Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jack Davis Roadster - The Jack Calori Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71, Stogy and T-roaster like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Very, very cool photos, if only you could just step into them.

3. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I'm not generally one to criticize another man's ride or the customizing touches added to it, but that ugly thing tacked onto the bottom of the deuce shell at the front of the car, and the bizarre taillight treatment just don't work for me on any level.

Other than that, however, I really like the the version Davis built. I especially like the twin windscreens. That's a nice, sporty touch.

4. HELLMET

HELLMET

We are presuming jack davis started the roadster in 43-44 in the san diego area. He either sold it and it ended up in oakland thats where jack calori bought it while in the navy in 45 or so and turned it into the known el mirage record holder car it was.

5. HELLMET

HELLMET

We're still putting peices of the puzzle togeter as we get more info. Billy

6. 296ardun

296ardun

The neat thing about this site is the new stuff you learn, never knew about Jack Davis or that his car became the Calori roadster. I assumed that Herb Reneau (sp?) did the bodywork on the Calori roadster as he did the Calori '36 coupe. But the front license plate holder (which I do like) is on the Davis car before Calori got it, so I assumed wrong? Give both builders credit, Davis for starting it and Calori for making it a legend.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. HELLMET

HELLMET

Herb did do the body work but the front box was already there. Billy

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In my opinion, this is one the best 28/29 roadsters ever built. I've always loved this car.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  9. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

From the picture it does not seem to be the same Jack Davis, but the Jack Davis I knew seemed taller. Was the Race Car Header Designer for Hooker Headers, in the late 60's and early 70's when Hooker was in Ontario California on Brooks street. Could be another Jack Davis but the common interest could have made them the same.

10. I'll echo that! ... never a day passes that I don't learn something new from the Jalopy Journal, the HAMB and/or my fellow HAMBers!

Thanks Ryan & HELLMET for this Blog/thread ... I'm definitely "staying tuned" for more photos!

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the history lesson, didn't know that Jack Davis originally built the car. I look forward to see what more info you dig up on this car. Below is a photo of the car I bought from ebay in case you haven't seen it before Billy.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Stogy and T-roaster like this.
  12. HELLMET

HELLMET

no i have not. Thanks . Just to clairify the guy in the pics is jack calori. The only one thats not him is the one in the car turning on the road. And as it goes the guy my friend that got the pics from said it might be a guy named jack davis hes not 100% sure if he owned or started the car. He was from the sd area. Billy . Maybe my friend jerry from whom i got the pics from will chime in.

13. autobilly

autobilly

A very smart looking roadster, both before and after "JC" got it.

14. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

need to check the finger print on the photo

15. catdad49

catdad49

Amazing what a few changes can do to 'the look' of a car. Notice the trailer hitch in rearend photo? Keep kool,Cat

Stogy likes this.
  16. I sure do like the "History lessons", here on the HAMB.:D

17. hemifarris

hemifarris

"schmoozo" You've got me curious. What part of the '39 Ford tail lights in the lower deck panel do you find bizarre?

18. Great History Thanks!!

In the recent Bert Bloomquist articles Jay did there is a couple pics of the in progress Calori roadster
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This looks to be an engine shot of the Calori roadster
    [​IMG]

19. HELLMET

HELLMET

i dont think the bottom pic is his car. he allways ran eddie meyer heads. but you never know.

20. flamingokid

flamingokid

I would have moved the taillights lower,but otherwise I like the car.

21. McFly

McFly

Hey Billy, Whatever became of this pic from the other thread. Did you talk to the guys grandpa? Sure looks like the Calori roadster.

[​IMG]

22. Gaters

Gaters

Me too! Especially when you get to sit in the passenger seat.

Attached Files:

23. sololobo

sololobo

The photo of the roadster with the dude in his Navy uniform and the chick with her "still a little daring for the day" slacks and the great 40's hair doo. Priceless, with the tract housing in the background. Love it. ~Sololobo~

24. HELLMET

HELLMET

i think thats when jack calori bought it in oakland. That shot is at lees speed shop in oakland 1945 or so. Billy

25. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

This is interesting.
    I've loved this car since I first saw it.
    It's been very nice following Billys treads during the build up of the clone over the years.

Paul

26. fonti

fonti

another interesting story here on the HAMB - thanks!

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hellmet, Calori crew...cannot find your recent post and picture on the steering wheel and horn button quest.
    I think I have your hornbutton, or at least close enough given the fuzzy picture.
    It is from a '41 Ford Deluxe (in 1941, the Deluxe was equivalent to standard...the real thing was Super Deluxe) and is a central button made without a horn ring. As is, center is brown, but that is paint over the chrome so whole button will be lightly patina-d chrome with a quick swizzle in solvent.
    So...where's that pic?? Wanna see if I got it right, or can even tell from that.
    I believe all '41-8 wheels are the same basic core so it should go onto the Merc wheel.

28. re49

re49

I'm sure someody must have asked before-How do get your girlfriend in or out around those hot pipes?? Do you have to remove the pipes to work on the dash wiring?

29. Never heard the Name Davis shame had a good eye for the hotrods. Jacks 36 is my personal gold standard for any class of car ! Thanks for sharing the in sight as usual
    a great story with real facts to back the story up. Kudos to all

30. HELLMET

HELLMET

Bruce theres a post on the ford barn under early v8. Search my name hellmet. Or send me your e mail and ill send you the link. Billy