Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB APP for iPhone sure would be cool!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by BAKERSFIELD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Anyone know what it takes to get a App going? I have never really cared about phones or app's but I will tell you what, they sure are cool and helpful! Maybe someone can help Ryan out design one? If I know how it would be done!

2. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

More money to the empire! Good idea But can't you just go to the internet and pull it up?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

that'd be called a browser... you iphone guys need to get with the program :p

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

with the program here. the browser works awesome. no need for an App...

5. Nerdbynight

Nerdbynight

Download Opera Mini if you don't like the browser. The new Opera is awesome and works smoothly with the iPhone. I have HAMB as my homepage haha.

6. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

Someone always needs to talk down a good idea.. Why is that? No matter if it's car related or a stupid post like this ( i posted it ). Funny how that works. If there was one and Hamb charged say 1.00 for it, there would be some good money to be made for the guys who work hard to provide us with such a killer online spot.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

what good idea? are you going to do all the hooks into Vbulletin? Think Ryan is just gonna let someone at the code? The browser works fine. Put a shortcut on the desktop and roll. There would be no added features that would be added over the browser. Now that said there is a bunch of talk across the net of an iPhone app to access vbulletin powered sites via the iPhone API's. there has been a few people working on it. But it adds nothing over using the browser and in a lot of ways the browser is superior to the apps that I've used for social networking sites. I don't see what improvement would be made.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

wow,,, you think this place is about the money...

sad

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm a huge dork with my iphone... I love the damn thing.. Hell, I run this joint through it.

I'm all about doing a iPhone App... I'm just not sure how it could be better than just using the browser?

I'm all ears.

As for money, I wouldn't charge for it... I don't ever want to charge for things that make access to the site easier.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that and the the development costs for a piece of software. Not cheap. I doubt you would make it back at $1 a pop.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Iphone DEV is real cheap actually... I was surprised too...

12. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

yea if you could just make it so the app just simplfied the site, basically just read the thread an post have a post button.

kinda like the ebay app simplfied ebay to a browse and bid type thing.

and yea im with you ryan the iphone is like part of my life now, completely lost without it.

13. BAKERSFIELD

BAKERSFIELD

It's not about the money but the time these guy put into this is more than you can dream! I run a business and know the time it takes to do so. And even if the board is free to use ( i am not sure if it is or not ) but I am sure a lot of money is spent so we can enjoy this.

Relax guy's, I am just talking and not trying to upset anyone over a iphone app....

And thanks Ryan for being a great back up of my idea that I guess would be worthless to people who don't have the iphone. Sorry to ruffly feathers..

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i've got the Instinct from sprint... it doesnt have the amount of apps that the iphone has, but its a similar platform in function... i love mine, use it constantly, but because of the seamless way that the board runs, i have never seen a need for an app to check the board. why re-invent the wheel?

PS, trust me when i tell you, i know EXACTLY what sort of time and $ is needed to make the HAMB roll... Ryan has infinatly more patience than i ever would

15. farley5150

farley5150

Maybe not a just an iPhone app, but something similar to how Blogger works. Being able to send an email to a certain address, possibly attached to your own account, that would post new threads in the Forum.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it can be, the APIs are actually pretty easy to deal with. but covering new ground like the hooks into vbulletin can be time consuming, and time is money. I have a friend that just sank $15k into developing an iPhone app. if there was any added benefit over the browser I could see it.

sent from my iPhone :)

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

please no, a forum takes far more interaction than a blog, I can see the tidal wave of threads showing now.

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Yep... posting from my instinct and zero problems

as for an app to make new threads easier???? its already way to easy to start a thread... :rolleyes:

19. Muttley

Muttley

This thread might as well be in Chinese.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

21. How about a hamb app for ring tones from members cars

22. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA...........thats awesome, although its been a while since I talked about how much Fresno sucks. :D :D So, just in case you have forgotten or had not heard, yes, Fresno does, has and forever will suck. ;) :D

23. gonmad

gonmad

heck, I haven't used my computer in about 6 months! Other than to post pics that is. The iPhone is awesome!

I'd buy it! At a buck, it would pay for the devolopment of it and possibly in the future some of Ryan's time. I have heard that it takes anywhere from $9000-$15000 to get an app done.

But the regular browser does work ok the way it is.

24. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I disagree zman but see your point. All I use is my iPhone and the facebook app is great. Some do lag and not have the features of the main site but something modeled after FB that is more line by line and requires less od the constant zoom in and zoom out would be neat. Oh and pic posting abilities :)

25. 383 240z

383 240z

Ok i usually dont get to geeked out over tech stuff like this but I have to admit that the iPhone is the coolest gadget I have. But how does one make a shortcut to the H.A.M.B.? I would love the one touch acess rather than typing www.jalopyjournal.com into the browser each time. Keith

26. Adam F

Adam F

I was just thinking what my life needs- the HAMB APP. Sure you can use the i-phone browser- but running things like this through an APP are much faster than on the mobile phones inbuilt browser.

The app could deliver a much simpler interface- even just showing the top 20 posts on the message board at that point in time would be good.

As someone pointed out- using something like the facebook picture upload it could add another dimension - live picture updates from shows etc.

I think itd be cool

Adam F

27. Killer graphic design work zman!

28. Diesel627

Diesel627

apps for the iphone is definitely not traditional, come up with an app for my Motorola brick phone, now thats traditional!

Attached Files:

29. solo_909

solo_909

I was just thinking about this the other day! this is a great Idea. I have a friend/client who owns a company that makes apps for Iphones I could talk to him about it and see what he says. Im sure the cost would be way 9-15K Ill get back to you guys with what he says.

30. Just another way for The Gov to keep track of us ...its hard enough ! whats next tracking on are rods ...... oh wait they already do that shit its called onstar