Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

Default Wayne 12 port question

After having read the 12 port story and a bunch of other information I was wondering if someone could tell me exactly how many Wayne 12 ports were made for the GMC 302 and exactly what one would be worth today. Thanks.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
hobbyjp
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Wayne 12 port question

not sure on exact numbers but I think it was somewhere between 500 and 1000 might have been even less. I could be completely wrong though too. last time I saw a 12 port head it sold with the engine for 10,000(engine itself was maybe worth 500). From what I know there were a few different company's that made versions of the 12 port head. I think Arias has a newer version of a 12 port head. If someone had a mill or a cnc and either alot of time or some spare cash Im pretty sure you could make one from scratch.
Heres some pics of a fontana 12 port head that I saved in my pic archive.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
s55mercury66

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Nick Arias involved with Wayne back in the '50's also?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

Hmm thank you very interesting. I am interested in the original production from Wayne but it sounds like that was very limited. hobbyjp am I correct in understanding that were you to have a cnc machine the plans for a 12 port are somehow available in order to create one?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
RichFox
Alliance Member

The Arias head is a continuation of the Howard 12 port head. Howard told me that he made 20-25 of those heads. One of which I got. I believe Don Ferguson has the patterns for the Wayne head. Some time age Charlie Baker was making reproductions of the Hourning 12 port GMC head, two of which I owned. Maybe Don has those patterns now also. My understanding is that real Wayne GMC heads are iron. Later castings are aluminum.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
hobbyjp
Grenade Inspector

There may be plans somewhere, a few years ago there was talk about who had the actual wood patterns to cast a new head. I just saw another post about 12 port heads and there have been many posts over the years. The heads in the pictures above belonged to 38FLATTIE and was listed in the classifieds for 6 grand. I dont think patterns exist but you also cant think inside the box and assume that you need CNC plans to make something like the head above. it is essentially a rectangular piece of aluminum with no combustion chanmber and straight holes drilled through it. you could use a standard head to figure out where holes need to be drilled and were to put your valves. Another process that has been done with 292s is cutting up v8 cylinder heads and welding them together to get a 12 port head.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
OoltewahSpeedShop
Alliance Member

Search for CNC Dude on here, he's supposedly building a 12 port head. I don't know any details, but saw it on his profile.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
RichFox
Alliance Member

As far as I know the Skinner/Fontana head is still, more or less, in production. I also think you can get new Arias/Howard heads. All of the heads discussed have water jackets and could not be made as a one piece CNC part. If you are serious about a Wayne head I would suggest you contact Paramount Forge and see if they can help. If you want any 12 port head try Arias or Fontana

Last edited by RichFox; 03-29-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

Ok could someone here please tell me what run they think this is exactly?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
RichFox
Alliance Member

It's hard to see. Are the intake ports in pairs or 6 equal spaced? Are they at 90 degrees to the deck surface or closer to 45? It is a GMC and not a Chevy, right? Is the head iron or aluminum? It kind of looks like a Wayne Chevy from here.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

GMC 302 as stamped on dist pad. It looked to be at 90 degrees to me. Dont know the head material I didnt get to see it long enough to know.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

The only other pic I have of it. Malory dist Wayne exhaust manifold and Mcgurk valve cover.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
incogneto
FNG

It looks like a GMC 12 port to me. The spark plugs enter the head from vertical, the head bolts are evident between the intake and valve cover, it takes a stock valve cover (in the case its what looks like a McGurk) and the intake ports are not at 45 degrees to the block..

Great looking engine.

Whats it in?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

Not sure it was in some pickup stuffed in the back of a barn and covered in junk
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
RichFox
Alliance Member

If it's a GMC it looks like a Wayne head. If it's iron then Wayne Hourning made it, i think.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
s55mercury66

Rich, would it be correct to say that all the aluminum ones produced after Horning, were the few produced by Hoy Stevens?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Normbc9

The 12 Port in the red car i still racing with Algon Injection. The other is a complete kit that I saw and it was for sale for $15,000. and the owner wasn't interested in taking less. BUT... they do make the 302 a real competitor even in this era. Sissell's in West Covina has made a screamer out of the stronger Chevy 292's also.
Normbc9
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayne head for GMC302.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1900656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norms58GMC302Horningalgoninjedction..jpg
Views:	120
Size:	490.6 KB
ID:	1900657  
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Putputboom
Grenade Inspector

Thanks for the information its quite fascinating. I am surprised to hear how ever that the 292 Chevy is stronger and curious as to why that might be. The engine I have seen didnt appear to be at a 45 degree angle as pictured here so I am assuming it must be a later version.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
RichFox
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s55mercury66 View Post
Rich, would it be correct to say that all the aluminum ones produced after Horning, were the few produced by Hoy Stevens?
Charlie Baker had about 5 or 6 cast after he bought the patterns from Hoy Stevens. I bought one from him as did Don Kinkaid (publisher of the 12 Port News until his death) Don ran his at the drags extensively in his Model A coupe. Eventually he sold it to me. I had mine in Bob Dalton's streamliner at the time. It blew out a spark plug at Bonneville and we installed Don's head. Blew the head gasket. As far as I know these were the only two of Charlies heads that ever ran. The castings were very poor and more work than they were worth. California Bill Fisher (he told me he hated being called that) owned the patterns before Hoy and I know he made several aluminum heads. I'm not sure that Hoy ever made any.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
RichFox
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normbc9 View Post
The 12 Port in the red car i still racing with Algon Injection. The other is a complete kit that I saw and it was for sale for $15,000. and the owner wasn't interested in taking less. BUT... they do make the 302 a real competitor even in this era. Sissell's in West Covina has made a screamer out of the stronger Chevy 292's also.
Normbc9
I was under the impression that Wayne GMC heads had the port faces at 90 degrees to the deck surface. Maybe not. I know the Chevys were at 45 or so. Interesting.