde742

verde742

I know they are NOT the same car,
    I do not believe top car is sectioned, only channeled, and rear fender wells raised, and fenders then bolted on, the panel between rear fenders HIDES the lower part of stock remainder of body.

As the story is retold, the person that did the work, also did two other sedans.. Never saw either of them tho.

I once saw the Longview car with the fenders and running boards off , (during a re-paint ) I personally would have never put fenders, running boards back on..

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My apologies...my reading interpretation is off today...:D...Sedans certainly make great Hotrods...and there certainly are visual similarities and perhaps that's what you were conveying is that one influenced the other...

8. verde742

verde742

no apology needed ???

Stogy likes this.
  9. My dream car as kid was the 55 Lincoln Futura. As much as I liked the batmobile. I wish that Barris hadn't destroyed it! Here's one of my models, and very old sketch I did of it. Ron.... 20170212_040840.jpg 20170212_040714.jpg 1242.jpg

10. ...rendering I did of my buddy's Chev...
    woodart 2019 477.jpg jalopyfest 9-7-19 059.jpg

The 39 guy, Hank37, 1947knuck and 5 others like this.
  11. verde742

verde742

Ron, BOTH the model, and the drawing, w / the model, are fantastic. A real butterface !!!
    would like to see MORE of your talent !!!!

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Da na na na na na na na na na na...Nah uh Sam...:D

You highlight the ultimate challenge of being an Artist/Designer...Making the Mark...Making the masses believe and appreciate...

Growing up with the fence dropping Crime Fighting Tech Machine...Wrecking...:confused:...I mean Destroying the Futura might be the wrong way to describe it...

It was a screaming success and still wows the crowds...

Those Designers and their Shops were destinations off the path of Dreamy Detroit which ya gotta admit the Detroit Prototyping Crowd were pretty good at giving The Jetsons a run for the money...

I'll bet it might have been more of a challenge for George as it was already wild.

He was obviously directed by Artists and Producers of the Series in pulling off the transition...

Great work Ron...;)

1947knuck and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Rusty your choice of canvas is unique and quite fitting to your style of Art...thanks for sharing these...;)

1947knuck and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gnichols, IronFord, hfh and 8 others like this.
  15. looks like an early version of Lil' Coffin.

16. A classic
    Concept drawing.jpg

Ed's

Side View.jpg

Mine

P1010440.JPG
    My sister's watercolor of my Willys
    file-37.jpeg
    PB280216.JPG

And my sister's PhotoShop class project
    GGG1.JPG GGG2.JPG GGG3.JPG

Hank37, wcben, 1947knuck and 7 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@willys36 you are absolutely correct and didn't I post the link to Kustomrama's story a page ago on the Lil Coffin and that very pic is within the Story...:eek:

@verde742 did you get that connection?...Dave started this Hotrod in the mid 50's and also took up employment at Darryl Starbird's shop...perhaps that's were the wild early 60s vision was realized...

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Dave_Stuckey's_Lil'_Coffin...

18. verde742

verde742

One never knows.......... darn it......

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone...your contributions are absolutely awesome and interesting...not to mention the other talents you possess in making these Hotrods/Customs and Racers become a reality...and we're just beginning...;)

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Teamwork Buddy...:D

21. Stogy,..thanks fer the comments, I really enjoy drawing on wood, also draw on paper,...I like the wood as they are all cleared with satin varnish and are ready to hang, are very durable....been drawing on wood for over 30 years.
    I really like this thread.

22. Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Hank37, wcben, 1947knuck and 8 others like this.
  23. Pict of my tub, more Art
    [​IMG]

hfh, Hank37, 1947knuck and 4 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

back in 2003 or so My buddy Guffey and Bill Hill bought this car. It had a display motor in it because the orig had blown up windowing the block in its hill climb race days (i think in the 60's) They had a short block built for it and brought me the car, the short block and every nut ,bolt and part they could find in Arts garage. Guffey was convinced I could put this thing together but I was skeptical. Dual Pierce arrow distributors, about a 10 disc clutch and drum assy. dual winfield carbs and a Rajo head were all things I had never messed with. I made a tagboard pattern of the bottom of the head, had a copper head gasket made and started putting it together, sifting through box after box of nuts, bolts and brackets I got her together. Static timed it and it actually scared the crap out of me it started so fast and easy. I swear it didn't turn over more than a half turn before it fired up. No elect starter, in with the parts was a cut off crank starter with a tag that read "drill motor starter for model T" I used a gear reduction 1 hp drill to fire it and it worked like a charm.....

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSCF6479.JPG

:rolleyes:...I'm pretty sure @The37Kid has a copy of this printed news for all things Racing and featured on it is the Calori Roadster

The Artist's name on the Calori Sketch above is I believe Chuck Moore who seems to have a connection to the Phil Remington Modified which also was a Dry Lakes racer at the time...which as evidenced by so many Artist's here they not only did Art they lived the lifestyle doing it...;)

Phil-remington-modified2.jpg

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Phil_Remington's_Modified

Jack-calori-roadster-racing.jpg

Go Jack Go!!!

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-jack-davis-roadster-the-jack-calori-roadster.494154/

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Jack_Calori's_1929_Ford

Credit to Artist, Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Hank37, wcben, 1947knuck and 4 others like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that is a heartwarming story about getting very up close and personal with History...You do highlight the fact that this stuff is all part of the big picture and depending on your location it may have been darn near on your doorstep...

That truly is a honor and so many of the survivors of the this Hotrod/Custom Scene carry this ionic history forward... getting to wrench and experience them puts it into a whole other league...Thanks for sharing that @Moriarity and glad the plan came together in a most memorable way...

Ron Funkhouser and Moriarity like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, it is always interesting to read of a cars history, and later restoration work. I twasn't all that long ago the car was auctioned off in Massachusetts, went through a few hands and is in Bill Smiths collection in Lincoln, Nebraska. I final got to see the car at the GNRS or LARS, great piece. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    chriseakin, Rocket88NZ, wcben and 3 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chriseakin, Hank37, 1947knuck and 4 others like this.