Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Twin 58's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. :cool: Personally, I prefer the one on the left........

3. Cool twins!

I think I like the one on the left the best! More open, agressive grille treatment, lack of front quarter louvers. Obviously, I'm into less chrome! But, if either was placed in my driveway Christmas morning, I'd be happy!!!!!

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've drooled over those cars/photos for years!! I, also, have always liked the one on the left just a little more. I think that one was Southard's, wasn't it?

Malcolm

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That's two sweet 58's! Myself I also like the one on the left best.... I think, the grille treatment looks better at least! But the paint job on the roof and the rear of the other one is really awesome!

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I pull out that same book and thumb through it every so often myself. My favorite shots of Andy's car are the interior shots taken in Tijuana and the one in front of Eastern Auto. Can you imagine pulling up to that place in your new '58 to buy real appletons?

I think my favorite '58 from the book though is the light blue one on pages 52-53 that had the "church key" damage.

7. Anderson

Anderson

Another vote for the left. Love that grill, and the lack of skirts. Both very cool cars though!

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nice.....
    I like the paint on the RH car better....both cars are real beauties.
    I'm a loser.....as I don't have that book yet! Oh Santa?

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes... The car on the left is Southard's... Sorry, should have mentioned that.

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I like the left too. I wonder what that grille is?

11. RodP

RodP

Ryan
    The one on the left is the one Andy was driving the day I met him at Varners house.
    It was a new car at the time.

12. RodP

RodP

Herb Gary did all of the custom body work Andy painted the scallops and striped it.
    RodP

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like the grille treatment on the Left one.

14. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Great job again Ryan! Those are the period perfect 58's and definitely iconic. Customs are my favorites. I always look forward to your stories.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yes, the one on the left is Southard's and I do prefer it out of those two.

Ryan.. scan one of the shots of that car's tail lights... Mercury wagon I believe.. look like they were born there. Great custom touch. :)

16. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

I received that book for christmas when I was 5 yerars old (I'm a youngster, keep in mind, but that was still 17 years ago), and it really helped shape my young mind as to what I perceived as "cool."

Great book, great shots, and two great Impy's!

17. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Andy's 58 is the coolest mild custom 58 Chevy ever in my opinion....

18. I prefer the rake and the simplicity of Andy's. have maintained off and on contact with him over the last twelve years and he is truly one fine guy. Love his books...the cars in them are truly great and remind me of why I got into rodding back in '61.

19. Crease

Crease

Re read that one this week too, theres just not that many books on Kustoms. Seems like I keep going back to that and The Barris Big Book.

20. williebill

williebill

I remember when NOBODY around me liked 58s...Thought I was the only one,but it was an aqua 58 in the neighborhood that first got me twisted about cars....black wheels,no caps,thin whites,pillows in the back window,LOUD as hell...Glad I was finally able to come out of the closet about 58 Impalas...

21. I keep that book on the shelf here handy in case I need it for reference. Have about 4 more the same size and format that are all Barris cars.

I always liked the chopped '57 Chevy 4-door hardtop on page 122, with a '57 Buick/Olds rear window and '57 Chrysler taillights -

22. I got that book too!

Definately two fine '58's and great examples of building styles of the era. There's no doubt that the "Califirornia Rake' on the left '58(Southard's) has helped the coolness factor of this car.

The Graffitti '58 had a similar rake and that absolutely is what has endeared that car to so many for so long.

Great post, Ryan...

Joel

23. luciomduran

luciomduran

I love that book and those two cars. I got me thinking about Mox Miller's car that was in RJ issue Issue #32. Another great 58.

[​IMG]

24. Mopar34

Mopar34

Thanks Ryan! Guess I'm going to have to get a copy of that book. I love 58's, always have. Had several friends who had them back in high school 45 years ago. I like them both, but I think I prefer Southard's a little more. Here's one that lives in our family and of course, I like it the best.:cool::D

Attached Files:

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yeah...that Miller '58 is a knockout!

My personal fav is Lee Pratt's Impala.......(Rick Amado photo)

Attached Files:

26. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just one more fine example of 1958 Chevrolet I saw on a book cover. (more info here)

I have no idea who owns / built it, but it's one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

The left one for me, if I have to be picky!Both are real NICE!

28. VonKool13

VonKool13

Those cars are the best of the '58 model year for any manufacturer, then when these two guys got a hold of them....WOW!!

29. JEPPA

JEPPA

Man, I love that book! I don't have it but a friend does. I hope he wills it to me.:D

As far as the '58's. I would have them both.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

For those that don't have the book, but want it - It's worth every penny!!

[​IMG]