Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Default Just destroyed the crank sprocket on a brand new Cloyes timing set for SBC....

So I just got done installing a new Cloyes double roller timing set on a SBC. Something wasn't right so it came back apart....

.....This is what I found.

Any ideas?

PS. This isn't a bash on Cloyes. I've been using them for years and never had a problem till now, and will continue to use them if I can.....provided this doesn't happen again. I am more just interested in what went wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	1745734   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	583
Size:	466.0 KB
ID:	1745735  

Last edited by Hitchhiker; 09-20-2012 at 09:11 PM.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Madnomad
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Just destroyed the crank pulley on a brand new Cloyes timing set for SBC....

What did you use to install it?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Just destroyed the crank pulley on a brand new Cloyes timing set for SBC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madnomad View Post
What did you use to install it?
My hand? I had the whole thing assembled and running but the oil pan developed new leaks so I took things back apart to reseal EVERYTHING. It had only been around the block.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

That happens pulling them off with a two ear puller.
Did the same thing to a brand new gear.

Now you'll have a extra chain and a top gear. Ask me how I kniw

the hamb relay network
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=214
Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Vicky with a hemi View Post
That happens pulling them off with a two ear puller.
Did the same thing to a brand new gear.

Now you'll have a extra chain and a top gear. Ask me how I kniw
It happened before I took it off.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
It happened before I took it off.
Ooooohhhh!! That's not good.
Thank goodness for a leaky oil pan

the hamb relay network
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Waddayacare
BANNED

There appears to be a nick of some sorts at the area of the break. This is probably the start of it. Now I have to ask (not accuse).... Did you use a hammer when installing?

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

Hmmm, Cloyes makes some good stuff so I would suspect something was misaligned or the chain wasn't in the groove right or something. Not saying you did anything wrong, it just takes a bit of torque to pull teeth off like that.

I would call them tomorrow and run it by them. The problem now is that you are going to be wondering if the new one is ok hidden under the timing cover and it will bug you.

Don
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Vicky with a hemi View Post
Ooooohhhh!! That's not good.
Thank goodness for a leaky oil pan
I know! right!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
31Vicky with a hemi
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
Hmmm, Cloyes makes some good stuff so I would suspect something was misaligned or the chain wasn't in the groove right or something. Not saying you did anything wrong, it just takes a bit of torque to pull teeth off like that.

I would call them tomorrow and run it by them. The problem now is that you are going to be wondering if the new one is ok hidden under the timing cover and it will bug you.

Don
Yea, I have a cloyes on a new motor that hasn't been fired yet. I'm worried.

the hamb relay network
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

Did someone sneak into the box before you got to it, and beat on the sprocket with a hammer?

I have no clue what really happened. That's definitely odd. Is it possible something got stuck in the chain?

is there any evidence of wierdness on the chain, or the cam sprocket?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Don
Well, I am in contact with them and have sent them the pictures. I'm hoping it is just a isolated incident, as I want to continue using their products. Another thing is that this gear DOESN'T have USA stamped in it and it is a weird color compared to the 20 year old NOS Cloyes double roller timing set I have on the parts shelf and the replacement single roller I used on it IS stamped USA and similar in color to my NOS one. I wonder if the gear missed heat treatment? I'll have to get a picture up of the NOS one I have.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Did someone sneak into the box before you got to it, and beat on the sprocket with a hammer?

I have no clue what really happened. That's definitely odd. Is it possible something got stuck in the chain?

is there any evidence of wierdness on the chain, or the cam sprocket?
There isn't really any other apparent damage. I have wondered if someone replaced it with another then returned the part....but it has a Cloyes part number on it, just no USA stamp like I am use to.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

I think Jim might have a very good point. Any more parts stores take back stuff without checking it and put it back into inventory. You may have gotten a return that some neanderthal beat on with a hammer to make it go on.

All of us have been handed parts at the parts store with stuff missing and greasy fingerprints all over the box. I make them go back and give me one that is sealed when I catch that.

A while back I found a part hanging on a peghook at a store that had been returned damaged so I mentioned it to the store manager. He said thanks, but 3 weeks later when I went back for something else the same part was hanging in the same place ! So much for employees caring about their customers any more.

Don
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

here is the NOS set I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7114.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	1745782  
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddayacare View Post
There appears to be a nick of some sorts at the area of the break. This is probably the start of it. Now I have to ask (not accuse).... Did you use a hammer when installing?

[/IMG]
If I used a hammer I wouldn't be asking this.... It slid right on.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
MRTS33
Grenade Inspector

Look like it was hungry!!!

Really it looks like something got caught in chain and broke the teeth. Where did all the little dings in the gear come from? Whats the chain look like? You pulling the pan? Curiosity would get me
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I think Jim might have a very good point. Any more parts stores take back stuff without checking it and put it back into inventory. You may have gotten a return that some neanderthal beat on with a hammer to make it go on.

All of us have been handed parts at the parts store with stuff missing and greasy fingerprints all over the box. I make them go back and give me one that is sealed when I catch that.

A while back I found a part hanging on a peghook at a store that had been returned damaged so I mentioned it to the store manager. He said thanks, but 3 weeks later when I went back for something else the same part was hanging in the same place ! So much for employees caring about their customers any more.

Don
Hmmmm possible. I am the same way though....and the box was clean before I got it.....now it's a oily mess since I didn't clean it before I stuck it back in. ....but that is besides the point.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #19
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTS33 View Post
Look like it was hungry!!!

Really it looks like something got caught in chain and broke the teeth. Where did all the little dings in the gear come from? Whats the chain look like? You pulling the pan? Curiosity would get me
Hmmm good point. The little dings were in it when I got it. Pan comes off tomorrow....
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
squirrel
Old School HAMBer

I think I would have stopped when it slid right on, they're supposed to be a press fit, aren't they?