Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration It's December of 1952...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

It's December of 1952...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I actually just got home from the Oldsmobile dealership. Picked up a factory replacement 1952 Olds 303 motor. Hot Rod was sitting there in the mailbox, and now I get to pick out something from Santa? Man, 1952 has been a good year!

belair likes this.
  3. belair

belair

I'll take that crazy Rajo head.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I found the exact same vacuum in the automotive recyclers recent, so I am ok on that one,,,
    And since I have upgraded to the GMC 302, I have wait for next year's introduction for a Wayne's 12 Port

tractorguy likes this.

5. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Geez... 1952 already and I haven't even used my brand new H.A.M.B. 1951 calendar yet!

6. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I`ll just go out and work on my 52 Dodge today and pretend it`s 1952:)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I was only 3 months old in Dec. of '52, and since my Mom didn't read the Hot Rod Magazine to me I'm wondering who it is on the cover, and what did the car become?

I still live in the house that my parents built that we moved into in Dec. of '53. I just can't seem to get away.

Lynn

deucemac and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. Oh man, if I had some of those factory direct bar bells Jeff Norwell wouldn't be able to kick sand in my face anymore.

9. Christmas 1952, I was 5 days away from being born. I remember dad giving out cigars. And riding home from the hospital in his 49 Chevrolet fleetline.;) Ron...

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    jnaki likes this.
  10. This one is easy...I want a pair of Ardun heads and intake for my 59 AB in my '29 coupe. Next I want to remove the flat white house paint from that primo body and I need a gallon of Washinton blue enamel. Thanks, Santa.
    Ok ok...Santa knows I wasn't born 'till 1948 but I can dream.
    [Model A stuff is true but not 'till 1960]
    Actually, I already had my first car in late 1952... scan0004.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. SR100

SR100

I gotta know... What presents are always perfect (p.43)

12. thehazguy

thehazguy

I was 5 months and 1 day old when Christmas 1952 rolled in. Can't remember much from that time but I think I wanted a Red Rider "BB" gun. Then I became a motor head.

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jive-Bomber...

I wasn't old enough to drive then, but I'd sure 'nuf wanna ask Santa for one of those neato-torpedo, peachy keen "Hawaiian Contenental Tire Kits" that I could screw onto the trunk lid of my Dad's Maroon '49 Plymouth Special DeLuxe 2dr. Coupe while all of our relatives were inside having Christmas Dinner and surprise him the next morning when he came out to go to work !

Like the ad says: "You'd never be able to tell that there isn't a tire in there !" Only trouble is, I think Dad would be a little upset because it would cover-up the trunk handle and he couldn't get in there, unless the fake hubcap on the fake tire cover flipped open to give him access to the handle...it also would cover the center tail/stop light. BUT, we'd be stylin' never the less !

BTW: $24.95 doesn't sound like a lot of money for one of those today. But, in 1952, that would be about, maybe $225.00 of today's dollars...and the average guy was only making about $75.00 a week. So it would be better IF Santa really did bring it !!

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net
    [​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-23_4-53-20.png
    Hello,

In December of 1952, my dad had a 1952 4-door Buick Roadmaster sedan. He had just traded in his 49 black 4-door Buick Roadmaster for this new car. I would always go to the neighborhood liquor store with him in this new Buick. He would buy his 3 local newspapers and I would head over to the magazine rack to look at the comics and car mags. My dad did not like home deliveries and wished to buy them outright from the store. Plus, it was a place he could buy cigarettes and other adult beverages. The owners knew him by name and even knew me as I tagged along for the next several years.

The local, older hot rodders in the neighborhood had these colorful jackets. One in particular caught my eye, not for a club name, but for the actual color red and silver. I can’t remember the guys, but a lot of hot rodders wore these club type of jackets. They were the baseball style jacket with a soft collar and matching cuffs and bottom trim.

At the time, I was still in the furry collar, bomber jackets and had not graduated to the next level of jackets, yet.

Jnaki

Every time I saw those older guys in colorful jackets, I was envious. So, a few years later, I convinced my dad to buy me a similar, red baseball style jacket. I needed a jacket for the late afternoon junior high school baseball team practices. I knew he loved baseball and anything baseball would automatically be bought for his sports minded son. The bottom trim was pretty awesome as it kept the wind from crawling up your back.
    upload_2017-12-23_4-54-2.png upload_2017-12-23_4-54-16.png
    Belmont Shore Peninsula, 72nd Street @ Alamitos Bay Jetty:
    Entrance to the Alamitos Bay Marina and Harbor
    (after a day of body surfing and fishing at the jetty, this jacket kept me warm.)

Extra: Did I ever get a satin two tone car club jacket? Nope, I never joined any car club or hot rod club. The group I ran around with wore blue sweatshirts, white T's, nylon jackets and Levis. But, in 1960, we were given these very cool two-toned satin-type jackets when we were building our 671 SBC 40 Willys Gas Coupe.

EXCERPT FROM HAMB MARCH 2017:

upload_2017-12-23_5-11-15.png Thanks for the nice photo: Flatheadtommy.
    These Wynn’s Friction Proofing jackets were the only jackets we wore at the drags when we were racing. Otherwise, it was the standard blue nylon jacket, white t’s, levis and desert boots. They were very comfortable and warm. But, the nylon chest and arm construction did little to protect the driver from fire or explosions. It actually melts fast near a flame or raging fire.

Later on, I wore mine at all of the desert motorcycles race events that we entered. If I got lost in the 100 mile desert races, it was a great flag or eye catching design. Plus, if someone was taking photographs, that Wynn’s red/yellow jacket stood out quite well.
    Thanks for the memories, FT.

JNAKI, MAR 28, 2017EDITDELETE!REPORT!
    SHARE POST#40+ QUOTEREPLY

elgringo71 and kidcampbell71 like this.