Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Barris Vs. Jeffries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanCollins

DanCollins

I grew up down the street from Jeffries automotive in Hollywood, and drove by his shop almost everyday. Being a kid his TV cars really blew my mind, in the late 70's early 80's he was doing lots of futuristic battlestar galactica kinda stuff, and he had this crazy customized van outside all the time. But once in a while I'd catch that flamed white 34 tudor parked outside. the Mantis is one of my favorite scratch-built cars of all time. I think one of his future cars can be seen in Tom Pettys learning to fly video....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Brett Barris

Brett Barris

I am so happy that Dean Jeffries finally has a book about him and his work. He is a very talented man and deserves much more recognition. Though I don't think the feud between Barris and Jeffries was appropriate for a book, but maybe for the Enquirer magazine.. FYI.. if you go to the Barris website it clearly states that the cars featured are built by Barris or part of the Barris collection. The Monkee Mobile is not listed in the Gallery of Barris built cars. The Green Hornet is because George did some work on it, but it gives credit to Jeffries for the original design. Too bad the writer/editor did not mention that. Plus, most of the pictures in the book of Jeffries early days were taken by George, though he only got partial credit for his pics... So I guess they are even!!??

3. v194

v194
    from The South

What work did George do exactally on the Green Hornet car?

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I have not made it all the way through the book yet, but on the ACKNOWLEDGMENTS page, "A huge thanks to George" is included.

5. v194

v194
    from The South

Brett are you out there? I hope you can fill us in on this, I have heard this but never any details. Can you let us know about Georges involvement with the Green Hornet?
    Much appreciated! Thanks.

6. vintageguy

vintageguy
    from va

I am a hotrod and classic car guy and I Have a 60's Barris Batmobile slotcar and a 60's Dean Jefferies Manta Ray slot car and being from the east coast I didn't know a whole lot about those 2 customizers...thanks for more insite...interesting.

7. v194

v194
    from The South

A Rare photo for sure!

Attached Files:

8. Karrera

Karrera

Dean's a great guy and all hot rodders need a copy of his book. Tom Cotter and Dean told me that when they started going through the files on the cars that Dean has built they found enough material for two more books!

All of us who got the chance to see him at Amelia Island this year were pretty lucky - even if I did make him tear up when we sprung the big surprise on him. It was worth all the effort to reunite Dean with his Porsche for the first time in 47 years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

WHITE?!? :D

Good Lord that is awesome. I love that little Porsche and Dean getting to see it...

10. Karrera

Karrera

Primer grey - we're waiting for Dean to tell us exactly what shade of pearlescent silver to paint it. The Porsche has been invited back to Amelia Island again next year - it should be finished by them and will be on the show field this time instead of just being shown at the special event on Friday morning.

Dean will hopefully attend next year - he seemed to be having a good time and we all enjoyed having him there.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Cannot wait to see that 356 restored, Jeffries looks a little overwhelmed!

12. Dean Jeffries rules. When I got into striping, I always gravitated towards his stuff. Very "Beat".

Seems like everyone has nothing but positive things to say about Jeffries.

I don't know Barris, but over the years I haven't heard nearly as many positive stories.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I think von dutch worked for dean jeffries

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Remember George is a promoter, promoters take credit, that's what they do. Jeffries is a builder, builders seldom get the credit.

Not saying its right, but that is the custom car world my friend.

15. rooman

rooman

Apart from the semantics of who built what if you look at each guy's overall build list, comparing Jefferies' cars to those built by Barris is like comparing Troy Ladd's output to that of Scott's Hot Rods. There should be some style involved and some people just miss that boat.
    Don't get me wrong, Barris did some cool shit at times (and considering the times) but a lot of it was simple sensationalism not style.

Roo

16. Roo that might be your take on this however when Barris' cars came out it was a newsworthy event even back in the sixtys and I remember thhe hoopla over his cars,they were cuttin edge and yes he had some of the best work for him,and those guys had a great history on their own,,,,,,,,,bottom line up until the 80s or so Barris was the master that many looked at in the hotrod world....things have progressed and some seem too have left Mr Barris behind but he is Much of our kustom history like it or not

17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Some of you guys should start reading some more kustom history....
    For instance, somebody said that George was a promoter, and Jeffries was a builder. Well that is right, but George was also a buillder. George was actually a builder way before his brother Sam started building cars. George hang around Harry Westergard and learned the trade from him. At the same time history has it that Sam was more into sports. When Sam returned from the army, George learned him the craft so that they could open up a shop together. OK, enough about that. I have read the Jeffries book, and I must admit that he did an awesome job building the Mantaray. But there wasn't that many other hot rods or kustom cars in the book that caught my eye. He had a '47 Mercury that he flamed and used as a "business card" that looked awesome. George on the other hand I know built many great cars in the beginning of his career. Here are some examples:

George's own 36 Coupe
    [​IMG]

George`s own 36 Convertible
    [​IMG]

George's own '41 Buick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some mighty fine cars if you ask me. These were all built while he was relatively young. Yes George went on to become a marketer, business man, and promoter. And he succeded with what he did, making Barris Kustoms the most known custom shop of all times. He has said and done many dumb thing later on in his life, and he eventually stopped building traditional customs. But let us not forget the good things he has done either. Now, can someone show me some examples of some just as interesting Jeffries built traditional cars?

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Barris is a great self promoter, he likes himself ALOT.... He invented the wheel you know.

19. futurabat

futurabat
    BANNED

Dean Jeffries- Consummate car builder and craftsman extraordinaire. Very nice and down to earth.

George Barris- Shameless self promoter and stylised bullshit artist.

Let little Brett and Joji Barris whine about what is being said about George, he has it coming for trying to take credit for other peoples work.

Go ahead GB lovers, bash me and call me names, I know you will because you can't stand to hear the truth about your hero.

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Man all you have posted on this forum is your haterd for George.. Good for you that you don't like him but you need to chill out..

21. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah...

I'm no fan of George, but this is starting to be annoying.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I try not to say something derogatory about a person unless I know them personally and can personally attest to his shitty dudeness...even then it doesn't do anybody any good right? Except for Evel.....that's dude is a dick and I don't care if I'm right or wrong hahah!!!! Just kidding dude!

So if you don't like Barris' work the appropriate thing to say would be..."I like Jeffries stuff better".

23. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Hhahaaha funny..

i don't care what people think of George,,, I see him 4 days a week and get to hang out
    with him often.. and he has his moments and it get crazy at times.. he's George no matter what he is our history and I respect what he has done in our industry.

So ya...we get it you don't like him move on.

24. solid

solid

I'm sure there are alot of the ol' timers that didnt get credit where it was due, but if you could ask them i think they would tell you that's not why they did it. I love to look at old post war hot rod pics, they look like they didnt have a pot to piss in, but they were still smilin'. I've seen several old custom car photos with 4 or 5 guys ,dirty, ratty looking with big proud looks on their faces. Sure looked like alot of fun. '' All '' these old time car guys deserve our respect. We lose a few every year, and when they are gone wont be no more. Without them what the hell would we be doing right now? Fantacy football.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Driver50x likes this.
  25. Dano32

Dano32

An old sign painter and long time friend of Von Dutch here in Prescott claims to have the rights to the Flying Eyeball, even has/had some laws suits regarding it. There were two styles of the Dutch eyeball I was told, not sure of that.
    I did know Von Dutch, not well, and did have work done by him, still own one piece.

Dano32

26. futurabat

futurabat
    BANNED

Nope, no chillin out here. I speak my mind where and when I want. If you don't like it don't read it. It's that simple. Open forum and all that you know?

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

Nope.

We dont allow Drama.

And that includes bringing a bunch of Zombie Threads to the top to spew your venom.

28. There are two sides to the Barris vs. Jeffries story and only two men that know the truth to either side......Neither of them are posting on this thread....

29. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Gezz!!!....I just read this whole thread, All I can say is WOW!....Some of you guys need to get a grip,....I personally would like to see everyone here who Has the nerve to talk bad about a guy who has built some of the best customs ever......I would like to see what You have built!...Its been my exp that the ones who think they know it all and down talk some of the best builders, Have never built anything, And some of them prolly could not tell you which end of a screwdriver you are suppose to use.......Just my 2 cents

30. futurabat

futurabat
    BANNED

You don't have to be a custom builder to know the truth. Fact is, Barris has been stealing credit for cars he has had nothing to do with aside from having PURCHASED them for two decades now. He has also been telling the same lies about the Batmobile since it was built.

Dean Jeffries currently has a lawsuit against him for trying to tell everyone he is responsible for the Monkeemobile and Black Beauty. Just because I don't build custom cars doesn't mean I don't know what i'm talking about.

Yes he has built "some of the best customs ever", and I don't dispute that. My problem is with the man himself. Barris only likes the people that kiss his ass, and if you have a legitimate question...you'll get an illegitmate answer.

Furthermore, just because you wrenchers have been here longer than me does not give ANY of you the right to ask me to take it elsewhere OR to stop my Barris bashing. You like him, I don't, and BOTH of us have the right to our opinions.

As far as drama? Find a fuckin chat board that DOESN'T have drama OR people dredging up old "zombie" posts.

Get over yourself butch, you ain't nobody special and niether is Barris in my book.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.