Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Daily Driver Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 29, 2010.

1. toucan

toucan
    from sc

man i checked the oil , good to go!went and road around for hours! had a blast!

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Don't let your guard down. A lot of the worst accidents happen out in the country. Speeds can be much higher and that makes things a lot worse. In the city, it's more difficult to get a lot of speed up and your guard is likely already on higher alert. Just like with tools, as soon as you let your guard down, that's when the bad things happen.

There might be a lot more fender benders in the city, but the truly nasty accidents happen out on the open roads; drunks, people falling asleep, hitting deer at 70mph, etc. But, like I mentioned before, keeping your guard up as much as possible, drive defensively always and drive within the limits of reasonable comfort is the best way to give yourself the most safety no matter what or where you are driving. Accidents can still happen TO you though and some will just flat out be a matter of chance.

With that said, I drove slower and more alert in my old trucks than with my daily because I have too. But doing that I find is also more relaxing in general. Just a different and more relaxing mindset. Unfortunately my old truck just isn't enough vehicle for a family with 2 small kids that need to be in car seats. So, I myself have a newer 4 door car for that stuff. I could have gotten an old car, but honestly just don't want too many projects to have to keep on top of. If the daily needs something, it goes to the shop and I let it be somebody else's problem. That leaves me to work on my trucks when I want to, not because I have to.

3. Mattilac

Mattilac

Ryan, you lack the sense of smell?

4. Labold

Labold

Sometimes a little "windshield time" is just what the doctor ordered.

5. wood470

wood470

In the seventies I drove a forty Ford woody as a daily driver over 30 miles each way to school each day for two years. Then from So Cal thru Colorado, The Dakotas, Washington, Oregon and back to LA. We then moved to Nor Cal and it was our families only car for a year or two. I finally bought some newer cars mostly because of the wet weather here and had to sell the woody to make ends meet in the 90's. The whole family out in the street crying as it left. Memories like that can't be relived but if you are afraid to drive em why have em. If any one knows of an old woody for sale let me know.

6. wood470

wood470

In the seventies I drove a forty Ford woody as a daily driver over 30 miles each way to school each day for two years. Then from So Cal thru Colorado, The Dakotas, Washington, Oregon and back to LA. We then moved to Nor Cal and it was our families only car for a year or two. I finally bought some newer cars mostly because of the wet weather here and had to sell the woody to make ends meet in the 90's. The whole family out in the street crying as it left. Memories like that can't be relived but if you are afraid to drive em why have em. If any one knows of an old woody for sale let me know.

7. Ryan, thanks for showing everyone how its done!

Put that new glass in. It isn't so bad, just warm the rubber seals up in hot water and get the spray bottle out with lots of soapy water. And don't tighten the window trim up too much on the windshield.........ask me how I know this!

Driving an old car is therapy for the modern world, especially for those of us with grey hair that grew up in the 50's. Of course you need to be on a nice old two lane road in the country to really enjoy it. Being on the freeway during rush hour just doesn't cut it.......

Thinking about old cars is what keeps our gears spinning and not thinking about the worthless shit you see everyday......

I was nuts about cars from about the second grade and I was the last kid picked for every sport (and yes, every time!) at Hayward Elementary School and so it its been all cars, all the time for me too. When I was in third grade I wrote a letter to Ford Motor Company asking how I would get a job there designing cars and I actually got a nice letter from a Ford Vice President telling me to do good in school and excel at math. I wish I still had that old letter.......too bad I sucked at math!

I'm looking forward to getting my old gennie '34 coupe and driving it down here now that I'm in a good climate (except this week - it snowed 10 inches). When I'm driving that car I'm thinking about all the miles its covered and the lives its touched since the day it rolled off the dealers showroom floor. It's my time machine......

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

You are so right.I ride my old bike or drive the cruiser and I'm in MY Zone.There's more than 1 lane,go the f#@k around kinda bliss is what I have.

BTW Ryan,When I had my Cord 810,I bought a boom box and set it in the boot.When i was at a car show,I'd park it in the trunk.

9. rustyangels

rustyangels

Steve Earle, Darlin' Commit Me

10. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

This is awesome!!! Thanks Ryan for documenting this!! Gus

11. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

That's probably where I first saw them and just forgot!