Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Save of the day!!(single seater)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Mar 14, 2017.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

LOVE the photo shop version!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Rusty...Maybe do one more later when I have a bit of time. Your doin real time I'm in virtual ville...;)

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Stogy, thanks for the visual. I can see that my madness really will work!!!!!:)

Stogy likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I didnt have time to do squat today except get a ruff cut on the tank. IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2308.JPG IMG_2309.JPG

mctim64, Nova Thug, brEad and 6 others like this.
  5. Pete

Pete

I dig the headlight pod idea.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@rusty rocket a couple more modded pics to motivate creative thoughts. The shell was dropped more as it seemed to high...Could be photographic tricks...You are really moving along...;)
    Rusty_nextidL1.jpg

Rusty_nextidL2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    mctim64, Nova Thug, brad2v and 8 others like this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Right On Stogy, You are correct the shell is to high. Like I said all I had time for yesterday was to ruff cut it. I just wanted to see what it was going to look like. Im really liking the renderings. Shoot I feel like one of those big guy builder with my sketch so I can show everyone what direction we are going!:)

Stogy likes this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

At a glance, the lettering looks like "I'd-L-Doo", which I don't think you want!

My two cents would be
    "The It-L-Doo Special".

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty can call the shots on the slang word combo...I get the saying and I added the apostrophe in error, which I did edit out. I also dropped the Capitol script "I" to a small "i" due to it looking like a "T". Bit O Hee Haw Kinda Goin on thar Aye...:D...We's goin on inventin words and sayins. Wonder if Rusty's got a Straw Hat.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Peanut 1959 and Jet96 like this.
  10. Tractor restorers everywhere are gonna be pissed, no old tractor gas tanks gonna be safe now, :D

That's bitchin!

Outback, brad2v, BigO and 3 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tractor tanks and trunk lids always first to go...:p...hey what about fenders...:rolleyes:

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. I once built a scale model Roadster, using a 56 f100 hood cut in half for the body sides. Came out real nice, so anything like this, I get a real kick from. Tractor restorers, probably not so much, haha.

Stogy likes this.
  13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I'm digging the body work you are doing. I missed the threshing bee swap meet this year, was in the hospital. I never was too big on using T rails, maybe if you beefed them up and boxed them in. Stock they look like the 25 horsepower was all they could handle, have a whole frame leaning against the back of the garage if you need it.

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No Stogy I do not have a straw hat. If I do letter the idLdo it will be some nice flowing lettering on the cowl. I really dont think it matters how it is spelled.

Stogy likes this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I think the T frame will be plenty stout, this little build isnt going to weigh anything and if everything pans out I will be using a Stock Dodge flathead six so I dont think I have to worry about horsepower. My pops buddy says it is a T truck which he claims is the same size as a car but thicker rail material(Ive never heard this but Im not worried about it)

16. Andrew Mccann

Andrew Mccann
    from Bristol UK

T truck frame is longer than car. Same width which is probably the important bit.
    Loving your work here.

Stogy likes this.
  17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good sir.Was going to mention the nose height also but stogey beat me to it.Looks to me about 3" needs to come off,but what do I know.This do look like a lot of fun,so I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The picture was taken with just a ruff cut on the nose. I like to sneak up on my cuts. I can always take more off, I dont care for welding metal back on.

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2313.JPG IMG_2314.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2320.JPG Tonight after work I got my pan built for the tracknose to sit on, all welded and ruffed out.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  20. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

soooooooooo coool loving it .

21. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So this might be the motor choice from my pops old Dodge cube van. IMG_2281.JPG

sko_ford, 50fish, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

^^^^^ Can any on fill me in on what this motor is?^^^^^The Van is a 59 dodge. A buddy told me to measure the head, It is 23".

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@dumprat is pretty up on Dodge or Plymouth...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cheap-ass-34-pick-up.977559/

Thread by @Flat Six Fix
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/of-old-6-cylinder-engine-reliability.1000452/

then theres @MoparMontana who is with the Montana Dodge Boys racing outfit mind you their stuff is fast but much older.
    http://www.fastfourspecial.com/the-story.html

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Probably a 230:

"Most Dodge trucks dropped the flathead six after 1960, when it displaced 230 cubic inches. ..In its last civilian year, the Dodge truck 230 engine made 120 horsepower at 3,600 rpm, and 202 lb-ft of torque at a low 1,600 rpm; the compression ratio was 7.9:1. Features included exhaust-valve seat inserts and chrome-plated top piston rings."

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

There was also a "long-block six", that measured 25" at the head.

Stogy likes this.
  25. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks Blues, when I get time I will have to get down to pops and see if the damn thing still runs. I will also try and find the numbers on it and verify what it is.

26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Hell with 202 lb-ft of torque, a small tube race pipe and a couple small 1 bbl carbs and that thing would look and run great!

MostlyOldPartsAndRust likes this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Reportedly those engines respond very well to increased compression, seems to be the best bang for the buck performance upgrade. I'm sure a dual carb intake and split exhaust and a bit more cam wouldn't hurt, and would look & sound great.

28. 26Troadster

26Troadster

very cool build. subbed up and watching.

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Man I,d love to do all that but I am seeing how little money I can spend(all my other projects seem to snowball and I,m going to stick to my guns on this one). I will probably split the exhaust and if a duel carb manifold falls in may lap I,d sure use it.

Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  30. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That sir, is a slice of heaven!
    http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

Check out the numbers on the block to see what you have. I thought my 1949 was all stock unmolested virgin, found out someone crammed a 1937 218 in it.

But these really were a decent motor, think they came in cars/trucks to 1959?
    But they continued to make them up to the 1970's. they were used in airport tugs, industrial applications like generators and pumps, and sold in vehicles over seas beyond 59.
    They do have full pressurized oiling, and must have done something right, to keep making them for all those years.

4speed_mopars likes this.