Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Barris Vs. Jeffries

At the GNRS earlier this year, Rod Powell introduced me to Dean Jeffries. He was exactly as every one says he is - down to earth, sharp, and just flat out interesting. At the time, Dean was really excited about his book that was just about to be rele...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Dooley

Default Re: Barris Vs. Jeffries

Sounds like a book I need to get.
There have been a few people here who have met Dean, and have written about his dislike for Barris.

I read in Rod and Custom, in an article about Dean, they refered to his venom like repsonse as Nirtous Fed Twin Blown Anger, or something to that effect, that is what I imagine hearing him would sound like.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Evel
Old School HAMBer

I was at Barris the day and saw the book it's really cool... Brett (George's son) was a bit angry that a few people aside from Dean talked bad about George.. this stuff has been known for a long time we all know that...we know the shenanigans that he got into..but being printed in a book bummed him out,,
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Old-Soul
Old School HAMBer

I might just have to pick that one up, thanks for the heads up Ryan. It's always cool to get a glimpse into the lives of 'the big ones'
Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
lanny haas

This is a great read....Dean holds the rights to Von Dutch's flying eyeball, something I didnt know....
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Capitan Insano
Alliance Member

Its a good book. I talked to him at Aero Books in Burbank and he was real cool.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
KK Hickey Designs
Grenade Inspector

I've heard about this rivalry since I was a little kid and my Uncles and Dad would argue back and forth over who designed the models they had sitting on a shelf at my Grandparents house and I've obviously heard it for years afterward about Barris doing this to other builders. his Wikipedia entry actually has a more detailed write up on this. I've always felt the worst for Jeffries though, he just seems like a really good guy who got the shaft from his boss at the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_...ts.2C_law_suit
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

Rivalry aside, the legendary kustom guys really have a lot to offer. Preservation and tradition being more open makes these books and stories an invaluable resource. And these guys did things the "hard way" in today's vernacular. If I'm not mistaken Jeffries is one of the builders that would create a skeleton of the car being built and then skin it with steel or aluminum way back in the day. Seems simple now but decades ago it was almost ground breaking to some. Looks like a book I want. Thanks for the insight Ryan.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Dago Red
Grenade Inspector

In one of the Barris books, he writes about the 1958 fire, and it seems like he blames Jeffries for some of the damage. Dean was nearby when it broke out and managed to get his girlfriend's car out of the shop, but opening the door gave the fire a lot more oxygen. He doesn't really come right out and say it's Dean's fault, but it's just under the surface.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
oddrodgarage
Alliance Member

Looks like a must read for me
Old 03-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Yeah, I'm putting on the list. My money is on Jeffries even thought I have much to learn.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Van Dutch
Grenade Inspector

One a better designer and builder, one a more consumate (self) promoter. Both good for the hobby and custom industry, I guess.

Funny, growing up, seeing and readiing about the legendary TV cars, it was always Barris, Barris, Barris. I even had all the Barris trading cards. Wish I still had them. Anyone remember them? They were lke oversized baseball cards...

anyway, sounds like Barris had the promotional thing going, and Jeffries was the unsung genius behind a lot of it...isn't that the way it usually goes between creative people and management when it comes to intellectual property-type stuff? Wonder if Barris had any contract for employees stating all designs belonged to him?

Absolutley going to buy a copy. Wonder if Dean Jeffries gets a royalty on the 40 beans per?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
plywude

In SoCal in th 60's I met Tex Collins/ Cal Automotive, the man I think started the glass T bodies and Tex told me that he had done the body and frame for the Monster coach but Barris took credit for the whole thing I guess if you're paying the bill, then you're building the car and should get the credit for it.?...........
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

If there is one unfortunate thing I have learned being into hot rods, it is that there is more cat fighting drama to be found up and down the scales than at a sorority house on cleaning day. Sometimes it is comical and humorous, and then, well, sometimes is is just kind of sad and pathetic.

This seems like a cool book and hope it has a lot more to offer than just the bickering. I'll check it out and maybe pick up a copy.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel View Post
Brett (George's son) was a bit angry that a few people aside from Dean talked bad about George..
Tough...

If we want these cars to be taken seriously, we need to take their History seriously.

And that means at least to be accurate about who built them.

As far as Barris...
I wasn't there either, but there seems to be an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #16
whamoman
Grenade Inspector

In 1969 I left Wichita Kansas for California. Not having any idea what I was going to do when i got there. I had some experience working for a time with Starbird in Wichita but I knew California was where I would really get professional experience. I first went to Barris' shop and asked for a job. I won't go into what happened but I left there determined never to offer my services to George Barris again as long as I lived, and I never have. I went directly from there to Dean Jeffries and went to work for him the next day. I have great memories of those days with Dean. I never understood what a time in history I was experiencing. Dean introduced me to Steve McQueen and Jim Garner at Ascot Race Park where Dean pitted his Porsche powered 'Kyote' dune buggy next to Steve. Every Tuesday night I had that event to look forward to. I met so many legends through Dean, every day different celebrities would just come strolling through the shop. I was blown away and Dean could care less! I learned a great deal from Dean during the time I spent with him. I was in my early 20's and wanted to learn everything I could from him. He called me the 'Babbling Brook' because I was constantly asking him questions. I loved working with him. I had the opportunity to be involved in some amazing projects during my time with him.
I just wanted to share a little bit of history and say 'thanks Dean for giving me one of the greatest experiences of my career.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #17
McKee

How about a list of the cars that Jeffries built ( including pics ) and a list of the cars that Barris built,......a list of the cars that Barris "claims" that he built might be too long!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
metalshapes
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKee View Post
How about a list of the cars that Jeffries built ( including pics ) and a list of the cars that Barris built,......a list of the cars that Barris "claims" that he built might be too long!
Thats not a bad idea.

I'd like to believe George built something.
But personally I'm to the point that I wont believe it untill I see reasonable proof...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
Thirdyfivepickup
Old School HAMBer

Jeffries is someone I'd like to meet one day. The Tardel's are up there too. (as well as Unkl Ian....
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
Chaz
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the heads up Ryan... My copy is ordered. If there's one picture of the Mantaray I havent seen it is worth the cover price.