Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Daily Driver Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. belair

belair

I enjoyed driving my 48 chevy as a DD. It's getting disc brakes so maye next time I can stop for the idiot who turns left across 3 lanes in front of me. I like Steve Earle, but all I needed to hear was that flattie going up and down.

2. big creep

big creep

that thing is badass! makes me wish for one everyday! there is on for sale around my town and its cherry! but the 30 grand price tag makes it a only a dream right now! one day, i hope?

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Good stuff! The roads around Dripping Springs are always fun to drive.

I used to work off of Fitzhugh. I'm now up in Cedar Park and very glad I don't have to deal with Austin traffic on a daily basis I can feel my blood pressure rise every time I do. Austin traffic isn't getting any better.

I look forward to the post on installing an Ipod system.

4. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

"But this is a ‘39 Ford and it drives like a ‘39 Ford and that’s exactly what I want."

Well said. I'm lucky that I get to drive a few from different decades, each one has its own unique characteristics and wonder why anyone would want to make a vintage car drive like something new. In that environment sitting in traffic never seems to be a negative.

I do understand the nervous downtown drive, I remember when I switched jobs a few years ago a scenic drive and safe parking lots were literally on the plus list.

Nice job Ryan.

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Watching that video just now made my blood pressure drop noticably. I think you have just given me the resolve to put my old '62 newport on the road and park my late model.
    My wife's Falcon is on deck, but I can start planning my car, right?

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Damb Ryan, that video was an un-expected, very pleasurable minute and a half this morning. Coming from YOU, these types of posts are the only way, unfortunately, that SOME of us will ever get a small peek inside YOUR very cool world...it's much-appreciated from me, for sure. Loved "the adventure" to California, too. Just a little more welcome understanding of the "boss" for some of us who don't get to "play" with you every day. Keep 'em comin'! DD

7. Cool.

A couple questions... what kind of mileage do you get?

...and what about seat belts? Did you put seat belts in it? Or do any other safety things like brighter tail lights or halogen head lights?

I wish I had the balls to drive an old car daily. I did when I was younger... but now I like the performance and comfort of my '10 Camaro. :D

Plus... it makes it really special when I do hop in one of my old cars and hit the key. The "difference" is resounding.

So... another question... is the coupe seem a little more "normal" or not as big of a difference now when you get it in?

Sam

8. grapp

grapp

I used to drive my 40 Buick 40 series everyday for about a year and loved it, Like Ryan says it does sooth your nerves. Now I have my 65 Mustang and I drive that ALot but not everyday I shouldn't have made it so loud lol.

Ryan, once you change that glass, you will have a whole new outlook! and you'll wonder why it took so long.
    Greg

9. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Man O man, this thread sure puts a fire under my ass. I recently started working from home and have really been thinking about selling my late model daily(now that I don't have a 70 mile commute every day) and dumping that money into one of my projects to make it daily-able.

10. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

All of my old cars started life as daily drivers. My 53 Victoria for 3 years, and the 68 300 convertible for two. The snow and salt here eventually retired them to part time status. Your kids will remember those rides to school their whole lives.

11. eddie1

eddie1

Ryan, I think I have posted before about how much I like your 39. If I haven't I have meant to & I am even more jealous because you can drive it every day. In my neck of the woods no heat is not practicle, we do see snow occasionaly, and traffic does not allow. I could communte worry free but I commute with my wife who carries on another 45 minutes into the city in bumper to bumper traffic.
    So in short, I am jealous of your car, your climate, & your commute!:D

12. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

I don't think you can claim that you run bias plys "in all types of weather" when you live in Texas.

Perhaps you should see what my daily drive is like these days in Manitoba.

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Its good to know some of us still drive ours more than just on the weekend. Mine has been put into daily 4 times in the last year due to modern vehicle failure. Months at a time at that. 20 degrees to 110 she always is there everytime I hit that button to start her up. I agree with you guys nothing like driving a old car or truck any day, the thumbs up outweigh all costs.

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

...even caught the green light this morning... life is good.

15. While I don't call any of my old cars daily drivers in the winter, I have likely made thirty plus short trips this December in my old cars, including when it is raining. Like you I hate driving in a real city, San Francisco for me, but all the other towns around here are just fine for driving an old car. ...but you have a nice commute there in Austin.

16. Since I gave my son my 93 Chevy Pick-up,which used to be my daily,i've been driving the '38 Pick-up as my daily. 10,000miles so far!!!! Wouldn't change it for anything! Well......maybe for another Hotrod,hahaha!

17. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Remember the Spanish Fly?
    Bobby drove that Ford in some of the heaviest traffic this world encounters, Can you say California?(Tejas does have some traffic)
    If I recall, he had a Columbia two speed rear axle assy.
    It did have a back seat, and could haul four grown(?) men faster than a Lexus could fly.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice that you're still going strong... kudos. I've been trying to take the Buick off for a little bit while I try and finish the interior and a few other things.

That dude makes a great sandwich. :D

19. mgbtc

mgbtc

You made the responsible choice. Anyone can make a down payment and be trapped in a car that says nothing to any body on the road. Your 39 says something! Great job

20. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Kudos...saw you pulling out of Walgreens last Wednesday AM on my way to Wimberley.

A 'little' newer but I've been driving my 72 GMC pretty much everyday since I get it in March...I love it, don't miss the 95 chevy at all...well maybe the gas mileage!

Keep at it!

21. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Yeah, good for Ryan but if he had caught the RED, we peons would have had the pleasure of hearing that new flatty goin' through the gears. DD[​IMG]

22. This is so inspiring. I'll be Daily driving the A when it is done.

23. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

24. veedolpaul

veedolpaul

As I sit here looking out window at a slush covered street, I can only wish I could cruise one of my old trucks today. one of them is blocked in by a 4 foot snow drift. Besides, some broad on her cell would probably slide into me anyway.

25. Man, I love that '39. That story is an inspiration to drive them as much as possible.
    The video rules. What kind of exhaust?

26. Nice car, payments are for regular people! I would put a neat old heater in it. but I live far north of texas.
    My kids love riding in old stuff, their mother is a ford dealer and has new stuff all the time, they would much rather ride in somthing cool and old.
    I hate road salt but I refuse to be a hostage to it, i wash under my stuff all the time.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  27. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

My '49 will never see regular daily driver duties. My next car, however, will be strictly regulated to daily driver status. I will start looking soon for a '60-'63 Galaxie 2-door. Nothing radical, nothing spectacular...just low and comfy.

28. onedge

onedge

Truly sounds like you have it covered. The new truck payment thing the fellas have already covered it.

"I was born without the ability to smell, so I get really paranoid by every noise I hear."

I'm the same way...I can sure relate to that, the Ipod will make it go away.

Steve Earle playing on vid..dang it PC doesnt have a sound card right now.

Good job Ryan!

29. catdad49

catdad49

Ryan, drive em if ya gotta em. Had a 42 Ford coupe for awhile with Sears WW bias plys. Flatspotted overnight in cold weather, but only took a mile or so to warm up! Lived in a small town in upstate N.Y. at time and even drove it one mild winter. The wife and girls called her Ugly Car ( real name Suzie Q), but all their friends thought she was cool. Good luck and continue to enjoy your old car, Cat

30. Ryan,
    There is nothing in the world wrong with driving an old car every day, they were originaly driven everyday. To drive a worn out car every day is a different story. But of the two of us only one would set out in an old worn out vehicle. ;)

Called an old friend in Redwood City and asked about the Potvin 20. He initially said ask the Ol' Man so I told him that I had my ultra long distance disconnected. He laughed and said to the best of his recollection the Potvin 20 was just a cam blank to be used for grinding, but the only people he knew that could give the definative answer to that question were no longer with us.

Anyway I'm proud of ya son, drive the wheels off that Ol' Ford.