Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A/4 Project Update #4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Its been a long while since posting anything about the car. Today has been the first day in the last 6 - 8 Months in the sunlight. I have been working my tail off for the last few months making as much progress as I can before the year end. (Sorry to the HAMB Chop car...but she's next after I get this one on the road :) )

It started as (and still is in some respects) a 28 Sports coupe (Thanks 'Link'), that was destined to the scrap heap, but with a little determination and hard work, its become what it is today.

I have always wanted a roadster, but time and money never were on my side. When the money was there, nothing could be found...vice versa. So I decided to go my way with the car to achieve close to what I have always wanted. Im focusing on a Pre-war Salt Racer Look.

Im so happy w/ this car, I cant wait for the chance to fire it off to take it down the road.

The car will be powered by 4-Banger w/ dual 97's, B-Cam, Early Cast Iron Winfield Head, Deuce distributor and lakes header (which is on the stand ready to be installed); has 39 Trans for gear changes, Kiwi Quickchange 3:48/4:11 gear set, Deuce Truck grill, 38' Ford Super Deluxe Dash, 40' steering wheel and 35/36 Wires Powder Coated to match orignal Ford gauges in dash 'Gold'.. Lengthened trunk area another 4-5 inches (yeah I know...roadster wannabe :) ), Roadster Stanctions (thanks Hamber for tech) and 4" chopped Roadster Windshield. Doors were cut off, narrowed, beaded and topped. Custom inner door top panels formed to wrap into the dash.

There is so much more to do; Im will make a convert. top and side curtains for the car, Install the motor, brakes and electrical. but it should be a breeze compared to what I have already done. :eek:

Ill keep posting updates as I move along.

Huge thanks to Vaphead at Riley Automotive; for the parts and awesome service.

My goal is to be running and driving by mid December.

Enjoy.

P.s.: I need an early electrical tachometer to fill my clock hole in the dash !

BEFORE - Body Only!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TODAY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elwood blues

elwood blues

looks good! great job with what you started with

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Looks good, post some more pictures when you get a chance.

4. mushmouth

mushmouth
    from Minnesota

I'm sure you had alot of nay sayers when you started that project. Good job, you must love to work. Alot.:D

5. Wildfire

Wildfire

Looking great!

6. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Looks good, I never get tired of cool model A's!
    -Anthony

7. Great progress!

You're making chicken soup outta chicken poop!

Sam.

8. Thanks, Ill keep posting updates to this thread.

9. Kojak

Kojak

Kool Beans Pineapple!!!

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

on one hand, I'm sad to see another sport coupe become a roadster... but on the other hand I am very impressed with what you have accomplished with a body that many people would toss into the scrappers.

very cool A, keep up the good work

11. pitman

pitman

Looked over a '30 sport coupe relic recently. As in rusted relic. You have put together a fine version...it looks like the lines will be sweet.
    Please keep us up to date, the progress and story are grand!

12. :eek: WoW...that is some project your doing...Great work...Thanks for the pics. :) I totally wish I had gone to Vo-Tech for all of this stuff!!!
    Sandy

13. elcornus

elcornus

WOW! :eek:

Last time I saw this thing Norm, it looked even worse than the before photos show.:rolleyes:

Now, after countless hours of back breaking work, you've turned a pile of rusty shit metal into a future work of art!

Can't wait to see your smiling face driving this car at the "Paso-Maria" show in '08:D

If you need anything machined for it, let me know.
    I'll hook you up with the "good guy" discount:cool:

14. 540chitty31

540chitty31
    from Virginia

Question _ Is the truck cab in the first few pics available for sale or trade?

Thanks

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

nice job getting the deck stretched out
    when i made the body line for mine
    i used a piece of round tubing...sliced it in a bandsaw...so i had 2 C shaped pieces
    then hammered them slightly flatter bend and twisted this to the shape, welded it to the body (slightly on the side of the quarters near the front but ontop around the back)

...then made an L shape from flat sheet and capped off the back of the interior area shaping the L with a shrinker/stretcher
    also i continued the T strip up the back of the interior with a piece of brake line hammered flat and tacked into place

keep up the goos work
    the doors like good

Zach

16. Looks very traditional with that dash!! I have 2 old mechanical Tachs, One with a tattletale.

17. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

VERY NICE!
    It's a lot better than the way you described it! The dash is inspiring!

18. Thanks for the compliments guys. Sure means alot to the confidence level. :) Im going to keep posting updates to the car to this post as I keep moving forward.

SUHRsc, the brake line idea is great. I ordered a piece of T strip from SAc. Vin. Ford and they failed to tell me its aluminum. Ugh! Thanks too for the idea on making the 1/2 round body line behind the seat. I have been ponding to go with metal or just line it with a nice wood.

A small update: Finished the windshield posts for now. Started to mock up the steering, but realized I got to get the seat in to figure out where the wheel is going to end up... :eek:

Im going to move on to mounting the seat and getting the top fabricated along w/ the header.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been so moist in the air lately, its been tough keeping the surface rust out. I'll eventually treat it w/ some etching acid to get it clean before I etch prime it.

Should I keep or shave the gas tank filler? The tank is cut out.

19. I may take you up on the machine work, got plans that will need it :)

20. what did you use to make the doors look like roadster doors
    p.m. me please
    tk

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Very nice work. I love the dash!

22. Another update to report. Nothing large. I started on my top irons. Im making them from scratch. Lots of cardboard templates; flip/flopping and making sure they will work for my needs.

Im going to mount the bows and header on tomorrow and chop the very top down another 2 more inches.

Overall, im very excited Im this far with it. It's getting closer and closer to looking like a roadster. :)

Sorry: With all the "gobble-d-gook" in the background, I know it's hard to see them.

Attached Files:

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second the dash, though are you sure its a deluxe dash? Its the same out of my standard 38 coupe. But then again maybe its just an Aussy thing?

24. I was told it was, I have all the chrome garnish for it. If not, that's okay. I still like it. :)

25. Noland

Noland

Thats come along quite nicely

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said, it still looks good. any A realy needs a dash like that, this one I love.
    [​IMG]

27. Rusty

Rusty

This is starting to shape up

28. for a 60's hot rod, that would look cherry. Not a chevy fan, but the dash does look great. :)

29. Another late night in the garage.

I got the convertable top frame 99% completed. Have a few more holes to drill for the top bow and maybe some adjustments but overall its fully functional...up and down.

Still debating on a rear bow...I dont think im going to need it since my head clears nicely :)

My buddy said it couldnt be done...IN YOUR FACE!

When all upholstered, Ill have 9-10" side windows, with the header down a little, 9.5" windshield view.

A tight fit getting in, but nice overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]