Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > Traditional Hot Rods

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
hotrodfil

Default My "1927 Mercury" phantom - not a hotrod...

Posted this over on the Fordbarn but thought I'd copy it here since this is where it was 'christened' by our man Dave - Bigcheese 327.

It's evolved out of parts I've acquired along the way. Long time happening this one.
Started this eons ago. I had a stock 1927T Tourer. Well - most of one...

After failing to sell it around 2005, I bought all the interior, sheetmetal bits and top to get it finished. I decided to make it quicker and fit the running gear I'd bought from an early RHD 1928 A roadster. Somehow along the line though I acquired another T chassis - and another '27 tourer body... Plan was an all T panelled creation on 100" wheelbase.

Well. That project failed to reach the road when real life stepped up and gave us a kicking. As a 40 year old widow with two young kids, my car plans changed. The engine eventually went in the Fordor for a while, and the extra Tourer body went to a friend.

Roll on to 2011 and the chance to buy back the Tourer tub was too tempting. I brought it home and started installing her on a completely stock (so far...) rolling 'A' chassis I'd acquired.

I decided to stick with the Model A wheelbase and build a longer bonnet. This would give me a little extra legroom. An early oval T tank sunk down under the front seat just fine. Rear wings were frankensteined from narrowed and shortened '28 A roadster ones. Smoothed out some of the dents and replace a couple of thin sections. Same on the body - the rear panel was particularly transparent in places but luckily I lent the body to a friend and metal guru/god ( Mindover on here - another Dave...) to take measurements from and he made me a replacement panel.

I rebuilt all the rear seat frame, opened up some boxes I've had since 2005 and tried out the seat springs.
I also opened another box from 2005 containing two new full height screen posts from Speedway only to discover... they'd sold me two offside ones. Arse. Probably a little late to complain.
Ah well - Pimms time.