Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rod Powell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

very cool article Ryan thanks for bringing it to the masses....

3. Rod Powell is simply amazing, thanks Ryan - great read!

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Takes a genius like yourself to know one.

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Feel like I've actually met one of my heroes through those words. Thanks Ryan!

6. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

Wow! That was an eye opener this sleepy morning. I love stories like that! That man is a hero!

7. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

one of the best guys i know!

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Great interview!!!! I got to meet Rod at the Windfield show and it was a honor to meet him...Really good guy,,

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

RAD.....Rod Powell has been at the top of my HERO list for a LOOOOONG time.

Cool interview Ryan....

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

It's great that you didn't edit his replies. It showed why he's so well respected in our world. It's nice to see guy's who have become Icons that didn't forget how they got to that level, and aren't afraid to credit those who helped them get there! Rod is on my top 5 of want-to-meets in this hobby!

11. Plowboy

Plowboy

I too got to meet Rod at the Roundup this year. He seemed like a really genuinly nice guy. I really like to meet the custom guys from the old days. They are way more down to earth and are at the shows to have a good time....

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Wicked interview!!

I am greatly honored to have met and befriended a legend.
    He is the cat's meow.

13. Von Franco

Von Franco

Rod and I go way back.We have seen a lot and done a lot together, and I've have learned a lot from him.He is a true friend,thanks Ryan..................

14. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

Great reading. I spent part of my youth in his shop as well I have great memories of cruizing Main St and most of all Monterey Kar Kapades. Thank you so much for the great article and bringing back so many great memories!!!!!!

15. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

"
    Paint finishes today are so high tech they can make a traditional style car look cheap. Some of the high-end restorations that are being done today look completely off base because of the thick plastic look of the urethane paints. The soul or spirit of the original finish is missing. Kind of like a beautiful woman with too much makeup. "

Yes! Yes! Yes! You got that right!

Nice to meet you in print, Mr. Rod Powell. I really enjoyed this interview Ryan. Just like being there in person.
    Thanks for the great read!

16. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

its amazing how much i get out of this damn site!
    thanks for posting this

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Great stuff! Thanks
    I've always really liked his super clean looking designs, but never knew much about him.
    After reading this, he's my new hero - especially this part:
    "I believe our customizing on cars is an art form....I also feel that the restoration of significant cars should be supported in the same way. Not with the intention of winning a show or as an investment but as a piece of history that should be preserved."

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  18. Thanks for the great interview and the view into your world, Rod Powell. As you and I reach this point in life, we realize what a great time it was when we were young. Hope to meet you in person some day.
    Bob Nugent

19. kcgreaser

kcgreaser

rod is quite a guy. i never realized how fortunate i was to grow up in the monterey bay area until long after i left. Rod and Cole's influences have played a part in just about every car i've owned.

20. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

dont know him but love his flames!!

21. Great interview...have always been a fan of his...I have his flame painting techniques book...so much talent in that guy and seems to be really cool...

22. bear39

bear39

I met Rod at a Goodguys run years ago when my 39 chevy was in primer for some reason he talked me into painting it yellow

23. Great interview. It's good reading straight forward, honest responses and opinions from living legends like Rod Powell.
    Thanks Ryan and Rod.

24. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

jesus...

awesome

25. very inspiring!!!! Especially to a new striper!!

26. MilesM

MilesM

I am fortunate enough to own a car he painted, scalloped, and striped back in the early 80's and it has held up well and still looks killer.

He has also taken the time to PM back and answer questions about the car and it's history. I hope to meet him in person in the future.

27. Deadender60

Deadender60

WOW...

I kept waiting & looking for this interview... Great answers to great questions..

What could I say about my great buddy Rod... The first time I ever heard of him was off a pedal car from a neighbor, Johnny The Swapmeeter, had when I was really young. My brother and I saw the car candy painted, striped and signed by "Rod."
    My brother asked Johnny, "Is that a hot rod?"
    Johnny said, "No it's a custom"
    My brother said "But it says Rod on it."
    Johnny told him, "That's the guy who painted the car, Rod Powell."
    ... and I've never forgotten the name.

Living in Salinas, Rod Powell was THE guy... I never met him or even knew what he looked like until we started Deadend Magazine..

When we made our first t-shirts & posters I finally had a reason to introduce myself to Rod... I went to Cole Foster's shop to ask which shop was Rod's.. and Cole said "he's the last shop on the corner, just go in there.. he's probably working on something." So I walked in there and saw two older gentlemen... I didn't bother them, I wanted to ask, "which one of you is Rod?" but was embarrassed that being from Salinas and into cars I didn't know which one was Rod Powell... I was happy that I didn't have to ask.. to my amazement Rod, said "Hey I know you... you're Juan from Deadend Magazine!"

I was shocked, surprised and stoked that Rod knew who I was. I sat down talked to Rod for a couple of hours, looked through his photo albums while he striped a car. Ever since then Rod and I have become good friends.

I've had the pleasure of riding with him twice to the Lonestar Round-Up in his Chevy
    http://www.deadendmagazine.com/apr08_page31-32.html
    and have noticed how many people admire his work, even though he claims, "There's a guy like me in every town.."

Doubt it! Rod is one of a kind!

Glad you interviewed him Ryan

-Juan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I [​IMG] Rod

...we shared a cupcake on Congress together. :D

Oh yeah, and a 5 star blog for sure!

29. HRS

HRS

That is an awesome interview. I love hearing about the local history...thems is mys parts o da woods!

Nice to see Salinas is known for something other than being the lettuce bowl of the world....customs.

30. mikes51

mikes51

Excellent write up, thanks Ryan and Rod.