Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's all this noise I hear? The September banger meet, that's what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny69, Sep 1, 2008.

1. If you could that'd be great. I've had a couple of pics, but some dimensions of the bed sill sections would help no end - especially where the holes were! Guess I'd owe you a roll of packing tape then...

2. Michael_e

Michael_e

What water pumps were used on the HALs and converted model a & b motors that used the side drive pumps and magnetos?

Mike

3. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

This one was made by Rutherford. I think they are being reproduced. I'm looking for an intake for the same set up and I will ask around for the WP and Mag bracket if you would like.

[​IMG]

5. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

BANGER T-SHIRTS!!!

Sign me up for two, XL.

Phil

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Sorry, I didn't get to talk to the owner.

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Whilst we're trying to identify owners and their cars....

Anyone know the owners of these cars? A friend spoke to the two old guys who run these and wants to get back in touch with them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. If I can still jump in on the T-shirts, I need a 2X. vtwinsideways

9. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Artiki, anymore info. or pictures of the #7 roadster pick up? That thing is awesome.

10. Michael_e

Michael_e

Thanks Crazzydaddyo, i would be interested in who is remaking these and what was used originally. Were they a modified model t pump? Or did they come off some industrial motor or what? Just curious to know. That sure is one sweet looking banger there. Thanks,

Mike

11. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Heh, glad you're enjoying the monthly banger meet, it's my favourite hangout! Check out last month's banger meet because it was a really good one, being the end of summer etc: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283282

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

13. Crazydaddo,

Please put me down for 2 XL.

Thanks
    m4banger

14. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

I have a new engine and it looks like it's useable. More tomorrow, I have pics...

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Has anyone here used this water pump set up? I saw several of these pumps on cars this week end. It is a 12 volt bilge pump that pumps @ 30 gpm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. RussTee

RussTee

kiwi bangers
    hi all some pics of my bangers firstly b4 roadster pickup showing nisson distributor for monkey biker.

Attached Files:

17. RussTee

RussTee

kiwi bangers
    now the 27 roadster with t motor home built head using chev 4acrank shortened counterbalanced and drilled for full pressure shells deep sump twin carbs electronic disy in bosch front plate.

Attached Files:

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

RussTee.....seriously.....damn!

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Sorry, Firerod. They're all I have.

20. RussTee

RussTee

im not that good on the computer sooner build cars had to get young lad to help me load those pics

21. If you could get him to load some bigger pics all the better! Or email them to me and I'll post them for you - you have loads of stuff there to share thankyou very much. I'm loving that T RPU so much that the bed I was selling is off the market...

22. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Ok I opened both boxes of wood I have everything for a 28 29 pickup except what goes on the frame, and mine is missing that also. When I ordered the wood I asked for everything it needed. I think I got shorted 1 box of wood and it is too late to go back n argue about it now.
    another note on dizzys I use a bosch electronic out of a mid 80's bmw. they are cheap in junkyards here $25 at pick a part. turn down the lower housing on a lathe to 1 inch grind the gear on the bottom into a slot like a screwdriver blade, I use a MSD box with it and bosch blue coil. Fires instantly on 12 volts, dont know how it would work on 6 tho. one advantage it has vacuum advance on it could be made to work with a brass tube thru side of carb.
    sorry about the wood
    Ken

23. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Need a hand here,....I've been doing a lot of thining!!

Does anyone know the in's and out's of flipping the camshaft making the intakes the exhuast ports on a 4 banger? Timing, distributor setting, etc.?

Is it something you can do at home, or is it somethnig that is very in-depth that needs an engine builder who's done it before?

Also, has anyone used the sprayer system similar to Don Ferarra's 4 bagner engine used? IF so can you pm me or email me the details, etc.??
    (see link here)
    http://www.ahrf.com/image_detail.php?type=collection&position=15&CollectionID=39

Thanks a million guys!!!

24. ebtm3

ebtm3

Miller made a very few F heads where the intakes in the head were worked by an overhead cam, and all the valves in the block were exhausts. It has been written that they were a failure because the ports in the block that had been intakes when stock cracked due to the heat. Remember that with the port reversal idea, all the exhaust from TWO cylinders would have to go out one port. NOT a good idea. The only thing that would have to be made different inside the block, would be the cam. Of course, different manifolds would be needed. If you think that you need four intake ports, buy a OHV head with four intakes. Even though expensive, port reversal would probably cost you more, certainly in the long run, if not sooner.

As to the spraying system for rods- might be a very slight improvement over the stock system, but Chevy fours and sixes worked like that up until '53 and had rod trouble with remarkable regularity if overreved.
    Herb K

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

What you are refering to is reverse induction. To do this you need to have a reverse grind cam. If my memory is correct. You need a billet cam for this as you cant reverse grind a stock cam blank. Other then that nothing changes.

IMHO You can get away with this for short periods of time but the engine casting does not afford proper cooling to the new exhaust ports(stock intake ports). I have read where Winfeild tried this on sprint car engines. The engine would be fine for heat races (just a few laps) and overheat and crack the blocks in feature races (much more laps then heat races)

The results were that revese induction was good for drag race or the lakes. But not good for long events or the street.

26. The early Miller F-head was unsuccessfull because it turned ALL 6 ports in the block into exhaust ports. This caused a great deal of heat to be concentrated into a small area that was never designed to deal with that much heat.
    The 4's never had a problem with exhaust breathing, the problem is and always was with the intake breathing. Another reason why the Miller F-head was unsuccessfull and the Riley 2/4 Port so successfull!

Running the exhaust through the two intake ports actually works rather well. The two paired cylinders fire 180 degrees apart so never exhaust into the shared port at the same time.

Never heard of the of the Stovebolts having oiling issues, the complete opposite actually.

27. 36Brua

36Brua

maybe check this thread it could be of interest

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283267

28. RussTee

RussTee

crazydaddyo
    re the rutherford head you show it is similar to the one i have but different did slim rutherford make different designs and have you any information on him and how these heads perform thanks rusty

29. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I've been studying both the Don Ferrara pictures on the American Hot Rod Foudnation's website and a photo of m friend's banger he ran back in 1940. As he had a sprayer system also.
    Never told me he had issues with it though!!??

Do they sprayers have to be angled in any specific direction?
    Do they need or should be made with any specific circumference of tubing?

I see that it looks as if by the photos that Don Ferrara had two small valves inline in the oil routes to the sprayers?? Was this to dial in the oil flow to certain areas? Restrict it more here,...give more oil there,..kind of thing.

The only other talk I've had concerning the sprayer system is with a friend who is a diesel mechanic. He tells me that he had never seen any issues arise out of it, but again, this might just be nothing more than one man's experience.

Thanks a million guys!

30. This was covered with yourself in the September '07 and June '08 Banger meets!