Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone put the frame under the rearend???? or suicided the rearend???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kikinrods, Jan 17, 2006.

1. i have noticed a few cars with the frame rails under the rearend. and wanted to know if anyone on here has done this or know of someone that has? if so how did it work? and how did you do it. i am looking to do it on my roundup car and wanted to make sure it would work before we screwed up and wasted all of our time and don't make it there. i don't care about ride or anything like that i am mainly concerned about safty. i would like to stay away from coilovers if i could. any suggestions would be great. the more pics you have the better so i can see what you are doing.
    thanks

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do a Google search on MG-TC there should be some good photos that pop up they ran an underslung rear. If I can find something in the literature I have leftover from the one I had I'll post it. :)

3. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

We did it a little over a year go on a sedan. We also ran the top two bars of the four bar backwards.We als run some torchion bars instead of springs. Her is a picture I have some more pics if you want to see them I will have to track them down. Scott

Attached Files:

4. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

the alternator running off the driveshaft? pretty neat.

5. yea that looks cool but your alternator is not charging when you are not moving.

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is one...from the HAMB i think

Attached Files:

7. sean72

sean72

This was at the California Hot Rod Reunion last year, I have no info on it. I couldn't take a clear pic of the entire car with the crowd gathered. I went back later and it was gone. Hope it helps.

Sean

Attached Files:

8. That chassis looks to be turned completely upsidedown from stock. Cool idea! I wonder if it rides ok?:cool:

9. I don't get it:confused: why do this? what am I missing here:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. dvlscoupe

dvlscoupe

I'm with Mutt I've been thinkin' about doing this with a frame I have but I don't see how it would function other than a mounting point.

11. Beemer

Beemer

I did it to the front end of my Model T. Front 1/3 is underslung and other 2/3 is Model A. I did it because it was a cheap way to get low and I already had the frames (the front of the Model A frame was toast). A drawing in an OLD Hot Rod magazine was the inspiration for my car.

Mine handles great. The front suspension moves nicely, I wish the rear worked as good. I did have to re-arch and change the order of the springs to make it work. Mine are re-arched so that they are pretty much flat when no tension is on them, and the main leaf is on top.

Definitely not a new idea...been around since the teens (American Underslung).

Attached Files:

12. Late model and asphalt modified oval track racers frequently run the rear frame rail under the rear axle. Most of the suspension systems are coil-over or torsion bar.

It works great and makes the frame more rigid and much easier to build and replace after a crash.

13. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

cause it be different!

14. fitzee

fitzee

This car was posted on here a while back,I saved the pic cause I liked how it sat.I have noticed that I`m seeing more and more of these setups,mostly up front but more and more rear end setup are showing up.The weight on the springs will work different and I wonder if the ride is better or worse then the stock location?

[​IMG]

15. 5window

5window

I agree. It's different(good). It's well done(good). Looks weird,looks unsafe and I don't like it(not so good.)

16. bob hindman

bob hindman

17. sinister13

sinister13

heres one...

Attached Files:

18. superbell

superbell

I like the car but the look on that fellers face kind of scares me.....Kid's GET INSIDE!

19. This is a cool idea, i'm sure if it's enginered correctly it wouldn't be unsafe...

20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

After seeing that little cream coloured modified, I've been thinking about it,

It's good to see some other pics!

Outback

21. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

how's that different than a generator or a GM one wire alt??

22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Usually when you stop at a traffic lights with one of these you don't turn the motor off.!! ;)

Oubtack

23. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

hehe... if they ain't chargin, why use up the bearings? :D

24. looks like he got you there! ;):D

25. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Morgan roadsters used an underslung rear end for decades. Probably still do but I haven't seen many of them lately.

26. not to steal my own thread but say you are sitting in traffic at night or in a drive through with your headlights on your fan going your radio going and what ever else you have in your car. Your battery is getting drained and your alternator can't charge because your driveshaft ain't movin'.:eek: then wow your battery is dieing and then what happens your fan slows down the motor heats up and then dies because there is no juice to power anything.:confused:

so an alternator mounted off of the drive shaft bad idea unless you want to sit and do burnouts at every stop or slow moving traffic.:cool: :D :rolleyes:

27. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

so, you're saying a generator or a gm one wire charges at idle? NO.

28. I agree with ya' ;) . It's safe and strong. Some folks just don't get it, and just when they think they have, they find out they're wrong :rolleyes: .

29. ok not to keep beating a dead horse but i don't know about a generator but i know my powermaster one wire alt. charges at idle after it is excited and never had one that was in working condition that didn't.

30. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

The sedan with the alternator on the driveline is a hot rod .It has no radio,electric fan or any extra crap. It dose have a big battery and the head light don't dim at stop lights.:not to confusing: Plus I love to do burnouts everyware I go.Thats what the 425 nailhead with the 3 two is for. Scott

Attached Files: