Register now to get rid of these ads!

Class Project, Marge gets a nose job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Oct 9, 2009.

1. We started the repair of Large Marge's hood at school this week. This is that nasty torn hole that I had posted about. I used much of what some of the members posted in the lecture part of this project. You input is much appreciated by me and the students. My original plan was to do this repair as a demo in class. I didn't want to put a student too far over their head as metal work can be a frustrating thing to learn. I had given the job of building the frames to hold the hoods and cleaning up the repair areas to several students. I also have another 47 Olds hood that had a medium sized dent in the front center. So they built frame work to mount them to benches for repair.
    One of the students wanted to take on the repair of the second, dented hood, so we talked over the damage, and I let him give it a shot. He impressed me! It's very close to a metal finish. So rather than do the repair and have the guys watch, I had him, and a few others do the repair as I talked them and the class thru the first stages of the repair.

Then all the students (16) had to turn in a written repair plan written a repair plan. Then we discussed the main points of repair, and I read them many of the HAMB posts from earlier thread. I picked two students to do the majority of the work, and they did the repair, while the class watched with a lot of discussion. I have to say this class has more raw talent than any I've had. For the most part they listen, and follow directions.:eek:

So on to the repair;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. First step was to straighten the mild damage to the leading edge of the iner structure. Slide hammer with a brace to the corner of the hood too most of the damage out. Hammer and dolly finished it off.

Attached Files:

3. Then came the task of unfolding the damage. The left side was corrected as much as possible and the flange was straightened. The right side was worked and the flange unfolded. It was pretty mashed, so this took some prying. The flange had to be straightened as the torn flap was worked smooth. This took a lot of alternating from one area of damage to the other. The tears were tacked together (MIG) as the edges started to fit.

Attached Files:

4. As the torn flap was smoothed, and starting to fit, Brian and Chris tacked it in place. working from the bottom up. Then ground the tacks, and opened up some tight spots in the tear and preped it for welding.

Attached Files:

5. I gas welded the tears myself. Hammered the welds, and turned it back over to the students.

Attached Files:

6. The next step was to lightly grind the weld, and start bumping and smoothing. The center gap has been welded and cut during the repair. The gap is starting to come together.

This is where we left today. The work is being performed by students with 15 weeks total class time so far. They are far from finished, but both the guys working on this have impressed me with their patience and ability to learn. As we make progress next week, I'll add to this thread

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is kick ass. When you posted the hood the first time, I didn't know that it was going to be a teaching lesson. That repair is a good one to learn from..Not only does it take skill, but also alot of planning and thought before tearing in to it.

Very nice so far. -Abone.

8. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Whata great "teaching moment"! Most of those guys are going to walk away with the lesson of what's possible with a repair plan, and some applied skill. Sometimes, panel replacement isn't going to be an option when it comes to dealing with older vehicles!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

9. My guys are back on it today. This is how it looks right now, I'll update tonight with the days progress.

Attached Files:

• 47a.JPG
      47a.JPG
      File size:
      147.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Here's where they are at the end of the day. Keep in mind that they only have a few hours of shop time each day, so there're probably into this project about 7 hours so far. I could tell the frustration level is rising, as I'm pushing them far beyond what they think they can do. I may give them a break, and let them work on something else for a day, but then again I had to make them stop and go home!

Not too bad considering what we started with!

Attached Files:

11. This is the OTHER hood. This one is for Denise. Gonna look good over you door! Brian straightened this one first. Impressed me enough to let him work the second hood.

Attached Files:

12. This is what it looks like today. Metal work is finished. Not a metal finish, but no shame in a little filler. I couldn't be more proud of my students. Any of you that have done much metal work understand just what it takes to stay with something this long.

Attached Files:

13. Amazing job!

Your students should be very proud and thank their lucky stars for having the opportunity to learn this craft.

Thank you for helping keep this alive!

14. Mart

Mart

Great work.

15. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Damn, that is really nice and really cool.

16. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Very cool. I wish I had the opportunity to learn that kind of thing when I was in high school... our "auto shop" class consisted of taking apart and reassembling lawn mower engines...

17. skullhat

skullhat

outstanding job......i remember the oringinal thread. that is a pretty tough spot to get right, but it looks better than most of the used hoods you would be able to find.

wont take much filler to make that one perfect, once again , they should be proud

skull

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, what a difference! They are doing an outstanding job, especially on Large Marge's hood as I didn't think it was repairable. Also, please thank Brian for the awesome job he's done my hood. It's going to look so cool as the awning over my front door. I'm so excited.:cool:

19. tinmann

tinmann

Is this a Metal Shop class, or Auto Tech, or Auto Body? Regardless, the work is amazing. A true reflection of their teacher. Who ever said, "Those that can, do ..... and Those that can't, teach"..... doesn't know squat.

I'm going to take one of my on-going projects to school in the next week for the kiddies to bash and wail at. It's a little something I like to call "The Jigsaw Puzzle Deuce".

Who said work had to be work?

20. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Good job teach

21. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Now would be a good time to demo leading! The kids did great with that hood! So did you "Teach" letting them learn that they can do amazing things! I'm home schooling my boy on autoshop, his basic shop teacher last year argued with him that Porsches were made in Italy???? That guy now is teaching a home-ec there this year (you can't make this crap up!) I hope you can bring this thread up for them to see all the interest in your project! Keep up the great work! tt

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Great job on your teaching " Advanced Metal 101 "!

On the subject of teaching leading in a public school shop class-

I don't know anything about Washington State Health and Safety laws, but here in " The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia " you'd be in serious trouble with the local HUD, CALOSHA & SQAQMD offices.

A few years back the local school auto body program was hell bent for leather to get rid of all of the lead containing mixing bases for their paint systems. I quickly threw myself under the bus ,and offered to "dispose" of said material so Bambi, Flipper and the unicorns would all be safe! There are, no doubt, people in California Education who sleep better nights, knowing that there are guys like me willing to go that extra mile on behalf of the public's safety.

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion!"

23. WOW! After seeing the "before" pic now,IM IMPRESSED! There's alot of radiuses going on there! I don't think I would have even tried to attempt that. Nice work TB.

24. Thanks, everyone for the positive feedback. Keep in mind, this is about the students, not me. All I'm doing is observing and advising. The guys know about the board and are following the thread, so your comments are really apreaciated.
    Sorry no lead work will be taught. Besides the health and safety issues, there is little advantage to using it.

25. ironpile

ironpile

You are on the wrong track.Builders Hamb name is "Too many to count":D

26. ??????
    Wow this must be one of those flashbacks I was promised back in the 70's.