Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Phantom 27 Pickup "Flat Hat" (27x part 2)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,
    Well, it's about time to start a new thread on my build. We've just about run out of our first cache of parts and completed about 90 percent of the scheduled "to do" list to date. So... time to order another batch of parts and get cracking on the interior, controls and engine. The hood / sides and grille will be last, we think.

At the request of others, we rolled it out in the light this morning for the first time and did a walk-about photo shoot. Of course, the grille is too low and too far forward, but the rest is looking about how it will be when finished. The bed sides are a little higher than we planned, but I'm adjusting to the look quite well. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

lookin good gary !

3. Looks great. Right on the money stance.
    The cab is really cool too. Glad the rad will be back a little.

4. mink

mink
    from CT

I like your build however im not found of the grille choice. In my oppinion ya need a more square looking grille shell like from a chevy or an international.

5. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

6. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Lower & shorten the bed;......... the rest is cool!

7. Yep.

8. looks good but I would tweak the bed as well. Maybe thin the panel UNDER the bed sides? And take a subtle amount out of the length.

9. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

Ya, I agree. Loose the grille...and the wheels/tires...and the motor...and the bed is all wrong...and the visor looks like it should be on a gasser...and the tail lights look like shovel blades...and the body looks like it should be channeled, but other than that...

10. I like the bed high and the visor, kinda like an angry middle linebacker...

I'm just wonder where the taillight wiring will go? Is the bed going to have a cover on it all the time? Is there an extra panel going inside the tailgate that'll hide the wires?

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Appreciate the comments guys. Keep them coming. I'm still holding out on the 33 grille. Always liked them, but time will tell. I think the way the roof rakes down and the way the grille will lay back a little will work well. But there is just no way of knowing how I feel about it until time comes to get the grille chopped and installed.

As for the bed, it is as low as it will go without taking up floor space to make some sort of box to clear the diff on bump. Sure, I would have loved it a couple inches lower, but no lower than that, as one of my main build goal is a full size, full length bed so I can pack it full of crap for long trips. So the best we could do is cut 2+ inches out of the bed's cross members to channel it over the rear frame. It looks much nicer in person than what you might think from my pix. And of course it will look a lot racier when the air ride is dropped 3" all around for the fair grounds - but the photos show it at ride height. It will be some time before we can test all that out.

There will be removable aprons below the bed sides, covering up all the rear frame / cage below the bed's frame and aprons. When it is done, all you will see from the side are the body, bed, wheels, the 4 bars, and hint of frame under the cab. Channeling more than the 1" it already has is just not possible with the chop, anyway. Keep the faith!

Later, Gary

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Bud!

These repro tail lights (LEDs, I know) have flat backs and just need 3 holes for the wires and two mounting bolts. Likewise, the cut-down hinges only need two bolts. So.. the plan is the hide the wires and bolts on the back with two vertical wooden slats / skids set over those rows of bolts. They will be finished like the bed wood and hide the wires, which will run into the rear bed metal (TBA).

A full metal toneau is also planned, with a good seal and drains worked out. We also plan to plug the holes in the stake pockets and put in drain holes for them, too. A welded bung in at the bottom of each stake pocket will let any stake sides / posts to be secured. Hidden latches, too... no chains to rattle around outside.

Later, Gary

13. Do you mind opinions since you put it out there to comment? I can't help it. just have to.
    1)Bed is way too high.Stand back and look at it. Keep the cowl as your reference. Ya, You will lose bed space but it will look right.
    2) Rims are kind weird. Look outta place
    3) Needs a Model A grille shell
    4) Four bar just looks too 80's streetrod
    Just my 2 cents worth. Hope that helps if any.
    I like the chop!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As I said, the bed is as low as it can be, sorry. Rims are ok, too. LOTS of folks love them - Cragar's new 391's. You can get them with gray centers now, too. These are my "traveling" wheels, chrome / easy to clean and the tires (Goodyear RS-A) are rated well for speed, wet handling, comfort and wear. They are also easy to use as builder wheels. My around town wheels and tires are some of Coker's WWW with big-ol Moons - but as they are hard to keep clean in the shop they have been stashed until the final built up.

The 4 bars were deemed necessary for the air ride deal - to keep things as square as possible during the extremes in travel. And as for looks, 4-bars are race car stuff to me, not street rod. I LOVE all kinds of race cars, expecially dirt oval USAC / WOO stuff. Hence the bars. BTW, this car is very long, about 115-116" wheel base - as far as we can gestimate - because of the long bed and stretched cab. So hopefully when the grille is on and set back over the front crossmember it will almost have a suicide look in the front. Big head lights are planned...

I like the chop, too! Imagine that. Later, Gary

Early in the build shot of the other wheels...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  15. I'm ok with the bed location. The other rims with the WWW are much better. What's the motor? I like the way it sits, it fills up the engine compartment at looks like it allows for a hood top. Interesting project.

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... The motor is a supercharged GM 3800 V6 from a 2000 Pontiac, hooked to a 4L60E from a 2000 V6 Camaro. Good little motor and the tranny has some good gears even with 29" tall rear tires. The motor is set forward from the cowl a tad because we have to make room for an intake pipe at the back of the blower to relocate the throttle body and because we are going to retain the exhaust crossover from the left bank to the right over the top of the bell housing. Promise to keep the hood closed so all the hi-tech stuff doesn't spill out.

Rather than doing lakes style pipes out both sides (it could have looked like a flathead!), there will just be one single, large 4-5" diameter dump pipe out the right hood side. That dump will have one of those electric butterflys for causing havoc. The daily exhaust will run down the right side frame under the passenger seat and straight out the back in a single pipe.

We are still tossing around ideas on where to relocate the throttle body - it may just end up right on top of the blower facing forward in a hood scoop! Later, Gary

17. tjm73

tjm73

Looks sweet!! I love it! Keep up the great work. Can't wait for the new updates you will be posting.

18. seatex

seatex

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... Gary

20. crazed_lunatik

crazed_lunatik
    from Arizona

looks great. i love the rims, i dont know why people would not so much. keep it up, i would love to see the final project.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

50:50 on the wheels I guess. Perhaps the new gray centered versions would have a better "Salt Flat" look, but I'm loving the idea of cleaning these chrome versions with Windex and walking away for a cool one in short order.

Not much new to report... we are still in the minor fab / 1-800-new-parts mode. Later, Gary

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Not much new in the way of photos this week... we worked on getting the body and bed more alligned (raised the back of the cab and now the bed looks lower!) and interior stuff - pedals, shifter, a plan for the dash, plans for the drive shaft and xmsn tunnels, etc. Most striking, she's got eyes! We are still waiting on the shock mounts to get the front end all done. Grille will get a chop from the top... bottom is about where it will be at ride height. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

23. sigfordjoe

sigfordjoe
    from Michigan

I like it ! It's got the look

24. dnnflamess

dnnflamess
    from el paso tx

Build it like you like it. Only you know your vision. As for me I like it.
    As for Telling you what to do? I've seen lots of fender less rods but never a door less one! ;) I dare ya!!:D

25. agentwaldo

agentwaldo
    from Ventura

gary,
    i think you got a real good start on a project you are building for your own bad self,
    keep going in the direction you are ,til you get far enough along to tell if you want to make some changes. sometimes it is hard to tell if the look you are after is developing ,until most of the basic pieces are in place. be patient. waldo

26. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Sounds like they are busting your balls a little but I am building a T roadster with a longer than normal bed for the same reasons I want to be able to haul a suit case or two I am building it to drive love the top also thats just cool.

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx, guys. Gary

28. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Hey Gary,
    Thanx for linking me over to this post. I forgot to mention in our private mail how much I like your car. Build it how you want, your the one who has to really like it.
    Alan

What the HELL is this??????

Attached Files:

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx again also for your tech tips. Your car reminds me of those road racing Volvo wagons that were so fast / popular in Europe they banned all wagons from the sedan racing categories! Gary

30. tjm73

tjm73