Register now to get rid of these ads!

License Plate Gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 5, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Curt Six

Curt Six

Cool article. Kaiser and Pontiac overriders are definitely cool looking on 50's customs...easy to mold into most bumpers, and look smooth. It seems like 40's customs are trickier because the bumpers have a thinner, lighter appearance. I've got a Poncho overrider and it's just too heavy looking to use on the bumper of my '41 Buick. I know sinking it into the decklid is traditional, but I've never been crazy about the way it interrupts the flow of the decklid. Works on some cars though...

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I'm trying right now how to put the plates on my 54F100 custom and make them look good.

4. Gnashty1

Gnashty1

The article is from November '57 and talks of "the early street rod days". That's 13 years before the National Street Rod Association was formed.

I thought the "street rod" term was newer than that, or maybe the definition has evolved.

Leave it to Ryan to include a terminology history lesson in a license plate article.

My ignorance is great.

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for scanning that, Boss.
    It's true, lazy or mindless placement of the license plate always screws up ANY good looking car. I always appreciate the car manufacturers who took that into consideration, Kaiser, Cadillac, some Fords and even Hudson comes to mind.
    One of my pet peeves is how it fits though. Sure license plates have changed a lot over the years, but nothing looks dumber than a license plate floating in a hole it doesn't belong in ... like a square peg in a round hole. That's the hurdle to overcome in my mind. Shit, just more stuff to consider as my build progresses. If I keep this up, I'm going to come to a screeching halt ... no, wait, I already have. Damn these stylistic considerations!! Damn them!

6. Probably more 49 Chev front license guards been used tha any other over the years....They look super....

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

When we built the frame, I welded a couple of receivers on the cross member that took 1-1/4" square tubing. The license plate and car club plaque are easily removed and I can install a luggage rack into the receivers and reinstall the license and plaque on the rack.

Attached Files:

8. Also, if you are creative with this, you can thwart the spy cameras that are becoming the norm these days.

9. 49coupe

49coupe

This is probably a really unappreciated art on most kustoms these days. Guys then went through great lengths to tastefully integrate two unattractive “must have pieces” on any car; exhaust and license plates. Both are ugly and add nothing to improve the look of a car.

IMHO, 3” pipes sticking out of the car with a tunneled license plate cavity on the trunk are not much of an improvement over stock. Looking back at ‘50s solutions car be inspiring. I find too many people engage in bolt-on kustomizing and not enough fabrication and working on YOUR ideas. (…No one on here of course:D). Just because they make repop Chevy guards and make license plate tunneling kits doesn’t mean we all have to run one. I kind of like the idea of retractable license plates that are available today since it hides the plate when not in use.

10. autobilly

autobilly

Good looking and practical solutions for HAMB hoodlums.

11. joebuick

joebuick

the car on the bottom left of the last page has got to have one of the best ass ends i have ever seen

12. plmczy

plmczy

Thats weird, I always thought that frenching the plate into the trunk lid was a streetrodder thing. I like the kaiser overider idea but trying to find a reasonable priced one is out of the question I believe. Anybody have anyother ideas other than what is pictured here in the story? later shawn

13. Chad s

Chad s

Curt, check out a 49 chevy bumper overrider. I agree, dont mess with the deck lid.

I personally like a plate with just a nice stainless thin frame sitting between a pair of bumper guards with the tails lights build into them.

I have a Kaiser guard sitting on my desk at work, one of these days it will make it onto something.