Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it worth? WAYNE HEAD -- Wayne F Horning -- FISHER GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 11, 2010.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I know, I know, "not another WIW thread." So what, cool traditional hot rod parts are always fun to look at!

These parts are "available for purchase". Don't read that as "for sale". A friend has these and knows they're valuable but doesn't know what their worth. I want to buy them but since this is a friend I don't want to take advantage of the situation.

You can see that the valve cover with the FISHER-GMC logo has a complete head attached. There are a full set of valves installed, rockers in and adjusted, etc. It's been wrapped up and sealed away for at least 20 years. The valves, rockers and head surface is virgin. There is some "coloring" around the exhaust ports leading me to believe it's been run at some time, maybe machined since then?

The second item with the Wayne F. Horning logo is a valve cover and a complete set of roller rockers. Everything appears to be brand new, ready to install and run. No head with this one.

Like I said they're "available for purchase". I'm looking to buy these for myself, not sell them.

Since so few of these were made, is there a way to put a "fair" price on them? Thinking back I wish I had taken better pictures. I can next week if anyone is interested.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. You ask the folks over at Inliners Intl?

Wish I was in your shoes right now!

3. daddio211

daddio211

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would like to see the rockers. I had two Fisher/Hourning heads both cast by Charlie Baker. I made a set of roller rockers for one of them. The heads cast by Bill (California Bill) Fisher are worth much more than the Baker heads. The Hourning heads are all Iron I believe. I don't know what any of them are worth these days.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

can't be worth too much, Marshall has three or four of them laying around.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Rich, since there's interest I'll get more pictures in a few days. This is definitely an aluminum head (AL-YOU-MIN-E-UM for some hambers... LOL).

Good to know Paul. Should I offer him lunch at McDonalds? LMAO

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

a couple grand pretty easy... and that's the buddy price... more realistically approaching $5k on the open market.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

would this be going in your '27?

$5,000 is probably a good deal for all that, it all looks to be in very nice condition

9. daddio211

daddio211

That's kind of what I was thinking too... at least for the head/valves/rockers/valve cover.

The valve cover and valve train in the other pictures I was thinking the $750 to $1000 range.

What say you?

10. daddio211

daddio211

No, this would be going in a 48-54 GMC pickup for my dad. He's been diggin' blown Jimmy sixes recently! :cool:

11. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

I must respectfully disagree. Right now it is a slab of metal that is not being utilized. That means it is actually worth the price you would receive at a scrap yard.

There's nothing I love more than someone with a part that is unique that they are not using, and will not use, but will not sell it for less than a "fair" price; without knowing what a "fair" market price is. All that glitters is NOT gold. Tell him to let it keep collecting dust (oh, I must have meant value) by continuing to let it sit unused.

How many idiots have died while holding on to something they are just too attached to to let it go? Then their heirs sell it for scrap.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Maybe you didn't read the " I want to buy them but since this is a friend I don't want to take advantage of the situation." part. He's trying to be fair, all the guy has to do is put them up for sale a couple places and he'll soon find out how much they would go for in the real world. He wants to be fair to his friend not rip him off with some useless drivel like scrap price.

Reading comprehension is key.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BADBIRDCAGE...you respectfully disagree? Didn't sound overly respectful to me..."How many idiot's have died..."

And it sounds as though you're not quite versed on these Wayne heads, and just how rare and desirable they really are. A strong opinion without proper knowlege is useless. Keep in mind that if someone doesn't hang on to (save) this stuff, it'll become non-existant.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

That is beautiful. :)

That should be a Sig Line...

16. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for all of your input. I knew these parts were something special, and I really need to educate myself more on them. When something unique falls into your lap you always hope you're ready to pull the trigger!

And after all the beating you've taken, please remind me not to sell something to you. :rolleyes: As pointed out, these belong to a friend who I'd rather OVER pay than under pay. I'm just that kind of a guy I guess.

17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'd say $5k is a reasonable price to pay, but like Rich said - you'd need to see the rockers.
    You are certainly in a difficult place - wanting to buy this unique setup, without "cheating" your friend out of a reasonable return for the parts.

Good luck with the purchase.

What mill have you got for it?

18. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

Daddio:

Cool. It is only money and you can always make more. How you spend it is your decision. I never said you couldn't make a deal. I said when someone has something they don't know how to price there is no deal to be made. You are correct in that you don't screw your friends. In turn; your friends don't screw you either. BTW a real friend would give you that thing they have no use for and feel great just to see it being used.

Rickybop:

OOOH: a rare and desirable part. It is for a six cylinder engine. If it doesn't have eight it can't be great.

You are correct in that I do have strong opinions. This is not the first time I have advised someone that a piece of metal lying unused and taking up space in a garage is worth scrap value. And yes; I have taken shit for that opinion before.

I am quite versed on specialty equipment. I grew up in an automotive machine shop and spent 15 years with crankshafts, cylinder heads, connecting rods and engine blocks performing machining operations on all of the above in both stock and performance applications. I still remember stroking a big block Ford crankshaft 5/8 of an inch for Wally Lynn so he could build a "mountain motor" for his dragster back in the late 60's.

Being in the Corvette hobby I am used to the date dicks and number weenies thinking that everything with special numbers on it is worth a fortune. It ISN'T, period.

If you or anyone else believes that a certain part is worth lots of money and you want it that bad then go buy it.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So working in a machine shop and "being in the Corvette hobby" made you knowlegeable about antique race-parts and economics?

20. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks, I'll post some pics in a few days. No mill yet, but knowing my dad I'm suspecting it'll be a built 302.

I didn't say he had no use for it, the guy owns one of the best machine shops in the US and he knows exactly what he has. That said, Chevy sixes don't do much for him. He builds everything from 1200 hp twin turbo small blocks (4 wheel drive drag racing) to 600+ cubic inch monsters for off-shore racers. He's also kind enough to coach me through building a mild small block for my wife's '48 Chevy 5 window peek-up. Thank you for chiming in, I DID ask for opinions didn't I?

21. Fenders

Fenders

"These parts are "available for purchase". Don't read that as "for sale". A friend has these and knows they're valuable but doesn't know what their worth. I want to buy them but since this is a friend I don't want to take advantage of the situation."

Sorry, I agree with birdcage...
    People who have something the "know is valueable" but don't know what their worth tend to overvalue them... offer $5000 and they will think you are out to screw them, they will keep on looking for a higher offer... 7K, 10K, 12K... everyone wants to steal them....

Tell the owner to look it up, get offers, and then give YOU a price.

22. daddio211

daddio211

This is a PERSONAL FRIEND. I could offer him $500 and he'd probably take it, knowing damn well what their worth.

I think you and birdcage missed the point.

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

5 grand,10-15 grand,why not more? that head will become a piece of art for a collector.
    It needs to be correctly prepped and put on a GMC engine to actually drive.

24. daddio211

daddio211

I'm a firm believer that car parts were made to be used. It'd look a lot better under a closed hood than on a museum shelf IMHO. :)

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Do you have the cam for it? You do know the Horning head requires a billet cam with different lobe locations due to the new port sequence.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Oh yeah Rich, I forgot about the cam! There's a Sig Erson Cam in a box that goes with this. A few other "specialty items" for the six as well.

27. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Any manifolds and/or headers for it? Before I'd lay out big $$$ for any 12 port head, I'd have it checked over good for cracks; almost all of the half dozen I've seen over the years had either been cracked and repaired, or needed crack repair. Not knocking your friend---he might have a cracked head and not know it.

28. BADBIRDCAGE

BADBIRDCAGE
    from Virginia

Daddio:

"He knows exactly what he has." Then he knows exactly what it is worth and should put a price on it if he actually wants to market it. Chevy sixes don't do much for me either on the performance end. They DO, however, make great engines for years and years of good service in stock form.

Yes you DID ask for an opinion. You don't like mine and that's OK. This is a great country. We don't have to agree and we are still not enemies. And no, I would not be afraid to purchase something from you. We would only have to agree on a price.

Rickybop:

Yes it does.

29. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

If ya buy them i have a complete fresh ( new) 302 with new Venolia pistons .040 etc , i would sell . Good head , nos rods etc.....Been ran onec ina friends belly tanker , started it and never drove it.....????????

30. 41woodie

41woodie

While I would love to have something like that to play with the only Wayne headed car I've been around was a really nice 37 Chevy coupe that has been bought and sold a couple of times here in Oklahoma over the last few years. From what I was told it was really difficult to tune it into a streetable configuration and wasn't much fun to drive in a non-racing mode. Might be something you want to consider before buying.