Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lets see your neat vintage jackets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadtommy, Feb 19, 2017.

1. 0ldracer

0ldracer

My good friend Gene Altizer and Ed Iskenderian with Gene's 1963 NHRA NATIONALS ISKY Class Champion Jacket.
    Gene won A/Gas with his Anglia and was runner-up to George Montgomery in Middle Eliminator. These photos are from a few years ago....Ed said "Gene, I bet you can't fit in it anymore"
    Altizer-Isky2007-1.jpg Altizer-Isky2007-3.jpg !

Okie Pete, Kan Kustom, 61cad and 3 others like this.
  2. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Walking the Pomona swap meet several years ago, I found a vender wearing this jacket Andys Jacket.jpg and I bought it from her.

3. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

A few more from my collection IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0835.JPG IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG IMG_0832.JPG

4. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

This jacket was awarded to Chuck Arnold when he made the Champion 100 mile an hour club at the Indy 500 in 1959. That was quite an accomplishment at that time, because you had to average 100 miles an hour or more for the entire race and finish on the lead lap. He was a rookie that year and one of only a few to make that exclusive club. Scan 2.jpeg

5. Pete

Pete

Who... is.... that.... handsome young fella....

flatheadtommy likes this.
  6. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Flathead. Does the jacket with the name Dick Robbins happen to have a tag that says Indy Racing Apparel?

7. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I think it does.

8. Chief 64

Chief 64

I won this jacket in High School at Milan Dragway with my 64 GTO. I was having a blast that day and I had just done a huge burn out in the pits. Then I heard the guys next to us say here comes the owner. He walked right up to me, looked at my car, put his hand on my shoulder and said "son we are glad you are here racing today and having fun but you are going to have to abide by our rules. Now take your hub caps off!!!!" I apologized and went on to win my class. Looking back at pictures I was racing with not even a helmet! Hub caps were a no no but helmets not required. Man that was fun times!!!
    upload_2017-2-25_23-41-5.png

upload_2017-2-25_23-41-27.png

9. sport fury

sport fury

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-3-28_5-40-43.png
    Hey LM,

We won our class many times, but never got one of those red jackets from Lions. Trophies, yes, but never a cool jacket.

I think there was a conspiracy in handing those out to the class winners. At any rate, we certainly would have kept them. Unless, of course they were made of wool, then by now, they would have holes in them.

Jnaki
    upload_2017-3-28_5-42-38.png Nice Photo Flatheadtommy.
    These Wynn’s Friction Proofing jackets were the only jackets we wore at the drags when we were racing. Otherwise, it was the standard blue nylon jacket, white t’s, levis and desert boots. They were very comfortable and warm. But, the nylon chest and arm construction did little to protect the driver from fire or explosions. It actually melts fast near a flame or raging fire.

Later on, I wore mine at all of the desert motorcycles race events that we entered. If I got lost in the 100 mile desert races, it was a great flag or eye catching design. Plus, if someone was taking photographs, that Wynn’s red/yellow jacket stood out quite well.
    Thanks for the memories, FT.

Okie Pete and Kan Kustom like this.
  11. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

This is the official Indy photo of Chuck Arnold the year he intered the 100 mile an hour club IMG_0200.JPG Scan 2-1.jpeg

Okie Pete, Kan Kustom and Jonneville like this.
  12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW amazing jackets and history that goes with them . Thank you all for sharing. Only vintage jacket I have is my Dads FFA jacket from 56

Kan Kustom and flatheadtommy like this.
  13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it's old so maybe it will count
    [​IMG]

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-11_3-26-41.png
    upload_2017-7-11_3-27-1.png
    upload_2017-7-11_3-27-19.png
    Hello,

After walking around the Lions Dragstrip museum, I found several cool looking jackets. The biggest collection of jackets was in the Jack Chrisman corner with various, Howard Cam, and many different Lions Dragstrip, class champion jackets all along the wall.

The display was impressive for the jackets alone, but the rest of the display is drag racing history. Cook and Bedwell, Jack Chrisman, there was a lot of early history going on in that portion of the Lions museum.

Jnaki

Outside in the Cacklefest grounds, there were plenty of jackets and T Shirts. The Bivens and Fisher AA/FD had the neatest, large crew and family with their versions of drag racing history jackets and T shirts.