Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bill Pearce 1939 Ford Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 22, 2007.

1. Rikster

Rikster

A week or so ago I recieved an email from Duane. Het told me a story about a 40's built custom 1939 Ford convertible his grandfather owned.
    The car still excits today and is still in good shape... one of those WOW stories... so I thought I shared it here.

As told by Doane: (the new owner of the car)
    I have a 1939 ford convertible custom. It was built in the late 40's or early 50's. The car belonged to my grandfather. He bought the car in 1942. He grew up in La Puente, Ca. That is in southern California.
    The car is chopped, channeled , sectioned and it has a "Carson" top. It looks almost identical to Wayne Walkers 1939 ford.
    When my grandfather past away in 1999 the car was sold by my grandmother. I was heart broken that I couldn't have it.
    Ever since it was sold I thought about that car every day. That car was a bond between my grandfather and I. He talked about the car with me but, I never learned any history about the car.
    I just know it was built in the Los Angeles area. My grandfathers name is Bill Pearce.
    In July of 2006 I was browsing on e bay. I typed in hot rod and the first thing that popped up was my grandfather's car. It looked a lot different from when I saw it last. I almost skipped right by, but one of the pictures caught my eye. It was a picture of the engine. The engine is a flathead ford with early model sharp heads. It has air scoops off a Kris Kraft boat. (That is what people are telling me at least.) I had pictures of the car in my work truck. So I went and got them to compare them. The engine was identical down to the radiator hoses. So I made contact with the owner and bought the car the next day.

If anybody knows anything more about this great looking 39 Ford custom. Please let us know. Duane would love to find out who and when it was built.

The style of the car was very comon in the mid 40's. Art & Jerry built two nearly identical cars for them selves in the 40's. Incidently both of those cars are also still around.

Black and white photos are from the early/mid 50's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is how it looks today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  2. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

that is one good lookin car

3. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Awesome! Good thing you managed to recover it ... I can't imagine why Grandma would let such a car go. Hopefully now it can stay in your family for a long time.

4. Good for you in buying it back,looks great.

5. eric

eric

Sweet!!!!! a neat car from my hometown!! awesome feeling i bet to find your grandfathers old custom!!!!

6. A great story. You're a lucky man. Enjoy it for ALL it's worth!

7. Rikster

Rikster

hmmm now it looks like I own that great looking 39 Ford.... Unfortunately that is not the case.
    I'm just telling the story.
    DUANE from California owns this car. Bill Pearce was HIS grandfather.

Model T1 likes this.
  8. alleyoop

alleyoop

what has been done to the head lights they look diff. for some reason.Nice car grand dad new what he was doing,glad its back home . alley

9. Sorry Rikster, I was refering to the guy that bought it.

10. The car looks alot like a candy red one that I use to see around Burbank, It was built around the same time I think and in the same style.

CBB

11. Rikster

Rikster

This one...

[​IMG]

That is the Jerry Moffett 1939 Ford I mentioned in the text above.

That car was built in the mid 40's at the Art & Jerry Olive Hill Garage.
    very nice car... but not the same one.

1948 Hot Rod article about eh Art & Jerry convertibles

[​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Rikster rules. Beautiful automobiles.

13. Awesome black and whites, and today it still looks great. Rags

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, it looks like the previous owner did some tasteful work to the car for sure... The original personality is still there.

Is the new and rightful owner planning on taking it back to an earlier state? You can almost see the shine of pride in the guy's eyes over his chrome fender guards, no? They need to come back!

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It's a fabulous car that needs finish paint to bring it to life. Too bad the trimmer couldn't, wouldn't, didn't make the new top with hidden snaps under the thick roll around the back like all the original Carsons had on them.

16. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

My only critique would be the gas door and the bumpers. What a great car, and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

17. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

thats one nic elooking custom. I used to not like the 40's style customs for some reason or another. but as i mature i find my self being more into them then any thing. The style was so pure and things were kept simple. Simple is good.

18. This car is awesome! I love to hear stories such as this one. I am glad you got the car back.

19. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow Shuch A Good Story...

20. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I like how it has the elusive 1949 Plymouth rear station wagon bumper. Nice!
    Great story and good save.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. This the kind of stuff my dreams are built up on. As always: Rik´s posts are kustom quality.

22. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I would love to have such a good example of an early custom done right. I hope to have something like that some day.

23. sololobo

sololobo

What a great story and pix. Wow the car looks great in any stage. Love it now the primer is cool as well as the 49plymouth st. wagon bumper. Thanx for all the hip stuff, like the speed shop ad in the old Hot Rod page!! THANX!!!-Sololobo

24. that's the stuff dreams are made of.....getting a family car back after years and the fact it hasn't be basterdized!!! congrats...

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

very neat story and the fact that both cars still exist today is a bonus. Thanks for posting.

Frank

26. McKee

McKee

27. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Great story, thanks for sharing! Gotta get him to join!

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

AWESOME story. It's heartwarming when a car can find it way back to the "original" family. I sure hope Duane brings the car to Paso this weekend. Sure would love to see it in person.

As far as the snaps on the top, from the side the snaps make it look like a real folding top convert. Perhaps back in the day that was a high end feature to make the car's top look "real" and less like a Carson style lift off. Just an idea.

Thanks for sharing Rikster

29. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Great story and car! Your friend was very lucky.

30. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

That's one sweet ride. Please keep us informed of any updates.