Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acts of kindness on the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Max Gearhead, Oct 28, 2008.

1. We have all seen lots of cool things done for HAMBers by HAMBers over the years but how many of you have been the recipients of these acts? Earlier this year I sure was and for those of you that missed it here's what happened.

Wingnutz posted a thread saying that with Ryan's thumbsup a benefit auction was being held to help out someone in need, which turns out to be me! :eek: Wingnutz, Mike Zenor, the Primates CC and Johnny Ace got together to put on an auction of some VERY cool artwork Johnny did for the Primates Slots O'Doom slotcar races and it raised enough $$$ to get what they decided this anonymous HAMBer needed to make life a little easier.

Fast forward to July 18th ( my birthday by the way :D ) and I get a phone call from Wingnutz asking if I was going to be around today as he was headed out my way and was going to stop for a visit. Well, a couple of hours later I hear a big rumble outside and it's Wingnutz in his Bucket of Blood A roadster. As I walked up to the A I noticed that it was filled full of boxes so I asked what he had in the boxes and he said your new computer and monitor!!! He then said that the Slots O' Doom benefit was for me and with the $$$ they raised they bought me a new high performance computer and 22inch flat screen monitor! :eek: To say I was shocked is a HUGE understatement!!!! :eek: For those of you that don't know me, I have an incurable eye disease that has made it very hard to keep up with things on the HAMB and elsewhere on the internet with my very old computer and monitor. This computer and monitor rocks!!!! :) What an improvement!!! Now I can keep up with all the happenings on the HAMB and not end up with hurting eyes! Wow, what a great bunch of HAMBers. I can't say in words how much I appreciated this HUGE act of HAMB kindness. I hope that I can return the favor someday. Thanks so much to everyone involved!

Max.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Wingnuts & Steve up there in Fon du Lac are great guys.

As for HAMB kindness...... I'm in the middle of a 34 chevy truck cab build and had an A pillar missing which I posted requesting to find one....and a guy pm'd me saying he had a set of A pillars & asked for my address. The next pm said "They shipped out / no charge"

I really needed these....and No Charge....this is a great place. Thank you HAMB

Carl Hagan here in KC KS

3. Abomination

Abomination

Ditto. :)

Zapato sent me an electric wiper motor, linkage, and everything for my Bonus Built for the price of shipping!

~Jason

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

nailhead_brent offered up a free HAMB shirt to a HAMBer who he thought deserved it most.

That ended up being me.

I'm searching for some shirts from a couple of years back that I purposly bought a size smaller hoping that I would fit in.

I never made that weight.

Hopefully I'll find them. I was flooded in June, and hope they didn't get tossed out.

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Everytime I need technical help folks will go out of there way to help me.

Much appreciated.

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

GREAT story Jim. The new computer is well deserved and the guys involved are some of the nicest anywhere.

7. RacerRick

RacerRick

A pair of very nice HAMB'rs helped me with parts when I got stuck on a bad ebay purchase. SoCal Merc sent me a piston to replace the fubar'd one I got, and another Hamber sent me a set of rods for a Red Ram hemi to replace the munged one I had.

I need to start sending stuff to other people and rebuild my Carma (normal people have Karma, car guys have Carma).

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

billandbeauford hooked me up as well. Gave me 4 new tires on rims, and spindles for my 31. It is people like this that makes me proud to be a part of this hobby.

9. magnet

magnet

Max.. u are a rockstar.

Primates, Johnny Ace... even bigger rockstars.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

A few of you know my grandson Joe is at Children's Hospital in Little Rock. He is two and a half and has spent the majority of his life at Children's. In the last year, he's only been home 24 days, and has been there this admission since January 8th. The doctors say he is not going to get better due to the effects of being born with VATER syndrome.

Three awesome HAMBers and their families (drdave, stillkruzn, and toadfrog) secretly put together a benefit car show for our family last April, raising money to help us with expenses that aren't covered. It was unreal how many people came out for the show (including other HAMBers from other towns), which included the most awesome homemade trophies you've ever seen, live entertainment, great food and sponsorship from Advance Auto Parts and others who donated door prizes (like impact wrench sets, etc).

I can't tell you how much it meant to our family what these gearheads did, and they continue to check on Joe, and keep us in their prayers.

We became friends through our love of traditional rods and customs, but it has gone beyond that to friendship for life.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Little things happen every day here, such as Muttley sorting out an order issue I had that I couldn't sort out from here. Great guy!
    Doc.

12. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Met Dickster27 through Breeder...needed pump rods for my Rochesters. Gratis no charge. Thanks Dickster!!! R.C. Grimes went trooping thru the mud and rain looking for a magic steering box that GM apparently only put in 1956 Buick Roadmasters. He pick up the challenge and risked life and limb trying to find one for me. (Is that what you wanted me to say RC? LOL)
    Great place this HAMB and as soon as I wrap up some things money wise I am going to throw the $50.00 bones down for the Alliance membership.
    Fitysix

13. Jakespeed has saved my ass more than once. Great guys on the HAMB.

Bill

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Ditto on Dickster 27, He was terrific on helping me sort out the 3X2's on the T.

BELLM for a 27 cowl for patch panels (free)

Kerry for hauling the cowl in his coupe 60 miles out of his way in a rain storm on the way back from DOD last year.

Without a doubt this place has more great people per capita than any where in the world.

15. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Bought a condition unknown engine from a parts car from michiganman061. He noticed a few of the spark plug holes were a little buggered up so he gave me another set. How cool is that.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I didn't know they sold the spark plug holes seperately.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been helped and have given back, this community is awesome for it's honor and caring.

18. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Those guys rock - you deserve it Jim!

19. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

You are correct, set of heads. Sorry, spare set of heads.

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

GMC Bubba here on the HAMB has helped me numerous times with parts, technical help and just plane advice and encouragement. I will never get on the even side of paying back what he has done for me. Although I met him off of the HAMB, I know he has helped many on here similar ways.

Dickster 27, what can I say. The guy has always been there for carb help, and like Bubba, just good old fashioned encouragement. After hours off and on troubleshooting a problem over the phone I realized I didn't have what I need to fix my problem, but Dick did, and in the middle of the night allowed me to drive to the house and get what I needed.

Grumpy's hot rods, (Wally) he doesn't post much but like bubba he is a hands on guy who loves to help out. On more than one occasion he has listened to me complain about something not being quite right and jumped in to help me get back on track.

It is good to have guys like this local, and even better to call them friends!

Thanks guys!

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

ALOT of people in the mid-west, especially the Indy area, are going to be bummed when his house sells and he moves to TX......me included.

22. kisam

kisam

Brokenspoke- Brought me gas when I ran out!
    Brokenspoke- Donated a ton of parts for Tanya's build! She thinks he's Santa.

23. I can not begin to list all the guys and gals here that have helped me in one way or another! Tons of good folk.

24. That's fantastic Max.
    So far I have had a number of HAMBers hook me up with long lost rodding buddies I haven't spoken to in years. I have been out of the loop for various reasons for a long time. I was able to call these people via HAMBers going out of their way to drop in shops or posting or forwarding me information via PMs, phone numbers or contact info.
    They have really helped bring back many happy memories and lots of laughs. Even a re-union with a group for next year. Thanks guys.

25. Act 1)

Earl Schieb sent me a Glove Box Lock Cylinder for my Caddy. The only catch was I had to send Ryan the cash for the part.

God Bless Earl Schieb

Act 2 through 60)

Uncle Max has sent every part I needed for rebuilding my Stromberg 97's. This man is top notch. I love the way Max handles business. He is numoro uno for all my carb needs.

Thanks uncle max for your time and knowledge!!!

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Awesome story - way to go !

27. pitman

pitman

Where to begin? The Tech knowledge shared by Squirrel, which pried me back into the shop after a long hiatus. C9 for his fabulous :D guidance via photos and project reports, and BrianAngus...(anyone mention the frame thread?) The support you can find here is second to none!
    Then there's our rodder Andy Dunn...

28. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Dont you know it. I hate it that Dick is moving, but I understand why. He is a family man, and that is where his family is, I cant fault him for that.

29. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Same here...I try to give back when ever and where ever I can because this is such a great place with awesome people!:cool:
    Thanks!!!

30. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

You've got to be kidding? There are SO many on here. When my dumb ass ran off the road in May and totaled my car, by the time I got home from the hospital, "lowcab" had posted up the info and "Scary Larry" & "Johnny Ace & Kali" already had auction/fund raisers going. There were several others besides the people that bid that stepped up and helped out. Add to that, I wound up buying our 1963 Impala wagon from "gasser57"....it's just unbelievable!
    As well as the financial support, the people here offer advice and encouragement on a daily basis. Ryan has created a "MONSTER." Thankfully, it's a good monster. Profound thanks to everyone.....