Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 02-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #101
tomslik

Default Re: What bad things can happen if you leave your car running when u pump gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTYT
yea thats only fords that do that dumb shit. and you dont have to take it to the dealer you can just take the battery cable off for a few min to reset the computer.

no it's not and no you can't.....not on obd2 stuff.
that code is still there....
it has to do with the EVAP system and i'm not gonna go into that here....
but anybody with a obd2 compatible scanner can turn it off...
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #102
2xcrash
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: What bad things can happen if you leave your car running when u pump gas?

I worked at Mobil oil in torrance ca for 13+ years. I saw storage tanks hit by lighting and not go up in flames.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #103
RadioFlyer
Grenade Inspector

Yanno, the post regarding cowl fuel tanks is the only one that makes practical sense.

With "modern" cars, the fuel filler is at the rear of the vehicle, the exhaust typically exits elsewhere (modifed exhaust that may end up under a fuel fill aside). Exactly HOW is it possible to self ignite?

Scenario 1. Your buddy comes rolling up next to you while your pumping gas, he leaves his vehicle running while talking to you. You select wether he has his engine or exhasut near you.

Scenario 2. A car pulls up to the pump on the other side... Leaves it running and jumps into the store.

Scenario 3. A car drives around you to get to an empty pump/car parks next to you to jump into the store.

Scenario 4. A car pulls up, or backs to your rear bumper to get to fill at the other pump in 'your' fill lane. Especially if you have a rear fill.

Each of those scenarios puts an ignition source closer to you than your own engine is, especially scenario 4. So tell me again how leaving your vehicle running is a problem? If the law is safety driven, everybody should be required to turn off their engines X feet away from the pumps and push their car into the danger zone wether its to park by the door or fuel up.

Just some things to ponder.

Alex.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #104
rockabillyjoe

Just turn your damn cars off! You can deal with the cold for 3 minutes.!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #105
Fat ASS Whitewalls

Don't know if this has been posted, I didn't read through all the pages. http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #106
Big Pete
Grenade Inspector

Let me guess, the little blonde's name is "Amber" and if you rub her on silk sparks will fly every time.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #107
thecarfarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39
Another thing here is that on our newer cars and trucks pumping gas with the engine running sends a signal to the computer that something is amiss with the polution control business and can trigger the check engine light to come on and a trip to your dealer $$$$ to have him turn it off and tell you to shut the motor off when you pump gas. I know it's true on Mustangs could be on others.
Right. All OBD II cars will code if the gas cap is opened with the ignition on. They think it's a massive evap system leak.

-bill
Old 02-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #108
Fat Hack
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
Yanno, the post regarding cowl fuel tanks is the only one that makes practical sense.

With "modern" cars, the fuel filler is at the rear of the vehicle, the exhaust typically exits elsewhere (modifed exhaust that may end up under a fuel fill aside). Exactly HOW is it possible to self ignite?

Scenario 1. Your buddy comes rolling up next to you while your pumping gas, he leaves his vehicle running while talking to you. You select wether he has his engine or exhasut near you.

Scenario 2. A car pulls up to the pump on the other side... Leaves it running and jumps into the store.

Scenario 3. A car drives around you to get to an empty pump/car parks next to you to jump into the store.

Scenario 4. A car pulls up, or backs to your rear bumper to get to fill at the other pump in 'your' fill lane. Especially if you have a rear fill.

Each of those scenarios puts an ignition source closer to you than your own engine is, especially scenario 4. So tell me again how leaving your vehicle running is a problem? If the law is safety driven, everybody should be required to turn off their engines X feet away from the pumps and push their car into the danger zone wether its to park by the door or fuel up.

Just some things to ponder.

Alex.
This is exactly what I was saying yesterday to a buddy when we talking about this at his place! It doesn't do YOU any good to shut YOUR car off when there's one either idling, starting up, or driving by a few feet away...or some dumbass walking by with a cigarette in his mouth or any one of a dozen other possibilities!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #109
Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: What bad things can happen if you leave your car running when u pump gas?

DirtyT,

Several hambers have given you some great reasons to turn off you engine, when filling up your tank. If you don't like the gas stations rules go somewhere else. Good luck finding a station that likes you to keep your engine running. Stop being a baby about the weather, spring is just around the corner.

Cruiser 49
Old 02-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #110
mikeys toy

I did a tow on a semi that was driven over 20 miles after the front right tire blew.
It was only after the wheel caught fire that the driver decided to pull over.
The aluminum tanks melted down to the 3/4 mark, where the deisel fuel was. The fuel never burned.
We had some great solvent tanks for the month the truck was in our yard.....
1971 Plymouth Cricket SCCA car
1994 mazda b3000 (ford ranger)
2 more '71 Crickets
1964 Aristocrat lo-liner 10' camper trailer
Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #111
vintagehotrods

Location: formerly Crooks, South Dakota and now Prescott, AZ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimv
OK so i'm wrong, my mother was right!!I stand corrected.
How about someone who burped , sneezed & farted at the same time & died!!lol
Jim( looking foolish) V
Hey, I do that all the time and it doesn't kill me (actually it can feel pretty good at my age)
. But my wife kicks my ass when she has to wipe down anything that is within the "kill zone" and then wash my clothes!!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #112
pigpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Ernie
Lots of great bullshit on here....

Cellphones will not/can not ignite fumes - there are no sparks in your cellphone......

The Fire Chief in this CBS news article seems to think differently.

pigpen

Phone Ignites Gas Station Fire

NEW PALTZ, N.Y., May 14, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP / CBS)

"Don't use their cell phones when they're pumping gas. Really, it's deadly."
fire chief Patrick Koch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CBS/AP) Flames shot up around a 21-year-old college student whose cell phone rang while he was pumping gas.

Firefighters said Matthew Erhorn, a SUNY New Paltz student, received minor burns at a Mobil station near the New York State Thurway (Interstate 87) Thursday night.

"I'm very surprised," Erhorn said.

He shouldn't have been. There's a sign at the pumps at the New Paltz gas station warning that cell phones should be turned off for safety while pumping gas.

Firefighters believe the cell phone ignited vapors coming from the car's fuel tank as it was being filled.

It doesn't take much of a charge to ignite gasoline vapors, New Paltz fire chief Patrick Koch told WCBS-AM's Peter Haskell. "Anything, really. Women's nylon stockings when they get out of a vehicle, that can cause a spark, too."

That's why motorists are told "don't use their cell phones when they're pumping gas. Really, it's deadly," Koch said.

The fire was immediately put out by the service station's fire suppression system, using an oxygen-killing powder. That covered other cars in the gas station parking lot as well as nearby trees.

The station will remain closed until the system can be recharged.

New Paltz is about 75 miles north of New York City.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image617543x.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	273508  

Last edited by pigpen; 02-05-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #113
Flat Ernie
Tech Editor

That quote is often cited as "proof" - it was withdrawn within days. Here's the very first link on the search, but there's more. CBS aired a withdraw as well. It's pure fiction.

http://www.esdjournal.com/static/cell/nycellfire.htm

T5 Tech
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #114
RacerRick
Old School HAMBer

Old phones used to have minute sparks in the buttons when you pressed them. Newer ones don't. Most phones these days would pass Class 1 Div 2 specs.

I always turn my car off, just habit.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #115
belair
Old School HAMBer

Gas won't burn, the VAPORS do-just as was mentioned. And a spark is a LOT more likely to ignite the vapors than just heat. I've seen guys weld on gas tanks, but only if they were FULL!. (One guy, anyway)When we lived in Alaska, my dad would take a pan of gas and put it under my mom's wagon to warm up the oil. He said when it was real cold, the gas would just barely burn when he finally got it to ignite. But-watch the movie The Birds and see what happens (in the movies) to an innocent Buick when a guy smokes and fills up. It's a one in a million deal, but blowing yourself up probably sucks bad.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #116
Flat Ernie
Tech Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRick
Old phones used to have minute sparks in the buttons when you pressed them.
While I've never taken apart a circa 1980 "brick" or "suitcase" cell phone, none of the microprocessor phones use switches & haven't since the mid-80s - they use membrane carbon contacts that do not spark - just like your keyboard or home phone. Besides, there's not enough amperage in there to spark - you're talking sub-milliamp power...

You'd have to have a simultaneous cellphone battery explosion with fuel vapors in the right concentrations to have a remote chance of igniting it with a cellphone. Odds are the sparks would be almost wholly contained within the inital burst and contained within the cellphone body. Besides, if your cellphone battery explodes while against your ear, you've got other problems anyways - it just ain't your day.

T5 Tech
Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #117
BriggsBodied28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianangus
Its the law. If the kid lets you do it, he will get his ass fired. There have been istances before of very bad fires and explosions, with people killed. Don't believe everything you see on 'myth busters"
Don't believe Myth Busters???? Now this thread is gettin' crazy.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #118
DIRTYT
Old School HAMBer

guess what i got gas today with my truck running! ha i never learn. this post is gay as hell i regreat ever starting it i wish it would die. there should be a an abortion button.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #119
Matt Franklin
Alliance Member

There was an old cartoon with a huge lux roadster (Duesenburg, sp?) filling up. The attendant said, "Could you shut 'er off. She's gaining on me."

Anyway, potential engine fire, static, spark, backfire. The probability is low, but the consequences are high. It depends on the risk tolerance of the station owner. Those high consequences can really suck.