Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB APP for iPhone sure would be cool!

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by BAKERSFIELD, Aug 14, 2009.

1. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I use my iPhone to surf the HAMB often and would love an iPhone app!

I also see that a lot of website are using custom sites to cater to the iPhone.....like eBay. I like the normal eBay iPhone website on my iphone better than the iPhone app.

Mike

2. solo_909

solo_909

Great news guys!! I spoke with my client today whos's company creates Iphones apps and he said that making an app for this site wouldn't be hard to do. There's already a program for php forum sites and is as simple as installing the programs into the server. Im getting a price quote to have this done but he would need to work with Ryan to get things set up. Im sure if all the iphone users chipped in it wouldn't be much and it wouldn't cost Ryan a cent. i get back to you guys when I get more info.

3. silent rick

silent rick

do you think this thread is a homing beacon for spammers to visit the hamb and spew forth their garbage?
    think about it. they do a search and find people who are discussing apps and decide to post their spam.

4. solo_909

solo_909

Ok talked with my client to build an app for this site with all its functions and a tab to connect to jalopy journal we are looking about 3K. Im going start a thread in the main section to see how many hamb member have the iphone and how many would chip in. If we all just gave a few bucks im sure it would be pretty cheap to have a pretty cool app.

5. "Huh,rhy you say dat? Iphone isa pletty coo !"

6. justinj

justinj

Hey all...

I work in application development at a cellular carrier that carries the iPhone, so I do this sort of stuff as a job.

I would wait until someone develops some good, open source API's into vBulletin, as stated previously. This should happen by itself, eventually. It won't take long.

Also, there are a couple of other platforms to consider, such as RIM (Blackberry) and Android (Google). Blackberry is still the number 1 "smartphone" even with all the Apple hype. I've seen how many Android devices we are launching next year and it will really give the iPhone some serious competition.

So, basically, I would wait it out for a year and see how shit shakes down. At that point there may be real easy plugins for vBulletin for all 3 platforms. No sense in spending good money now to develop what will evolve naturally over the next 12-18 months.

Just my opinion of course. I'd love to have an app now, too...

-JJ

7. Muttley

Muttley

Mostly because I dont own a cell phone and wouldnt have one even if it was free. Why anyone would want the internet on their phone is beyond me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I've seen an app where people take snap shots of cars and post them to an app which notifies everyone on the app. It would be cool for pics of cool cars spotted out and about or sending pics of cool parts spotted at swap meets.

I know I saw some cool parts at a swap meet I went to the other day and thought "I bet someone on the H.A.M.B would want this".

I'm all for anything that allows me to communicate with other humans who share my hobbies or passions. A H.A.M.B App would be cool. I'd love to be notified of another cool car spotted. It could get out of hand but it might even make it easier for those who are not yet skilled with phones. These devices are changing our lives. Sometimes for the worse but often for the better. A think a H.A.M.B app that makes either searching new posts or somehow doing something to add to me enjoyment of this lifestyle - like I said - I'm all for it.

9. Abomination

Abomination

Dude - it's been like a year. There STILL aren't any good open source APIs into vBulletin.

I, too, thought it wouldn't take long. Guess we were both off.

~Jason

10. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

fyi it takes a really long time to text on a rotary dial phone.