Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Chevy 5 Window Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fast Eddie 27, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Turns out this is my first hot rod build, be gentle guys, I'm green! Had a customer with a Model A that I just loved so here we are.

Found this out on the Feather River in CA as it had been sitting for almost 50 years. The folks on the property had used it at their vacation home to make runs for lumber and the like. I intend on converting it into a somewhat proper hot rod. I was lucky as the metal is in great shape, and so is most of the wood. The floors are gone obviously but that's almost a given.

My first plan after the body is off and the stove bolt 6 is out is to convert the front end to a transverse spring and hairpin set up. do a mild 4 link in the rear....channel the body 8" or so and keep the top un chopped. Still on the fence for engine but definitely want to keep it bowtie. Please any advice or opinions are welcome.

I'll post photos in the comments
    Thanks!

2. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

3. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

oh, and will someone please tell me why Chevy seems to be the illegitimate bastard son of all of pre 50's hot rods? ;)

31chevymike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

Mostly because of the wood sub frames is my first thought. Takes a lot more to make one of these stable than it does a Ford of the same year. That's probably why more Fords survives than Chevy's.

If you have solid wood you are way ahead of the game.

5. Domesticsonly

Domesticsonly

She's a beauty! Looks like it is in fantastic shape. One question...why not keep the parallel leafs?

6. flatford39

flatford39

Also you can do a lot with an inline six like a 235 and have a really nice hot rod. If a V8 is where you are headed I would stay with a 283 / 327/ small block.

Nice looking coupe by the way.

7. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Thank you! Great question. To which I’m not 100% sure of the answer. First off, I want her nice and low, probably a bit lower than some of the folks on here would approve of lol. Secondly, I just really love the look of the transverse leaf setup !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Yes I’ve heard that. The wood in this car really is solid but it’s gonna need some serious stiffening even to just survive leaving its home it’s been sitting on its whole life...

9. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Yeah. Definitely am leaning towards a 327. As far as the 6 goes, yeah I realize the cool factor, but I just don’t think it’ll have the power I’m looking for. I wanna drive this car, hard.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that might be achievable regardless of spring orientation...the look well that's a different story...but why not exploit what it had going for it... @tb33anda3rd has a small block powered 33 Chevy with the parallel suspension still...not really as low as your thinking but I'm sure the frame can be notched, springs re-arched axle dropped, blocks...your call of course...

Have fun with it.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more thing...lots of competition in the traditional history of this Hotrod/Race involved Favour of those that weren't Ford...and they were a force so seriously consider your loyalty...

You may well be better off exploiting the brand power you have...nothing wrong with that either..

31chevymike likes this.
  12. Good looking Chevy to start with! Looks like you're well on your way for the tear down. Good luck with the build!

31chevymike, Latigo and Fast Eddie 27 like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

you could keep the parallel leaf springs all around, and a stovebolt, and not bother with the channel, and build a bitchin hot rod.

Covers-B.jpg

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice coupe.
    FYI
    My 1919 Dort is basically wood, skinned with metal and I do not have a top to help.
    It is bowtie V8 powered.
    I lowered it using a 4" 50's Chev pickup axle. It fit nicely with the stock Dort parallel springs. I used a Vega box for cross steering.
    Make sure you stiffen the frame rails as they will flex quite a bit and you will have some fun keeping it going straight down the road.......also mind your front and middle cross members to help stop the flexing.
    Good luck!.....keep us posted.
    ac 004a.jpg

AmishMike, 31chevymike, brEad and 7 others like this.
  15. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

I’m just on the fence I guess. I really like the look of the transverse leaf as well as the aggressive ride height.....is it sacrilege to swap it out from the Chevy set up?

31chevymike likes this.
  16. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Great point. My thoughts are to do just that..tho are you referring to the suspension up front? My loyalty is clear, I was just born a Chevy guy! Lol.

31chevymike and 50 customcoupe like this.
  17. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Cool ride! Thanks for the hints. I had planned on boxing in the front and rear sections and adding some sort of x frame in the middle.

31chevymike likes this.
  18. Squirrel gave you the best heads-up.
    Otherwise I smell some kind of belly scraping rat thing.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great buy Eddie. I'm also a first timer and you'll find that the guys here on the Hamb are here to help and support. Good luck with the build!

31chevymike likes this.
  20. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Night cap photos. Started to brace in the cab in preparation for removing it. This thing was sloppy! Much better now, I’m gonna add some lower perimeter bracing tomorrow and it should be stout enough to come off?? I may end up building a rolling stand for it as I’m crunched for space.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

That is extremely clean. And I agree. Extremely cool. I’m currently trying to locate that exact issue.

31chevymike, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I just posted it because it's a friend's car :)

if you can't find the issue, let me know, I might have it somewhere around here.

31chevymike, Fast Eddie 27 and Stogy like this.
  23. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Hey thanks sir....

Yes. Everyone’s been great here. I’m in over my head and loving every minute of it.

31chevymike and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. Fast Eddie 27

Fast Eddie 27

Oh thank you. Yes found it. $15.99 on their site.

31chevymike and X38 like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was referring to front, rear and beyond. By going smallblock you are bumping this build up to 1955+ as that was the first year for a Chev Smallblock with 1957 being a 283. there is absolutely nothing wrong with that of course.

You are new here welcome...I just want to let you know you have posted your build in the "The Traditional Hotrod Forum" and if you are going to build it like a Hotrod between 1955 to 1965 thats fine and encouraged...but if you deviate from Traditional "The Hokey Message Board" Forum is where you want your build to be.
    This is not to alarm just to let you know...

Here are some examples of Similar Era Chevy in varied types of Hotrod
    Just as others have posted to offer potential inspiration and direction...
    Again you have a really solid very cool start...have fun and we're in for the ride...;)

There are links below to where these were posted and you may find additional info or more to enjoy.

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-57#post-12488680

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-65#post-12591322

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-65#post-12595655

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-15#post-11367162

[​IMG]

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/32-chevy-302-gmc-6-done.258189/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ogenized-hotrods.1002926/page-9#post-11317188
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ogenized-hotrods.1002926/page-6#post-11314525

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

My very first hot rod was a 33 Chevy 3 window coupe. The termites had gotten to the wood.
    I replaced all of the wood with square tubing and channeled it down over the frame .
    I used a 324 Olds and hydro. Sorry no pictures but this was mid 60's.

31chevymike, AHotRod, dan31 and 2 others like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

The black roadster with GMC on the side, was built by the same guy as the gold coupe. It's also featured in the Rodders Journal issue.

....and I took that picture, at the drag strip...St Louis, 2013. :)

[​IMG]

28. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

I am also a fan of the parallel leaf springs on the front of the old Chevy cars/trucks (pre-35). My 34 coupe has a 6 inch dropped axel with reversed main leaves and it sits just above the scrub line. Also using a cross steer set up. Bought the axel many years ago from Butches Rod Shop, not sure he still has them. Drove it over 63k miles without any issues, pix is of car apart.

Attached Files:

31chevymike, brEad, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  29. Try and find a 261 1954-1962 Chevy 2 1/2 ton truck.

30. F&J

F&J

That copper 31 was driven solo across country over 10 years ago to the first Milltown Show in Palmer, Mass. That show was a huge hit, and brought out awesome cars & survivors in droves. As I recall... listening to the tons of people at that car that day, he was originally from out here, and had a brother that also had wild rods and was still here in the East? is that correct? ... Anyways, I overheard some of his local friends telling the story of why "he jumped in the Chevy and headed back home to visit"...but I won't post that here. At that time, he also had that stunning 32 Ford Cabriolet fenderless flattie.