Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator off drive shaft?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Jan 22, 2006.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Anyone here doing this? I am thinking seriously about doing this. I would love to be able to completly eliminate all accessories from my motor, since it will hang out there for the world to see. I know that obviously I will not be charging unless I am moving, but I do not live in an area that ever has any stand-still traffic. Curious if any of you have any input on doing this that I have not thought of?

2. I would think you'd have to shield it pretty well, anything that flew up off the road would be likely to take out the belt.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod

I thought about doing it on my T if I didn't have room between the rails for a low mounted one. I don't think there would be any problem at all, a battery shouldn't drain in the few minutes a car spends idleing.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

5. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

you could also ask "loudpedal" on here. he's got a drivshaft driven alt also.

6. Evilfordcoupe has his alternator mounted like that on his hemi coupe. Not sure if he tested it yet, he had Blower/engine issues to deal with when I asked about it. I'm considering it because I now have 6 94's and no room for my generator. I think if you do it an Optima battery would probably be a good choice to run with it.

7. FONZI

FONZI

Rouges RPU chassis at the Roadster show.

Attached Files:

8. Remember that the driveshaft revolves much slower than the crank so you will need a much larger (like twice the diameter) pulley on the driveshaft and a much smaller pulley on the alternator to maintain that spin speed.

A larger battery would be good to cope with the idle time. In daylight this will not be an issue but stop/start motoring at night with headlights on will very quickly run down a battery.

Also fit a spare belt (or two) over the driveshaft and tuck them away. That way if a belt breaks you can just bring the spare forward - otherwise it will be a major dismantling job to fit a new one.

9. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I guess the only thing I would bring up is the fact that it makes it harder to service if you have a problem, especially while you're on the road....think about having to remove it on the shoulder of the highway...that would suck....pretty cool idea though...more power to ya if you can make it work....

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've often wondered about these as well. I wouldn't be really worried about hitting any road debris--no more than I'd normally worry about that. Water puddles and rain would worry me; how well do they work when dripping wet?

The main thing would be idling for long periods of time, like when you go to a car show, parade, whatever.

As for spare belts around the driveshaft, they'd throw off the balance in a big way.
    -Brad

11. This just popped into my head... what about putting a turbine in your exhaust pipe and have it drive the alternator? I will thank you in advance for any Nobel Prize nominations this suggestion may generate.

12. I had these in a picture folder. I don't remember where I got them or what kind of car they were on.

Attached Files:

13. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Fine for show, somewhat impractical for a driver. Besides debris as mentioned alternators do not like to get soaking wet. Ford found that out the hard way when they usied them mounted way down low on Y Blocks.

14. i did it once , on a `30 ford roadster about 20 years ago. never had any problems. as soon as you started moving it would charge and never had the battery run down , but i didn't make it a habit to sit in one place , or drive in rain/snow. had a VERY heavy duty battery in it too..BTW , it would charge in forward OR reverse

15. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Thanks for the input guys. Running an Optima red top would be a must to make this work. Other wise I would simply eat batterys. As far as water goes, I have thought about this. Wowever I am installing this on a roadster that wil have an expanded metal floor. In other words, I'm not going to want to get ME all wet. So driving around in monsoon weather is not going to be an issue. Had not thought of the issue with having to change belts though. I suppose thats just the price you pay in order to have something out of the norm. Thats what rodding is all about though isn't it? Different, cool, impracticle, and sometimes uncomfortable?

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Step One; Define your Goal...

"I want to run an alternator, yet I want it 'hidden' from plain sight, not mounted in the traditional location on the engine."

Step Two; List any 'problems' with this scenario...

a. The alternator should turn at all times when the engine is running.
    b. RPM is a factor, too slow and it won't charge, too fast and KA-BLOOEY!
    c. Heat, moisture and road debris are considerations to be mindfull of.

Step Three; Put your Thinking Caps on and consider viable alternatives to mounting the alternator where everyone else does. Ask yourself how it can be driven off the engine, yet not be right up there where everyone can see it. Consider doing things differently than the norm...don't let 'how it's always been done' stand in your way...

IS there any other way???

CAN it be driven by...

;) :D :cool:

Oh...the bell just rang! Okay class, mull it over. Your assignment for tonight is to think about this and show me what you come up with when we meet again. I expect some clever and interesting ideas from you, so APPLY YOURSELVES!!

If you do real well, maybe I'll show you a really neat little trick!!:D

17. Shit fire to save matches! Eliminate everything you don't like the looks of. Maybe a billet that looks like a motor? Trailer it to shows. You'll win trophys!

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

wouldn't it be neat to use a motorcycle alt running off the flexplate? they can handle high revs and live in oil, you could build a little house for it on the opposite side from the starter.

19. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

what about using a chain instead of a belt - less likely to break and it'll look mean

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

most alternators are already set up to run belts, which would make it easier to install, but a chain might be cool...just dont get you fingers in it.

21. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

I have seen one using a rubber wheel to drive it off of the shaft. It was mounted on top of a 9inch center section.

22. Rusty

Rusty

Heres one. Just wont Charge to well when you are sitting still at a red light.

[​IMG]

23. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Where would one go about getting the pully to work off of the driveshaft? I know this setup is popular in the circle track arena... My alternator suppliers show some Ford 9" thirdmember kits, but have nothing for pullys.... :confused:

24. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Actually my alternator is driven off of the back of the crankshaft with a pulley between the crank and the flywheel…

25. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

you got a pic of that?

26. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Between? That is some creative thinking there! :)

27. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I suppose you could also mount it to the rear of the motor, and simply make it cog driven? Put a toothed cog inbetween the flywheel and alternator, and run it off the teeth on the flywheel.

28. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Not with me. Let me go see if I can borrow the Boss’ camera and I’ll post a few…

29. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

even better. now the ppl concerned about not charging at an idle can....... well... :rolleyes: :D

30. 30roadster

30roadster

I haven't been able to find it...but way back...maybe over a year ago... there was an ad in streetrodder for a waterpump with the alternator hidden behind the pump. That would be a great soultion. anyone see or have one of these units? I'd be really curious about them.