Register now to get rid of these ads!

cars built from nothing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylerae40, Apr 1, 2010.

1. I looking for pics of cars made from parts- hot rod or whatever. As we all know finding a complete car for a rod is hard and or expensive so lets see what can be done with a cowl or odd pannels. I'm looking for inspiration for another project at the moment- I've collected a heap of odd panels from the bush near home and from swaps and am considering welding them all up together to make a body. The pannels are all diffrent. The cowl is nash? (free), doors are dodge ($5 pair), rear doors ($10 pair) and the rear section was free from the bush, dunno what make. anyway post ya pics, cheers guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. long island vic

long island vic

if thats what you have start welding....make it low and jump in...with all the trim line changes you can call it jacobs ladder

3. xsquiden

xsquiden

Good luck sir if you have the vision in your head and the determination you can build anything. I have enough parts but none of them have titles and the government b.s. around here isnt worth it to me yet so i wont build anything unless i know my time and money isnt wasted, so the stuff i build has a title before i start but i have some good ideas for the parts i have btw i have about 4 extra cowls but nebraska sucks to get a licensed vehicle unless you have a real title. Sorry im bitter but make sure you can license it before you put blood sweat and money in to it. Im a buzzkill prick i know:mad:
    later
    mike

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I started with this:

[​IMG]

And now I'm here:

[​IMG]

All I brought home from the woods was an empty cab with the hood panels. I picked up the Dog house and grill last year. I fabbed pretty much everything else.

5. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Can you find a pre smog titled frame that you can modify and put under your sheet metal? Then lic. what the frame is. If the frame numbers match the title it should work if I read the regs right.

6. Thats where it gets odd here in australia, (from what ive been told) australia has nothing as a title as such. If your lic a a built or rebuilt car whatever you frame year is becomes the year of the car or truck. As long as the frame you have has numbers on it and it isn't stolen you can lic it with whatever body you want (within reason). But if you put a 50's car body on a late model chassis it become a rebodied late model car so you have to meet all of the saftey, environmental and mechanical rules of that era. i think anyway:D

by the way what is a title exactly?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A title is nothing more than a state-issued certificate of ownership.

8. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

I'm about to build a rod out of a collection of bits.
    It'll be an A model styled woody using a 26 Nash cowl (cos the Nash is 6" or so wider)
    I'm using an 1988 Toyota Hilux dual cab chassis,
    so I'll have to comply with the Australian 1988 commercial vehicle requirements, but that's not much anyway, there's a bit more crud needed on cars than there is on utes.

9. Wow, that looks like fun. I always wanted to do a project like that.

10. J.P.West

J.P.West
    from Denmark

The Beginning of my 16 years old son`s first Hot Rod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

West

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Is that frame REALLY crooked? You might want to check that with him.

12. J.P.West

J.P.West
    from Denmark

Little later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    west

13. J.P.West

J.P.West
    from Denmark

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You might check out the Nash roadster Chris Casny built for inspiration. He's on the HAMB here

15. rustyhood

rustyhood

This is what I started with Jan.23rd 2010.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And here is where it's at today.[​IMG]. 1947 Ford Panel.
    I chopped it 4'' and I will be removing a 10'' section out of the length this weekend.

16. mtflat

mtflat

"cars built from nothing?"

Wouldn't that be..........

invisible?

hard to find in a parking lot?

radar defying?

Sorry, I'll go to work now.

17. Ice man

Ice man

Mine was built in the Islands (St Thomas) so I had make most of the stuff or severly alter it to make it work. Old Model A frame, 2001 AMC 2.5 banger/5sp, 65 Chevy front and rear axle, 55 F1 steering box, adapted to a 29 collum and wheel, many home made strut arms and supports that would have been purchased if I was up there at the time. Motor mounts were fabed from things laying around, tube cross members are old hand rails that were laying in the dirt. Adapting a Chevy front axle to a Ford suspension has gone through several trial and error changes and now in Florida, the old girl runs quite well. Still needs a few THINGS yet, but they will come soon enough.

Attached Files:

18. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

1933 ply 5 window body,1940 ford frame,chevy 327,chevy 350 turbo,1932 ford grill shell,1972 ford truck rad.

19. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

tjis started and a pile of cut up panels, its all the original oldsmobile truck parts (minus the grill), all the wood was cut out of it and it was choped but never finshed, i fit all the cab body panels in the back of my moms 90 suburan, but i peiced it back togeather, (if i cant find them ill up load pics from what i started with)

[​IMG]

20. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

5 sheets of .063 aluminum and approximately 400 feet of tubing....

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      526 KB
      Views:
  22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

23. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Retroridesbyrich! I LOVE that! I have wanted to build a single seater of some description also out of aluminum flatsheet. I think it would be great fun!
    How is it to drive?

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to do a single seat too, but as a hardtop.

25. Cars built from nothing...

There are people that start with a VIN/frame number tag and go from there.

There are people that start with a chassis or a body, and go from there.

I know a guy that started with four wheels he liked and built a car around the wheels.

But, no one starts out building a car from nothing.

26. adam401

adam401

[​IMG]

Model a front from literally 5 different cars, narrowed and sectioned and peaked grill shell of unknown origin, late 30's ford windshield, chevy rear quarters, different year chevy decklid, VW seat covered in old couch leather, 50's plymouth garnish moldings for door tops.

I had very little cash in my old ride but at the end of the day I had alot of time in a car that wasn't worth what it would be if I started with a real body. Good luck whatever you do, -Adam

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  27. I started with a 59A engine. Bought it home, looked at it and thought... what the hell am I gonna do with this. Found a VERY rough 28 A tudor body for good price, so scrounged up a chassis which turned out to be junk, scrounged up another. Almost every piece of this build has come from a different place, and it's slow going. Man I would have loved to have started with a complete roller A.

[​IMG]

28. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That is Sweet! Would love to see more on this one.

29. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER