Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Comic Art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sounds like the hotel we stayed in Detroit this past Autorama. Hope you get all that family business settled. I've been periodically checking in on the comic art thread and I love it all!!! Those Zany Artists from the 50's!!

I love the "Hate + Speed" tag.....

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You really know how to paint a mental picture! I'm not sure I want to remember it though.:D My picture of you hovering will indeed be different than the others that read this.

We took a detour to Atlantic city on the way home from our honeymoon and selected a "lovely cheap" motel to save some cash. I know exactly what you are experiencing.

Thanks for the grins. Every post doesn't have to be so serious. I enjoyed today's post just as much as the rest.

4. Kind of the place where you wipe your feet on the way out...

eeeeek!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

5. silverdome

silverdome

That hotel story reminds of one that my wife, two year old son, mom, dad, little brother and I ended up in one late night in Tulsa going to visit grandma. Didn't get much sleep that night with the noise and hourly rate people in and out all night. If you know what I mean. Oh by the way the comic is pretty cool too.

6. I used to stay in hotels like that on a regular basis. Usually they only had one level and I rolled my bike inside. Slept the same pretty much as I did on the road, with my feet propped up on the bars and my back on the fender. I only checked in to get a shower and if I could find a quarter car wash I would shower there instead, wash my cloths at the same time. :D

Sleep light my friend, and come home safe.

Oh I dig hot rod comics too. They are just fun and give a lot of insight to the times.

7. Bodger45

Bodger45

Hope you brought your shower shoes..... .99cent flaps.

8. You should have called...I would have been happy to put you up, and we could have had a heart to heart chat.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've stayed at those type of hotels before.I didn't wat to test the sheets,so I was going to sleep on the comforter.I decided against that and grabbed one of my table covers from my gun show setup.The only time I took my socks off was to shower.I spotted a cockroach and made it a quick one.

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I feel your pain! I was in Lubbock this past weekend visiting the grandkids and we took them to.......you guessed it, Chucky Cheese! At least we had a nice motel. My son works at the Hampton Inn there. $150.00 room for $40.00. King suite no less. Its nice to take advantage of the kids once in a while. I also attended the Slaton Car show while there. I'll try to start a post with some pics.

11. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

Sounds similar to the Lemon Tree Motel in Pomona. Don't worry Ryan We'll keep a light on for you.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Best wishes on the family business. I'm dealing with some myself right now. At least I'm not hoverin'!

Get home safe

13. Don't judge the ATL by one skeevy hotel. Next time you are in town get ahold of The SFCC and we will put you up right.
    B.

14. Zerk

Zerk

The hourly rates should have tipped you off.

Reminds me of the joint in Smithville, N.J. where the Eastern European desk clerk REFUSED our request for more of their hanky-sized bath towels. No towels, no "sorry", just a great opportunity for a lot of goofing and flashbacks to the movies Hostel and Psycho.

15. You're looking, sleeping and shitting in the wrong places, Boss. Plenty of HAMBers in the Atlanta area, lots of good places to stay, grab a drink or check out a band, and more great restaurants per capita than Austin (and that's sayin' something!).

16. last time I went to Atlanta the 53 chev was overheating as soon as i hit the traffic
    still working on it today too , new used carb
    happy travels;)

17. autobilly

autobilly

Nothing wrong with today's post, these are kitchy cool daddyo!
    [​IMG]

18. Hahaha! I guess we've all stayed in some crappy dives with multi-legged 'guests'.....
    On my way home from Flat Top Bob's a week ago, I overnighted in Forest City Ark. Taped to the check in counter was a crude drawing of a funky mosquito with a warning not to leave your door open :confused:. Killed three big black and white striped blood suckers in my room soon as I got in bed :eek:
    Suck it up, Ryan.:rolleyes::D

Props to rbantique. I love hot rod comics---got a pile of my own and I love 'em:cool:

19. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Be glad you did not watch THIS movie on your last trip to the wrong side of town...
    thanks for the plug & space to document the art form. More often than not,the majority of early 1950's hot rod comics were recycled on paper drives or trashed. They never had the larger print runs as the popular superheroes of that period did. Being retired and realizing I'm on the way out of these Maine woods not into them, I figured this HAMB forum should be the caretaker of the how the early hot rodders were portrayed and exploited by the comic book publishers for the most part untill the comic code reversed the trend in the late 50s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014