Register now to get rid of these ads!

SUHR S&C Track Roadster update #1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, Jul 31, 2007.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

[​IMG]

As I'm sure many of you know. I've been doing alot of research lately. Throwing ideas around, drawing pictures, reading books, just lots and lots of thinking.
    All of this has been leading up to starting a new project. I have the oppertunity to go into this build with a clean slate and alot of brand new parts.
    When my last project left I took a bit of money and picked up a new Brookville 28 roadster body and i set aside a little cushion to build this car. While its not near enough to bring it to completion, its enough to get me rolling with out having to deal with a rusted out hulk of a foundation mixed with bent and beat up parts.
    I've been torn with my feelings on building a reproduction body. But I've come to the conclusion that, this is not a real old car. I'm going to be building almost the entire car from scratch with new metal. So why not start with a body thats built from new metal but meets the original dimensions of a real Henry Ford "Model-A". Besides, in the past it was easier to go find a nice "non-rusted" body.
    My plans for the car are to stick to a build date of 1949 as closely as possible. The style will be a cross between a track roadster and a lakes roadster. I'm picturing this car as one built in a well equipped home shop. Built with knowledge gained from working during WWII. Inspiration, influence and knowledge passed down from previous generations of car builders and drivers.

In reality its just me Zach Suhr, 25 years old, here in 2007 with a pile of old books and a desire to travel back in time.
    I'm intending to keep up to date with posts every so often as i complete steps along the way. I'll always welcome input and ideas that anyone may have. My goal is to build the best car i can with the technology of the past.

I hope everyone enjoys the updates.
    thanks,
    Zach

[​IMG]

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Here is what i have done so far.
    I took quite a while to decide on a frame design. What i finally came up with is a chromolly tube frame. The main rails are 2.25" O.D. .120 wall and the support rails are 1.25" .095 wall all 4130-N tubing.
    I'm basing the car on a 110" wheel base. The springs will be hung on the end crossmembers with a perch. The rear spring infront of the axle and the front over top. The body will not be channeled on the frame but a belly pan will be added to hide the rails.
    I'm stopped for a few days while i gather some more information and parts. so the frame is just the perimeter sitting on the axles. Its entirely welded in a jig that i made from an old pallet cart and appears to be almost perfectly square and level.
    I found a geometry book ©1943 that i used alot in figuring the cuts and angles on the frame. I'm really happy with how it came out. This is the first complete frame that i have built. So needless to say, i was a bit worried trying to get it square. Plus the added factor of the round tubing didnt help in measuring. I have built alot of BMX bicycle frames so i was not going into this tube fitting entirely blind though. All in all i think it took about 4 days so far to complete to this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...wowzer...:cool:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Wildfire

Wildfire

Looks great Zach!

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I second that . That is looking good.
    Is it going to have a belly pan?

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks guys
    hiboy32, yes it will have a belly pan of sorts....atleast sides to simulate one to hide the frame.

7. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

I thought I was the only one with a garage that small, that's why all I build are modifieds. Great looking project, be very interesting to watch this build, nice job.

8. 25Thobbyist

25Thobbyist

Very Nice indeed.....

Keep us up to date with lots of photo's :)

25Thobbyist

9. Looks like a good start.

I'm assuming a Flathead will go between the rails?

10. klazurfer

klazurfer

This sure will be a cool thread to follow:)
    NICE work so far !
    Klaz:)

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks,
    yes, almost defonitely flathead V8 powered.

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks good Zach

13. Looking good as always.

where are the headlights going though!?!

14. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

who knows!!!! :confused:
    thats why i didnt put a picture of the front

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Very nice. You amaze !

16. Rusty

Rusty

Cool!! Love the updates

Rusty

17. banjorear

banjorear

Zach:

Really, really cool stuff. Talk to you soon.

Tim

18. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Nice work Zach

Keep the pictures coming

Banger or flathead?

I guess I need to read the whole post...stepping up to a V8 are you?

19. rustybucket

rustybucket

Very nice Zach.

Great introduction to the new project. Looking forward to updates. The frame looks great!

Chris

20. I like that so far very nice. Looking forward to updates as well.

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

More cars should be built with tube frames. Glad to see you went for it.

22. arkracing

arkracing

Awesome :eek:

So - how hard is it to weld that 4130-N Chromoly?? Lots of practice I assume, Doesn't it have to be stress relieved by heating and slow cooling or somthing? Maybe I'm thinking of something differant.

Looks great - when you get big can I have a job?:eek:

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm sure it will be bad ass, although that last one is alot to live up to! :D

24. chop&drop

chop&drop

Zach,
    Great classic design. With the exception of the Duvall style windshield it looks very much like the Bill Niekamp roadster, built in 1949, it was the the 1st winner of the AMBR trophy in 1950. The Niekamp roadster is truly a classic hot rod, and was, I believe, built by another "regular guy" in his garage. Obviously, it can be done!

I'm looking forward to your updates. It should be an awesome car when complete.

25. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks everyone for the good words and thanks Ryan for the comment on the jalopyjournal
    arkracing...the 4130 welds very easily when its nice and clean....after alot of research i decided against the post heating of the frame...i dont think its necissary in this application with this thick of tubing
    chop&drop....obviously Bill Niekamp's car is a big inspiration for this one. I'm really drawing alot from all of the classic "track nosed" cars of that late 40's/early 50's time period
    The nose will probably be something more similar to Eddie Dye's

Dye and Niekamp both had their's built by Whitey Clayton who is pretty much my idol when it comes to this metal shaping
    I'm hoping this car comes out looking reminiscent of his style and handiwork....

26. GARY?

GARY?

Awesome frame. I dig the pierced tubes at the back. Looks well very well thought out.
    Thanks for sharing, Gary

27. Cool looking ride, Zach! Keep us up to date.

28. retro54

retro54
    from PA

hahaha... man gotta love the intro to the project... gonna be fun watching this one... of course, I can have a front row seat if I want :)

29. plmczy

plmczy

Looks like it will be a cool build, good luck,I'll be watching this thread. later shawn

30. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The first hot rod I read about in Hot Rod Magazine was Bill Niekamps roadster. It's what got the juices flowing in a 12 year old kid and 51 years later nothing is more inspiring when it comes to traditional hot rodding.
    Maybe I'll get to live the dream through your build.

Frank