Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tom Cobbs: Part 3

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 12, 2008.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If that was originally a coupe, he sure went to a lot of trouble to make it look like a roadster. Coupes and roadsters are very different. Look at the length of the doors and the hinge and handle location. Also, only the roadster has the bead on the cowl.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It was never a coupe. It was a roadster with a fabbed hard top.

3. @freudiger -

First off, Welcome to the H.A.M.B. !!!

I believe this is a pic of the "Freudiger / Cobbs Modified Roadster" at Bonneville in 1958:

Tom Cobbs ~ Phil Freudiger Roadster.jpg

While I whole-heartedly agree with your statement that "This kind of stuff needs to be written down so it is not lost", I think it's a real disservice to post inaccurate facts about something ... as already noted, the car is obviously a '29 Model A Roadster:

thumb.jpg

... perhaps your grandfather assisted Tom in cutting the top off a coupe to fashion a removable hardtop for Tom's roadster (so Tom could run it in the Coupe class) ???.

The HAMB is a great resource and archive of Hot Rodding history ... and I think @Ryan did an excellent job of researching and documenting the story of the Tom Cobbs Roadster ... be sure to read all three parts of his Blog [Part 1 (click HERE), Part 2 (click HERE), and Part 3 (click HERE)] ... as well as all of the comments, info & pics that folks posted on the message board.

Next time you talk to your grandfather, please ask him for more stories about his good friend Tom Cobbs ... and/or Dry Lakes racing in the '50s.

I know I (and other HAMBers) would greatly appreciate you sharing any info / pics that you are able to gather from him.

I'd be more than happy to assist you with posting pics here on the HAMB ... just "PM" me.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Stand up piece. Outstanding photos from Coby. Slim

5. Wow, unreal!

6. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Darn fine looking car. Does anybody know what kind of grille shell that is on that car? It almost looks like it might be some kind of vintage tractor grille. It's a very nice look.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

1932 De Soto. 32DeSotoModSC.jpg

8. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

WOW

Sure was fun following this history.
    It's so cool when there new things to be learned about this historical guys and cars.
    Inspirational to say the least. So many nice details to look at.
    I like looking at cars that have parts and solutions that are made out of a functional point of view and not looks.
    The fuel tubing around the carbs for instance.

I'm praying it will never be restored. I can understand some guys fondness of Pebble beach, but I would hate to see this one chasing points there.......unless they make a class for untouched cars.

I'm still indignant from reading about te restoration of the Kougaz roadster some years ago. "Had to make a new belly pan 'cause the orig one involved to much work straigtening out" :(
    my2cents

Thanks for sharing this with us in such a way you all have done.
    It makes a difference!! :)

Paul

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Here's one high profile "restoration" that I was a little disappointed in.
    aprilmayjune2008 038.jpg

aprilmayjune2008 039.jpg

0805sr_02_zray_allisons_model_a_roa.jpg

0805sr_01_z+ray_allisons_model_a_roadster_pickup+.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

GREAT Article! GREAT Pics! Hemi 32 found the Cobbs link to my Slop Rods post from this morning, and I had to go back to read this again-- Original, well-preserved hot rods do it for me more than anything else... Nice work Fellas!!

jay

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This car has been a favorite of mine for years - right after Bruce L. sent me an envelope full of photocopies including the Motorsports article.

These pics of Tom standing next to the car and messing with the engine are great.

12. freudiger

freudiger
    from California

So, it started as a coupe, right?!?!?!

13. It started life as a roadster. Tom used closed car door tops grafted to roadster doors and a coupe roof so he could run coupe class all mods are clearly visible and could easily be changed back to the roadster that survives today.

14. Jimmy B ... I was looking through some of my '50s "Little Books" today ... and stumbled upon that same "Hot Rod Roundup - Fireman's Special" article:

HOT ROD Handbook No. 129 - Page 74.jpg

... and these two other pics of Tom Cobbs roadster:

HOT ROD Handbook No. 129 - Page 12.jpg
    HOT ROD Handbook No. 129 - Page 81.jpg

... in FAWCETT's (circa 1953) HOT ROD HANDBOOK #129

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  15. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

What a great story Ryan.Great job

16. omerc51

omerc51

Best Hot Rod Article i have read,just a great read great story..

17. Just a bump of an "old" thread (from 2008) ... with a clip from the Americarna "Hot Rods and Dragsters" episode ... which included a segment about Tom Cobbs' roadster:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  18. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Watching "The Snake" getting a kick out of driving a blown flathead, well is just bitchen.

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. frank spittle

frank spittle

Count me in with the "Tom who?" crowd. I am sure I ran across his name in the 50 plus years I have been in hot rodding but not enough to stick. It was not until hearing his name mentioned with Fran Hernandez at Goleta and it being the first organized drag race. I did some research on that race and found out his remarkable influence on the early days of hot rodding. He certainly is one of the greatest "no names" we have had.

20. Goosebumps.... That's an incredible find.