Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration In (Faint) Praise of Fake Stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Nov 10, 2009.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As my '56 Ford has evolved, I have occasionally reflected on the modifications I chose to make, and am mildly chagrined by some of them. Many (most?) of them suggest that this is some kind of high-performance car, when in fact it's pretty much a slug. Hood scoop, four pipes, wire-looking wheels, bucket seats, egg crate grille, knockoffs yet to come -- what is this, boy, some sorta Fee-arri?

[​IMG]
    concreteman photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, I didn't make all of this up, and I'm not by any means the first guy to decorate his Kustom with a bunch of wannabe crap. I think that Buick, on the '53 Skylark (a car that I REALLY like), set the bar for racy looking trinkets on a car that could barely get out of its own way.

I have my standards, of course. No blower scoop, fake Appletons, or tacky lakes pipes for me, 'cause they're so OBVIOUSLY fake. Nossir, only authentically fake stuff for me.

Maybe I'm the only guy in the world for whom some fake stuff is OK, and other stuff is not -- but I kinda doubt it. I can't use the excuse that my teenage buddies approved of this but not that, because I'm even using stuff that I wouldn't have used myself fifty years ago (split tailpipes, for instance). But I do seem to have some kind of internal censor that separates the acceptably fake from the NoWay fake.

I'm a believer in false teeth and fake tits, but I would never wear a wig. What is perhaps worse is that I am unapologetic for any of this, and I have no intention of switching to a more consistent ethical standard. Why is that? Anybody out there understand this better than I do?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

One of the most beautiful fake 56's I've seen.
    A real stunner.
    Change your name to 56fraud.
    Still running the Y block?

3. It's a great custom. Customs have fake stuff, always have. If you were to build a hot rod with fake stuff, then my opinion would change. As for what fake stuff is good vs. bad, it's sorta in the eye of the beholder.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am not exactly sure what the hell you are talking about but I can tell you that the "fake" stuff that you have festooned your car with are all nice choices. I think the car looks like a conservative concept car from the mid 50's. It looks like a car that could have made it to the production line if a designer has his or her way.

Interior is really cool and the color is perfect!!! I don't know how I feel about the wheels but I believe down inside of me I accept them if not dig them. The quad exhaust???? Shit that's cool with me and the scoop is too!

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

real or fake that is a beautiful 56 , i say keep doing what your doing

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

WOW, that is clean, perfect.

7. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

customs are sorta like sculpture. what is okay and what isn't okay is based on what makes the car flow. that car has all the right parts, as far as i am concerned. i dont think i have ever seen a better use of those merc wagon tail lights. and i absolutely love that color. sorta makes the car look like a colorized black and white photo. so righteous.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love the car but the wheels lose me.

9. zzford

zzford

Often, fake stuff is installed on a car as an element of styling rather than to try to fool someone. This is true, particularly, on factory built stuff, such as hood scoops, vents and so forth. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with fake stuff as long as it isn't to try to fool someone.

10. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

Maybe goin for that D'Agostino custom look? I kinda like um.

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

D'Agostino uses real wires, these are factory Ford alloy rims. I do like the car, don't get me wrong, the headlamp rims, scopp and interior are awesome.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The previous owner put in a 289/C4/8" about 20 years ago. They're all stll there.

I'd be lying if I said that this thread wasn't an excuse to show off the car some more, and I very much appreciate your comments; I like the car too. I was hoping that someone wiser than me had some insight regarding our double standards. I like to think I'm consistent in my views and behavior, but there's definitely some role playing going on when I do this.

Comet suggests that hot rods are a different matter, but I can't agree. Big & little tires look right on a rod, everybody agrees on that; I have them on my roadster, even though it would probably handle better with different rubber. I also have louvers in almost every conceivable panel, to cool what??? I'd have a quickie in it if I could afford it, although I'd probably never change the gears; but I would never put a fake quick change in it.

I suppose that many of us do the same kind of stuff, and that it's just a part of human nature. We don' need no stinkin' consistency.

13. Beautiful car. I hear ya. As I have grown older I have to be careful not to become a restorer! I look at things and think, Naw, that'd just be posing, then I go ahead and do it anyway and change it later.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You're only looking back on it with the muscle car era in hindsight. In the 50s, no one would have thought that those things should mean "fast" because most custom cars weren't, regardless of how hopped up they were.

Me and Chili Phil were talking about your cars the other day. :D I didn't realize the '50 was green. haha. Love the '56.

15. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

GREAT Colour !!

16. novadude

novadude

Despite what the "traditional police" might say, I like the wheels. Good unique look using imagination and junkyard parts, and somehow they still "work" with the overall look. Something about scavenging junkyard parts seems more "traditional" than handing over a credit card to buy high dollar reproduction traditional wheels. Maybe it's just me...

17. As a '56 Ford afficionado from way back, all I have to say is "FRICKIN' GORGEOUS!"

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We don't need no stinkin' consistency! YEAH! What you said! :D

Tony, I've said it before and I'll say it again... Love the car! My four favorite things about the car are the Paint, the choice of seats, the taillights, and now that you've pointed out the headlight change I dig it as well!

I know very little about Kustoms, but I understand what you're saying loud and clear. I guess you could even take this discussion so far as to say accurate reproductions of various speed items could be fake, and by definition I guess really are. Example... reproduction Winters Quick change rears based off of the Halibrand design, or how about manifold recasts, reproduction Guide or E&J Lights, etc.. Do we take it that far or do we stick with non-functional definitions? Do we say that having a 6x2 manifold with only two operating carbs and four completely blocked off are fake also?

Interesting topic. Theoretical discussion, I suppose. Interesting for sure though. Not wiser than the 'Fraud but thought I would add that bit just for discussion sake as well. Hopefully it's not steering things in the wrong direciton.

19. Love the car...is that a '55 grille/running lights?

20. So the bottom line is, your not going to wear a wig, but you are getting a boob job!!

That car is a beaut.-MIKE:eek::D

-Brent- likes this.
  21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

fake stuff on customs- Okey Dokie
    fake stuff on hot rods- Okie Dorky

22. I gotta go with the thumbs up. That is a georgeous car. Great color. Tasteful and restrained customizing. 289's a great engine. I think the wheels work fine.
    I do get what you are saying. I think most of the customs were and are about looks. I have a 40 Merc and everyone tells me to make it a tail dragger. It's a custom street rod I guess. I like the rod(power) part and the practical, nice handling parts too.
    I know a lot of Harley guys and other bagger riders that put so much crap and glitz on their bikes. To me it's just dead weight. Dressed Harleys aren't rockets to start with either.

23. There is absolutely NO pretentiousness about that car ... none! It is one of the most tasteful customs I've ever seen.

Certainly, customs take cues from performance and race cars, such as scoops, exhaust, wheels and etc. Detroit designers have been doing the same thing for years with production cars. They don't necessarily have to function if they are understated and in good taste. In other words, it can be a good thing so long as the owner isn't trying to make the car look like some kind of hot performance car when it isn't.

A well conceived and executed custom automobile stands as an object of art; it is a thing of beauty, a visual experience that evokes some sort of good feeling. If it goes fast, that's an added bonus. But if it doesn't, that's fine.

Tony, I've said it in so many words before, that '56 stands as an example of fine styling.

24. skullhat

skullhat

looks like a 55 grill and park lamps to me as well, great looking car, love those in the hardtop model, super cool

skull

25. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

daaaam! there is no faking it, that car is sweet!

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Should faux patina on a hot rod be considered in this discussion?

27. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I see a gorgeous car.

28. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, awesome thread, you should be a writer of sorts.....and hell yes on the car! beautifully smooth looking.

29. oldsman71

oldsman71

looks real nice man I dont see a fraud, just a beutiful ford!!!!!!!!

30. Beautiful car!! What are those headlights?