Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it worth? WAYNE HEAD -- Wayne F Horning -- FISHER GMC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 11, 2010.

1. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey, oldcarkook, here is what I dont understand: St George UT looks to be about 50,000 population. Only one guy there has a ton of 12 port stuff. I seriously doubt if anyone else has even one 12 port part, much less a complete head.

I cant understand how something could have been stolen in a town that size and the cops (nobody actually) can figure out where it is for 20 years? then it pops up on ebay and everyone realizes its Zekes long lost stuff?? HUH?

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

So.........after reading thru this post and the "stories"......did your machine shop friend "steal" it or you? I have no clue who you are......just an internet name......so I'm not calling you out, but from the beginning it sounded like a "Marcus" post.

3. There is a set of Ardun heads out here with the same backstory. I am still looking for them!

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Where did the 20 year deal come from? I don't think Zeke has lived in St. George for 20 years.

5. 6inarow

6inarow

post number one leads a guy to believe that the "owner" had it packed away and sealed up for 20 years. at least thats how I read it.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That is assuming post #1 is accurate. Which seems to be at the core of the question

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

daddio, big balls man. Tell it like it is and do the right thing. They may be rare and desireable parts but nothing's worth the kind of trouble that may brew in this deal until it's all sorted out. Hopefully it's a happy ending.

And the Ronald Reagan gig, I don't know how he said it but the one similar quote I like to remember:

"Integrity shows when nobody's looking." Good luck and thanks for sharing the story and parts pics.

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Sodbuster;

WTH is a "Marcus" post?????

TIA.

Marcus...

9. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

So Zeke won't deal with you because he thinks you stole from him and now the parts that you're trying to sell are actually stolen from Zeke....that's a hell of a coincendence.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hahahaha....

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

"Marcus" is a guy back in the day who used to sell a bunch of Caddy speed parts and other "rare" parts........that were a "borrow from Peter to pay Paul" type of post........and then finally his stuff caught up with him and he pretty much disappeared.

Oh yea, and his username was: Marcus

So, after reading all this drama and a thief post......I thought of him.......Hmmm.....maybe he moved to Utah?

12. Chris....Marcus is back with us again...he's kept outta trouble and has some nice stuff. Been a good boy so far.

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Sodbuster;

I figured there'd be a good story there.

Thanks for the info.

& which pretty much explains why that handle isn't avail to me... :D .

Marcus...

14. Road Runner

Road Runner

So how is he doing now?
    Is the return of his goods, going to make him feel any better?
    Anybody got news on his well-being, instead of all the drama of 'I can't buy this now' ?

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I don't know - all I know is that he is not well.

It seems that through all of this - justice has been done, and that the goods that were stolen will return to their rightful owner.

Innocence is presumed, until proven otherwise.

16. daddio211

daddio211

The 20 year deal was a misunderstanding on MY part, and yes, was my comment from the beginning. I take full responsibility for it. As many locals around here have been piecing this together we're all convinced that this is indeed Zeke's stuff and are pressing for it to be returned to him.

You got it. Where's the "I feel like a total douche bag" smiley? Like I mentioned above, many locals have helped piece this together and we're quite confident we know exactly what happened. A confession of the person who stole the equipment would cement everything... if that happens.

Again, I apologize to those who I let down or even felt I mislead them. A few were pissed that I would even consider selling the equipment on eBay and voiced their opinions. So be it. Except oldcarkook. I hope he still thinks I'm an asshole. :cool:

17. daddio211, that "friend", who was trying to sell you the parts, and then instead had you try and sell them, sure isn't much of a friend, if he knew they were stolen.:eek: Hopefully this all works out, and the original owner gets the parts back, and the thief gets a "whipping" like he deserves. I wonder how many, long ago stolen parts, have turned up on E-Bay, only to find people have long memories, especially regarding rare parts? When I was still involved in drag racing, we heard of a KB Hemi for sale, at a too low to believe price, and yes it was stolen. At that time Keith Black's shop, estimated they only had a customer base of 300, worldwide, so it didn't take long to figure out where the engine belonged to, the rare performance parts community is very small too. Thanks to you, if you've made it possible to get these back to where they belong. Maybe Zeke thought you were involved originally, because you seem to know the involved parties. Hopefully if Zeke gets his parts back, he'll have his faith in you restored.

18. robleticia

robleticia

daddio, you did the right thing! Good for you bro!

Still wish we could of got to see them on your Dad's truck though!

19. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

daddio - any update on this? Do the parts go back into obscurity in Zeke's basement never to motor down the roadway again? Nothing like a 12 port topping an old 302 to get your blood pumping. . . I hope this one gets put to use by someone.

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I ran on Zeks Bonneville record some time ago. And I have seen his GMC powered street roadster on the salt plenty of times. I'd call that using his parts.

21. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Wow, quite a story, glad to see a resolution. I am finally getting caught up with the HAMB, too many salt days this year. I should be mowing the lawn but waiting for the rain - gotta burn rubber back to the salt tomorrow for the World Finals event.

I would like to comment on:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497448&highlight=wayne+head

This actually a WMD head, stamping on head. WMD was Western Metal Design, Wayne Horning, Jim Bolger and my dad, Harry Warner. Three friends who worked at Lockheed Burbank during the war. After hostilies they designed this 12 port head, very rare, for the Chevy six. They were roadster racing at the time. This is a long story, it can be read on the Inlines International site. Anyway, my dad and Wayne Horning went into business, Jim moved on to other things. The company became Wayne Mfg. Following the split between Wayne and my dad, our family retained the Wayne Mfg. name and business. Wayne went on to form his own company and became partners with 'California Bill' Fisher. Bill became the publisher of HP Books, a respected line of performance manuals and other titles.

See you all when I return from Utah next week,
    DW

22. daddio211

daddio211

Zeke is a 12 port NUT and these are in very capable hands. Will it see action again in his ownership? I really don't know. From what Stovebolt has told us about him not being well I wouldn't expect it. I don't think his Bonneville car (genuine '32 roadster with a GMC six) has been on the salt in 15 years.

The man is certainly capable of building, tuning and driving. I do hope whatever he's dealing with medically that he gets better.

Great info Dan, nice to have a celebrity among us! ;)

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I am sure it is much less than 15 years since Zeke ran his roadster. He gave it up when his rool bar wouldn't pass tech anymore. And I'm pretty sure he has made it to the drags since then.

24. daddio211

daddio211

Could be, I don't think he's run since I've known him and that's probably been 6 or 7 years. I know he's crewed many times for friends since then though. Rich, can you add any more info?

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He was running a 12 port when I met him in '78.

26. 6inarow

6inarow

I first met Zeke at the Flathead - Inliner Drags in Denver a long time ago. He was a card then and still is. I dont know him well but he always treated me well and I like speaking with him.

I spoke with Zeke a couple times this week and he wanted me to relay some info to shed some light on this 12 port thing. This comes straight from Zeke. Daddio211 never did stop by Zekes place and never did try to speak with Zeke. So this notion of Zeke refusing to answer the door is complete BS. In May of '09 Zekes parts are in police photos inside a storage facility of a friend of daddio211. Thats how they got identified was from these police photos. Zeke was telling me that there are a total of 7 people involved with the theft of these parts, and one "friend" of daddio211 is in the can presently. Zeke ultimately found the head and related parts in a mutual friends machine shop, the cops were called and the parts were taken by the cops as evidence. The parts had been transported between storage, machine shop etc, and by the time they hit the friends machine shop the cops impounded them. Zeke told me the stuff is still in police custody today. Zeke told me there are 7 people involved and it looks like 6 of them are going to throw the guy that is currently in prison under the bus.

I feel sorry for Zeke. Our inliner community is really small and almost everyone who is very much involved quickly knows where this 12 port stuff is and who owns it. he is feeling better - he said the cancer survivor thing is tough (his words were that it is a real M.F.) but he said it beats the alternative. He also thought that Daddio211 might want to take a long vacation similar to Marcus's vacation after his involvement with "friends" 12 port stuff.

Zeke does not have the internet and is not a HAMBer but he follows along occasionally at friends. He just wanted to post an update because the HAMB community had so much interest in this story and finding out what happened to it. I said I would gladly post up his message.

27. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Wow, Very Interesting......

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  28. Thanks for shedding some light on this Tom. BTW, I will be back there for Turkeyday

29. daddio211

daddio211

I've been NOTHING but 100% honest. Read it as you like, I can't change your mind. There's a lot of people here who know me personally who know my side of this story is completely factual, and know that I'd never be involved with anything illegal or unethical. Draw your conclusions as you wish.

I did indeed stop by Zeke's house. I could see him (or his wife) through the screen door sitting in a chair watching the NASCAR race. I could clearly hear the race, could not see it from the front door. I said, "Hello" several times and received nothing back. Did I really see someone? Well, that "someone" who didn't respond to me (although I was standing at their 2 o'clock position and they could certainly hear me) did manage to pick up the remote during the commercial and flip through other channels. I stood there for about 5 minutes.

The person who is incarcerated (on unrelated charges, although it is stealing) has an interesting story, but I won't share it here, as it's not my story to tell. I only know because he wrote a letter to the machine shop owner stating how he came about them. Again, not my story to tell.

Vacation huh? I've done nothing wrong and I have nothing to hide. If you look back through the thread I am the one who broke the bad news, admittedly very embarrassing to me. Nobody "called me" on this stuff, nobody else did investigative work. It was ME who shared what happened, warts and all. Feel free to look through my other posts and see if you think I'm offering help, assistance, sound advice. See if you can find something unethical in my behavior... please!

I've taken a beating on this, but this thread is STILL open, right? I've left it open because I have nothing to hide and I think we'd all like to see a happy ending to this story.

Another attempt to discredit/slander me I suppose. :rolleyes: Matters little to me as there are so many keyboard cowboys around here we should have a rodeo. The few who do contribute positively (of whom I attempt to be one) make wading through the bullshit worth it.