Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Crow gets a new experimental 4 banger !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I haven't wanted to say much about the new race engine that has been in the works for over a year now, until she was finished and successfully fired and run..... Well,..... I'm happy to say that today was the first firing, and it was quite successful. So now I'm ready to share it with you.

As you can tell from the pictures, this is not your average banger.
    The concept came to me a few years back when I purchased a pile of 4 banger speed equipment, and in with all the stuff, was an odd looking cam. After a bit of head scratching, it was determined to be a reverse induction model A cam. Hmmmm, how interesting I thought. What a great idea..... I asked around for quite awhile to some of the racing old timers, but nobody had any info on a reverse flathead. It had been done before with a Crager head, but I could find zero info on it ever being done to a flathead. So I decided to try.

With the help of Max and Max at H&H flatheads, and the Old Crow racing team,, Logan Davis, Tyrel Pennington, Lucky Burton,Drew Peitsch and myself,..... the dream is finally a reality.

We won't know for sure what she can do until Bonneville, but she sounds incredibly healthy.

Enjoy the pics, and the video.
    Here is Logan,... proud of the crazy intake manifold he made..... We'll try fuel injection later this year, but for now, we'll stick with strombergs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the video of the second firing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMTMPi2KLOw
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMTMPi2KLOw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMTMPi2KLOw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

my brain hurts just looking at it! I love it.

3. wow.....that's awesome... how long till ya whack a Ardun head on there, or start cutting up subaru heads.....?

Look forward to hearing how it performs..

Cheers,

Drewfus

4. Greezy

Greezy

The new engine looks great Bobby, good luck with the new record effort this year. The closer it gets the more bummed I get Im not going this year. The Whizzer is home safe keeping the 40 company in the garage.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Good luck at Bonneville!

6. Bobby, very cool! Makes me think of the possibilities with the Banger I have!

7. I'm getting exited! Can't wait!

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Forgot to ask if this was based on an Ed Winfield Two up Two down setup with a special crankshaft as well.

9. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Unfortunately, I'm not giving up any internal info on this motor yet. I gotta get some runs in first. But I'll share the info at a later date.

10. I'll come check it out on the salt. Good luck with it.

11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

yeah... that thing sounds BAD ASS...
    nice work.

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, now that looks cool! Good luck with it!!

13. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Sweet BG and crew!

14. Can you say why reverse induction without giving away the internal secrets?

And, why is he tapping on the carb?

Thanks,
    Kurt

15. 29 de soto

29 de soto

i'm goin on monday/tuesday...i want to hear and see it first hand

16. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Have you put it on the dyno yet? Good luck !

17. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

That thing makes my pants tight.

18. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Sure Kurt. To achieve real power with an engine, you want to cram as much fuel mixture into each cylinder on the downstroke as possible to get the biggest bang for your buck. The stock banger has Siamese intake ports, which means that two cylinders are fighting for the fuel and the fuel has to take a fork in the road to get to the valve. This way, each cylinder has it's very own, intake runner with little obstacles. So "theoretically", a bit more fuel mixture can find it's way in than with a stock intake. Make sense? It's all theory, but you get the idea.

As for the carb tapping.....? Sorry.. that's a speed secret. haha.... no just kidding. We haven't rebuilt the carbs yet, and one had a float that was sticking and overflowing the bowl.
    Tapping helped.

19. that intake is gorgeous. I hope I can make it out to Bonneville this year if work permits. It is a lame excuse considering the fact that I live an hour from there...I gotta see these machines run.

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ok, that's just nuts, and an excellent idea (theoretically at least). So was the intake designed for a boost (ram) at a certain speed, or was that neat looking curvy set of pipes made for ease of packaging (if you will say;) fully undestand if it's a secret).

Odd no one had heard of that (using the exhaust ports for intakes), it's a real 'duh, why didn't I think of that' concept (or at least it seems like it to me, after you mentioned it of course :D)

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

How you gonna drive bangggging on the carb behind your Head? :)

OR Have you come up with a automatic hammer with a string?

Seriously:

Better make a 2 into 1 pipe to slip over those Zooooooomz unless you think it will run 7000 :eek:

See you there!!

22. Ooh - I see flames! I love flames! Sounds nothing like the four banger in my ol' Sedan....

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

so will you have to wear a hop-up 100mph shirt inside out or backwards now? :)

nice job...it sounds real good
    Zach

24. Bobby,
    That looks great and I like the idea of trying the reverse cam and I can see the logic behind it. I hope it goes really well for you at Bonneville.
    NOW I wish I was really going to be there!
    I would like to know more about the internals when you are ready to disclose that info.
    Greg

25. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

You bungie your buddy to the outside and give hime some goggles! So cool!

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very cool.........see you on the Salt.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

27. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow, very cool!

28. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

MY GOD!!! Thanks for sharing that Bobby....hope to see it run someday....thanks..

29. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bobby doesn't have to strap anyone to the outside of the car!!

If it's no faster than last time the guy car run along side!! :)

But he'll need too LOOK COOL doing it :)

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is what Henry Ford did on his LSR run on Lake St Clair in 1904.