Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #41
Nevadabob
Alliance Member

Thumbs up Re: The Polynesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabriolethiboy View Post
This thread is timely and I apologise if I am hijacking it. John Ballard of Anderson, Indiana, the builder of the Polynesian II (the clone of the Polynesian) just passed away on the 6th of Feburary. He was 71 years old. The clone is not exactly the right color because John was working from photographs only. He never saw the real car (at least while they were building it). John also owned the 41 Willy's that won "Best Engineered" at the 1971 Street Rod Nationals. At the time of his passing he still owned the Willy's, although it was torn apart for a number of years.
John Ballard has a monument at www.polynesian2customcar.com Everybody I have talked with that knew John all say the same thing "he was a good guy with incredible mechanical skills" and a web site of his build Polynesian2 has been erected to pay John tribute for his craftsmanship and the fact he was an asset to the car community. For someone to take on a project of that magnitude with such strict guidlines and pull it off is one of the most incredible stories in car customizing. Even the best of the best would have balked at that build. After his build he drove the car to CA and met Niel Emory and Niel was impressed and gave him his blessing. In my opinion John Ballard was larger than life.

Last edited by Buddy4156; 07-28-2009 at 02:00 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #42
firstnomad
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The Polynesian

Without a doubt, It's always been my favorite. I find it very difficult to see how this sectioned Olds was hammer-welded without any lead, or any kind of filler, and be so flawless. A very subtle profile, yet so pleasing to the eye. The treatment of the bumper being raised and becoming a part of the grille, is something else!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #43
JeffSled
Old School HAMBer

Location: A place where cars drive at the same height that they park.

Just saw this car on saturday at the Peterson museum,it had the yellow interior so I assume it was the real one. I appreciate the work and the quality of work that was put in to this car but....... anyone who thinks this blows away or is even close to the same level as the Hirohata is kidding themselves. Not even close, I just saw the Hirohata for 2 hours yesterday and that car is just beyond anything out there.

Friend's don't let friend's lay frame.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
Ballardsdaughter
FNG

John Ballard actually passed on 2/5/2009 and I have spoken to the
current car owner of the Polynesian II. I think its safe to assume we all are entitled to pick a favorite; but its definitely safe to say that BOTH are amazing works of art and to be appreciated at the highest honor. My father was a legend in his own time. Thank you to everyone that continues to keep his legacy alive.